Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last summer I did the foam cleaning just to have the smell return by the end of the summer. This summer, since the car was getting it's two year service done, I opted to have the filters replaced. That also worked for a little while, but I started to notice the smell again.

Now I'm trying the "cabin overheat protection to no a/c" trick and that seems to be working.

Here is some information that might help those of you who are still struggling with this odor/smell.

I too recently did the foam cleaning and cabin filter change myself. It definitely eliminated the smell. However, the smell I had prior to this service was not the moldy/musty smell that most everyone has been describing. My smell was more chemical in nature. Hard to describe exactly, but it was definitely noticeable. Thankfully, the smell only stuck around for the first 10 seconds or so after I initially turned on the cabin fan and/or AC. After that, the smell would completely dissipate/disappear. I took delivery of my vehicle almost 1 year ago (in early August 2019) and started noticing this chemical smell about 2 months ago.

When I called my local Tesla SC to order the OEM cabin filter, they thought it was a bit unusual to change the cabin filter so soon. So, I described the problem/smell to them. They looked up my VIN and quickly came back to inform me that Tesla has a newer/updated part for the HVAC system. It is called an "inner duct plenum" and is supposed to improve drainage in the HVAC system. I guess the "older" inner duct plenum design did not allow for complete/proper drainage of the condensate. So, this may be what is causing the smell to return for some or many Model 3 owners. My vehicle was built in July 2019. So, I do not know exactly when Tesla starting using this newer/updated "inner duct plenum" part in their production.

Attached is a copy of the Service Order from my local SC, which describes/shows the optional quote for the inner duct plenum (see line item #2). As you can see, the part itself is very inexpensive ($11) and labor to install is also inexpensive/reasonable at just $58. This can be done by Tesla mobile service. Therefore, I presume it would be a relatively easy DIY job for those who want to avoid the $58 labor charge.

I have decided to wait & see if my particular chemical smell returns. If it does return, then I'll probably either have Tesla change the inner duct plenum or buy the part and do it myself.

Hope this helps some and good luck!!

Capture.JPG

Here is some information that might help those of you who are still struggling with this odor/smell.

I too recently did the foam cleaning and cabin filter change myself. It definitely eliminated the smell. However, the smell I had prior to this service was not the moldy/musty smell that most everyone has been describing. My smell was more chemical in nature. Hard to describe exactly, but it was definitely noticeable. Thankfully, the smell only stuck around for the first 10 seconds or so after I initially turned on the cabin fan and/or AC. After that, the smell would completely dissipate/disappear. I took delivery of my vehicle almost 1 year ago (in early August 2019) and started noticing this chemical smell about 2 months ago.

When I called my local Tesla SC to order the OEM cabin filter, they thought it was a bit unusual to change the cabin filter so soon. So, I described the problem/smell to them. They looked up my VIN and quickly came back to inform me that Tesla has a newer/updated part for the HVAC system. It is called an "inner duct plenum" and is supposed to improve drainage in the HVAC system. I guess the "older" inner duct plenum design did not allow for complete/proper drainage of the condensate. So, this may be what is causing the smell to return for some or many Model 3 owners. My vehicle was built in July 2019. So, I do not know exactly when Tesla starting using this newer/updated "inner duct plenum" part in their production.

Attached is a copy of the Service Order from my local SC, which describes/shows the optional quote for the inner duct plenum (see line item #2). As you can see, the part itself is very inexpensive ($11) and labor to install is also inexpensive/reasonable at just $58. This can be done by Tesla mobile service. Therefore, I presume it would be a relatively easy DIY job for those who want to avoid the $58 labor charge.

I have decided to wait & see if my particular chemical smell returns. If it does return, then I'll probably either have Tesla change the inner duct plenum or buy the part and do it myself.

View attachment 561584
Thanks for this! I just scheduled a service appointment to have the HVAC Inner Plenum replaced. We'll see what they say. I also ordered new filters and the Kool It kit just in case Tesla tells me to go fly a kite.

Last summer I did the foam cleaning just to have the smell return by the end of the summer. This summer, since the car was getting it's two year service done, I opted to have the filters replaced. That also worked for a little while, but I started to notice the smell again.

Now I'm trying the "cabin overheat protection to no a/c" trick and that seems to be working.

so cabin overheat protection w/ no AC is a work around? I have it set to off since I'm in the garage most of the time these days.

View attachment 561584

I have a May 19 build. Surprised that they're charging for this seems to be a design flaw. They didn't charge me for the replacement filters and clean last year

I was able to run the AC on high sitting in my driveway with the windows down for a couple hours. This removed the smell 95%. I also run the ac for an hour a couple times in the winter. I don’t know if this fix was just lucky that it worked for me but it might be worth a try.

also when the car is parked at work we have the overheat protection set to AC. So it probably now runs a lot on sunny days in the spring and fall.

View attachment 561584

I have a 2019 (purchased September) Software-Locked Standard Range Plus (or Standard Range) M3. I also have the smell but it's not as bad as you mentioned for your vehicle. For my car, it only takes a couple of seconds for the smell to dissipate after enabling the HVAC. I also just got off the phone with a Tesla rep. just right now. He told me that there are no pending bulletin (or pending part replacements) for my vehicle. Although I cannot confirm 100%, I can say with 80% certainty that my vehicle has this new part already installed for Models bought on September and onwards.

I was able to run the AC on high sitting in my driveway with the windows down for a couple hours. This removed the smell 95%. I also run the ac for an hour a couple times in the winter. I don’t know if this fix was just lucky that it worked for me but it might be worth a try.

also when the car is parked at work we have the overheat protection set to AC. So it probably now runs a lot on sunny days in the spring and fall.

doesn't this use a lot of energy/range?

I've noticed that the smell only seems to occur after it's been sitting in a hot area. When I wake up and pull my car out of the garage, the smell does not occur as the A/C is running. However, when I'm leaving work after a full day lately, now that it's sunny and hot, the smell all of a sudden pops up. I'm not sure if it has something to do with the heat warming up something and causing it, but now that I read someone else's response about the cabin overheat A/C protection that makes sense - my car is running the cabin overheat all day and the condensation is probably building up, then when I get in at the end of the day to leave and the A/C blasts up it smells bad. Not sure I want to turn off that cabin overheat protection though, or move to fan only, as I live in San Diego and it gets HOT - don't want to cause heat damage to interior. Please let us know if the plenum fixes the issue, otherwise I'll try out the kool-it and filters.

It would be good if they indeed redesigned the drain pan. I also wonder if part of the problem is that the filters are 1) so close to the evaporator, and 2) there are two of them, with a seam down the middle between them when installed. Air follows the path of least resistance, so unless there is a rigid gasket or something between the two filters when they are installed, I bet more contaminants get past the filters than there would be if there was a single filter.

Here is my small contribution to this automotive HVAC smell problem. This problem is real for all vehicles and this solution actually works.

As you are approaching your final destination for the day turn off the AC but leave the fan running. I have found about 3 to 5 minutes is all it takes. Apparently running ambient air through the ductwork causes it to reach a temperature equilibrium and helps prevent moisture from condensing within the ductwork. I do not know of a solution to an existing smell problem other than performing some sort of cleaning action and replacing the filter.

I hope more than a few will read this solution and pass it on.

Here is my small contribution to this automotive HVAC smell problem. This problem is real for all vehicles and this solution actually works.

As you are approaching your final destination for the day turn off the AC but leave the fan running. I have found about 3 to 5 minutes is all it takes. Apparently running ambient air through the ductwork causes it to reach a temperature equilibrium and helps prevent moisture from condensing within the ductwork. I do not know of a solution to an existing smell problem other than performing some sort of cleaning action and replacing the filter.

I hope more than a few will read this solution and pass it on.

yeah, that has been mentioned as a potential solution a few times. the thing is that we're trying to figure out a way to fix it without manual intervention and having to remember to do something on every drive...

It's good to know it's been mentioned already. In my opinion it is worth repeating. This practice has worked for me since 2004. If you forget to turn off the AC during your last 5 minutes then just run it that way for a few minutes after you park. Preventing the problem in the first place is so preferrable I cannot imagine somebody not doing it that is aware of this prevention behavior.

It's good to know it's been mentioned already. In my opinion it is worth repeating. This practice has worked for me since 2004. If you forget to turn off the AC during your last 5 minutes then just run it that way for a few minutes after you park. Preventing the problem in the first place is so preferrable I cannot imagine somebody not doing it that is aware of this prevention behavior.
The thing is that the car does this automatically now. If you park the car after using the A/C and come back 15 minutes later, you should hear the fans running. If you turn off the A/C before parking, it may prevent this automatic "dry cycle" from kicking in (although I haven't tested that).

I cleaned the evaporator with Klima Cleaner and changed the filters about a year ago, and the smell hasn't returned so far (knock on wood).

Last edited:
the car does this automatically
I am pretty sure the fan running after you get out of the vehicle is associated with the battery cooling and not the interior HVAC because I've gone out to the garage when my spouse told me the fan was running. I got in the car to see if I forgot to turn it off and there was no air movement from the HVAC going on inside the car. I suppose this is something Tesla could automate if they wanted to.

I am pretty sure the fan running after you get out of the vehicle is associated with the battery cooling and not the interior HVAC because I've gone out to the garage when my spouse told me the fan was running. I got in the car to see if I forgot to turn it off and there was no air movement from the HVAC going on inside the car.
It takes about 10-15 minutes after parking the car before it kicks in (presumably to let most of the water drain first). It's different from the cooling pump. You can hear the "whooosh" from outside in the frunk area.