Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It might help, but im a bit more pissed off I have to take some type of unique steps and remember certain actions to take when I am getting home on a $64,000 dollar car. Zero of my other cars needed this foolishness to not turn into a mold factory. They just worked normally. Even the cheap beater ones. We shouldn't have to pay for poor design quality.

My BMW did this also. They also wouldn’t fix or clean it for free.
Not suggesting this should be happening, but most cars, high end or low end have design flaws.
We pay for those also. Design flaws that are a danger are addressed. All others are a crap shoot.
Same goes for all manufacturers.

Not saying we should have design flaws.
I’m suggesting these are a fact of life in the manufacturing world. The more complicated and new something is, the more chances we will see some design issues.

Gotta pick your battles on which ones to fight I guess.

Yep, I just noticed mine doing this again also, but since I'm driving about 3 miles a week now, not surprised. Definitely seems like there should be an option to run the AC after putting in park for 30 minutes or something to dry it out.

Has anyone tried just changing the cabin filter (with no foam treatment)? That fixed it easily on my GTI. Could access the cabin filter under the glove box on the GTi. The remove filter did not seem to smell on its own. But it sure did when the car blew air in through it.

It might help, but im a bit more pissed off I have to take some type of unique steps and remember certain actions to take when I am getting home on a $64,000 dollar car. Zero of my other cars needed this foolishness to not turn into a mold factory. They just worked normally. Even the cheap beater ones. We shouldn't have to pay for poor design quality.

I’ve done a few of these for some buddies in Baton Rouge. If you need help let me know. Don’t mind helping or doing it for you in BR. Did my personal vehicle as well.

Reactions: NOLADriver
I think 08micev solution will work. I use a similar foam product to keep the evaporator coils in my central home AC clean. Don’t run the fan without the AC on and don’t run the heat to dry. It’s the AC condensation that drip cleans the foam off the coils. I also have specific fin brushes to clean and straighten out bent fins but I don’t think they will fit in the opening.

Attachments

• C39F1CB1-969A-4A79-8B8C-FE3CFC155721.jpeg
    C39F1CB1-969A-4A79-8B8C-FE3CFC155721.jpeg
    438.5 KB · Views: 100
and yet my car suddenly started to smell in the last few weeks :( I really don't understand how they haven't fixed this with software to prevent moisture build-up from condensation.

how long after the cleaning? i did mine a few weeks ago and haven't worried about trying to run the fan when coming home, and it's still fine (knock on wood)...

even if it comes back, having to do this once a year or every other year isn't something i'm really worried about. it's a PITA to get to the filters to do the cleaning and swap but it's not something i would consider overly difficult or complicated. if i have to add cleaning the coils to my annual maintenance, so be it. i guess i'll grab a couple more cans of klima cleaner to have them on hand since they go out of stock on amazon often...

edit: like it is now. damnit.

I notice the a smell every once and a while but when my wife gets in my 3 notices it more than me as she has a better nose, not really sure I’m going to go through all the trouble to fix it right now unless it gets worse. I will try to run the fan as some are and see what happens.

how long after the cleaning? i did mine a few weeks ago and haven't worried about trying to run the fan when coming home, and it's still fine (knock on wood)...

I've never had to do the cleaning and never had smell problems until recently. I get that it's not hard to fix, but it really seems like this should be something they can prevent with software.

Unlike less advanced ICE cars, the Tesla HVAC system has no problem running after we exit the vehicle and they have plenty of information on system temperatures and outside temp/humidity to predict when they should run a "drying mode" before letting the car sit idle.

Yep, I just noticed mine doing this again also, but since I'm driving about 3 miles a week now, not surprised. Definitely seems like there should be an option to run the AC after putting in park for 30 minutes or something to dry it out.

Tesla did wrap this into an update last year I think. I've never really heard the fans much after getting out of the car. I've got a can of Kool-It I"m going to spray on the coils this weekend. I tried just changing filters but that didn't do the trick so now it's time for the can.

Unlike less advanced ICE cars, the Tesla HVAC system has no problem running after we exit the vehicle and they have plenty of information on system temperatures and outside temp/humidity to predict when they should run a "drying mode" before letting the car sit idle.

The Nest thermostat does this as well, running the blower for several minutes after shutting off the A/C compressor. Their stated purpose is to wring all of the cold out of the coils and into the house, but this has the side-effect of minimizing condensation (and thus mold/mildew).

Yup, was at the SC yesterday and they said they use the same product. They use one can, and run the heater for about 15 min before the process to warm up the gunk, then do the process making sure to evenly coat the evaporator, and then the fan after. I will be knocking it out tomm.

mine just started smelling again tonight. i literally did the cleaning and filter swap less than a month ago.

if this continues, i'm going to schedule service for them to look at it...clearly for it to return in less than a month, the car isn't drying the AC coils after each drive like it should be.

Update on mine. The cleaning was easy. My only hint was get a helper to hold the can for you and spray it when you tell them to. Its pretty impossible to see in the space and monitor the product coverage. I had a helper hold the can and spray it when I said, my other hands were holding the end of the tube to guide it for full foam coverage, and holding my phone with the light on so I could see in the area with the screen on video. It worked pretty good, but I would consider two cans if I was forced to do it again. The SC said they use one can, and I did too, but seems like I could have covered it better. They also suggested running the heater on high for 15 min beforehand to get everything warm to clean. I did that.

But....After I did it I ran the AC on high for 5 min and then when I was getting ready to button up the long trim panel I noticed water leaking from the bottom of the unit. Very alarming, I quickly put some shop towels down and noticed it leaking from a seam in the case near a black ground wire, and also from the very bottom rear of the unit. I turned it all off for about 30 min and came back and checked again on high A/C and it was leaking water all over the towels. I let it go for a bit and wondered if the drain tube got clogged or something. After a few sessions of this It eased up and barely dripped. I have been monitoring it with the panel off and when I stop checking the new towels for wetness and it seems to have stopped. I am a bit alarmed at this and wondered if it happens but no one notices because they put it all back together so quickly. OR is this the actual cause of my musky smell because water has been getting trapped in the unit.

Anyone else have the water leak after the procedure ?

mine just started smelling again tonight. i literally did the cleaning and filter swap less than a month ago.

if this continues, i'm going to schedule service for them to look at it...clearly for it to return in less than a month, the car isn't drying the AC coils after each drive like it should be.

same here except mine was done by mobile service last year. So much for the firmware update :(