TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

How to remove the sticky black stuff on the edges of the pano roof

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by astrotoy, Aug 19, 2013.

1. astrotoy

astrotoy Member

At my last service, I think they put on some extra of that black sticky stuff (think it is a sealant) for the edges of the panoroof. However, when I open the roof, a thin line of the stuff comes out onto the roof. Is there a good solvent to remove it? Any longer term solutions without having to drive back to Fremont? Thanks.

2. strider

strider Active Member

3. TokyoRush

TokyoRush Member

They replaced all of that stuff at my last service. Apparently this was a problem with a lot of the early pano roof installs. Oh, and at the same time they were able to fix my sunroof so it doesn't make any noise - :biggrin:

4. Trnsl8r

Trnsl8r Blue 85kwh since 12/8/12

Tesla service fixed that for me on warranty in February or something (although I should note that I didn't take it to service just for that).

5. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

that SAME exact thing happened to me. I just used window cleaner and wiped it pretty hard until it came off. Guess bug & tar removal would have been easier....doh

6. astrotoy

astrotoy Member

Thanks to all. I used some lighter fluid and the stuff came off. Now to try the roof again to see whether it reappears.

7. olanmills

olanmills Member

GooGone worked for me, but then I also needed some water and a little hand soap to remove the residue that GooGone leaves behind.

8. JakeP

JakeP S P4996 / X P6028

I was told this was "butyl rubber", which would be scraped out and replaced with a higher temperature lubricant at my annual service.