Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to remove the back seat rear cover?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Plastic, apparently snap-on covers on the back of the split fold rear seat. I have one that rattles and I want to pop it off and goop it up. Very tempted to pop it off but just in case there is some sort of clever attaching system, I don't want to bust it.

I have located two rattles/noises. When I put down the rear pass seat - it is gone.

The most common it seems is the latch and mechanism. I used hockey tape around the u-channel latch and that took care of quite a bit.

The other seems to be a rattle/grinding/creaking from inside the rear seat above and outboard of latching mechanism. I think I have located it and will work to see if I can eliminate this weekend. It mostly happens when the car has a torsional load on it - like over bump or turning sharp corner slowly.

I put my seats down and the rattles diminished - but still there at times.

Does look like the U latch contributed to it, even though I put electrical tape on it. Maybe didn’t put enough - going to try felt tape next.

my theory is also the latching mechanism inside the seat itself. If you “peel open” the felt cover that hides where the U latch attached to the seat, there is a Philips screw and latching mechanism. Probably need to find a way to stop those from rattling.

I removed my back seat back plate to fix some rattles. Here is what you need to know. The driver side rear seat back plate was secured by whole bunch of push pins along and 4 plastic hooks at the bottom. If you start pulling from top all the way down, you should be good. Interesting enough, there are no hooks for passenger side rear seat plate,

1660771008369.png

I removed my back seat back plate to fix some rattles. Here is what you need to know. The driver side rear seat back plate was secured by whole bunch of push pins along and 4 plastic hooks at the bottom. If you start pulling from top all the way down, you should be good. Interesting enough, there are no hooks for passenger side rear seat plate,

View attachment 842020
What did you fix when you took off the seat cover?

After I took it off, and since put it back on, im convinced something isn’t sitting right (despite all 10 clips being in there spot), and now I hear an occasional loose plastic sound like one of the pegs or the back cover hitting the seat lol.

And still didn’t fix the occasional squeak (which started when I taped the latch to fix the rattle) that my rear seat makes when i go over bumps

What did you fix when you took off the seat cover?

After I took it off, and since put it back on, im convinced something isn’t sitting right (despite all 10 clips being in there spot), and now I hear an occasional loose plastic sound like one of the pegs or the back cover hitting the seat lol.

And still didn’t fix the occasional squeak (which started when I taped the latch to fix the rattle) that my rear seat makes when i go over bumps
nothing in particular besides one of the bottom hook is not latched in out of the factory. So I re-hook all 4 hooks and taped up some wires. It didn't help much though. The major rattle sources are still the u-latch and the bolster mentioned here(Refreshed Model S - rear seat rattle)

While you guys had the rear driver seat back off, did you notice if there might be a possibility of cutting out a pass through opening for skis where the arm rest is located in the refresh 2021+?
I don’t think so, there are lots of bars flowing around there and from the rear, it looks like one unit, not an arm rest + seat.

However maybe I’m not interpreting it properly, this is what it looks like with the cover off.

8FE9D73C-7B45-452A-AC0E-E30DD86B83E3.jpeg
B9D99856-7077-40E1-B578-33F006AD5BDB.jpeg

I don’t think so, there are lots of bars flowing around there and from the rear, it looks like one unit, not an arm rest + seat.

However maybe I’m not interpreting it properly, this is what it looks like with the cover off.

View attachment 843120View attachment 843121
Thanks so much, you saved me lots of, what would appear to be fruitless work! Great photos!