Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How To Remove The Back Seat?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think this is what you are lookking for...I removed it in about 5 minutes. Do not pull up on the seat cushion on the rear side (where it meets seat back) or you can bend something!

Step 1: take two larger flathead screwdrivers and insert them on each side of the "grommet box" that holds the rear seat in place. This is 12" in from each door where the seat meets the carpet. If you run your finger you will feel them and the slot on each side. That slot is for a grommet tool but mine didn't work so I just used the trusty old flathead. Turn the screw driver so the flathead hits the bottom of the very large white grommet (you can see it if you bent down and peer into the crack and pullling the bottom of the cushion away a bit). Use a light folks...makes it much easier to see and get your bearings on this. The screwdrivers will be one under the other most likely but doesnt matter.

Step 2: use knee to be pushing down on one and your hand down on the other. you will feel it when you are under that hard plastic grommet...and did i mention its ewwwggggg.

Step 3: At the same time as pushing down, use your free hand to pull up on the seat bottom right in between where the screw drivers are. It sometimes takes a few tries...or maybe a few more than that....but one you get one you will get the few for it.

Step 4: Do second grommet on other side and the seat bottom pops right out.

as always, use patience. It will come. Good luck.

Attachments

• Z - STEP 1.jpg
    Z - STEP 1.jpg
    411.9 KB · Views: 2,874
  • Z - STEP 2.jpg
    Z - STEP 2.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 2,627
  • Z - STEP 3.jpg
    Z - STEP 3.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 2,642
  • Z - STEP 4.jpg
    Z - STEP 4.jpg
    352.2 KB · Views: 2,654
Good luck, as you want those type of safety items put back in properly. Technically every time you pull your seat belt/seat bolts you should use new ones...my friend designed auto seats and explained how the bolts are stretched when put to torque, and that tension is part of the design to have them as safe as possible. Lots of engineering involved but thought I would pass it on. Mine are out right now and I will be putting new bolts in when replacing. Make sure you torque to exact spec...torque 40 Nm (rear seat belt bolt)

Hi All,

I am a new member and relatively new Tesla owner. I am trying to install seat covers on my 2018 Model S (took delivery in September). Unfortunately I can't figure out for the life of me how to remove the back seat bottom cushion so that I can install these covers. I am unable to locate the grommets mentioned in Happy Happy's post. And if a try just simply pulling up the seats don't budge. Any suggestions?

Hi All,

I am a new member and relatively new Tesla owner. I am trying to install seat covers on my 2018 Model S (took delivery in September). Unfortunately I can't figure out for the life of me how to remove the back seat bottom cushion so that I can install these covers. I am unable to locate the grommets mentioned in Happy Happy's post. And if a try just simply pulling up the seats don't budge. Any suggestions?
Since my last post I actually just grab the front bottom of the seat about a foot in from each side (see pic where the loop is that goes down into the grommet) and give it a hard jerk up. It may take a couple times but it just pops out. Note when you replace that seat cover you will need to cut the metal loops that hold it on and then replace them with a similar ones. I got mine off of amazon for cheap and it works great. Good luck

Attachments

• seat.jpg
    seat.jpg
    288 KB · Views: 2,334
Thanks! I was able to pop the seat up. Unfortunately, the seat covers I bought did not look good once installed on the seat bottom. The seat bottoms looked "baggy". So I am now trying to find other options.

I'm considering to buy a 2018 Model S 75D but would like to swap from the new back seat with a raised middle position to the old flat style bottom cushion. (So I would fit in the middle seat when my daughter's driving...) Despite a lot of searching I've been unable to find a picture of what the bottom of the 2018 seat looks like to verify if this would work.
Does anyone know what the bottom of a late 2017 or 2018 back seat looks like? Is it flat or is the part under the raised middle position hollowed out? If so the supporting metal frame under the cushion ought to be higher in the middle. And then it might changed to make room for a different charger underneath...

Any information regarding this would be very appreciated :)