Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to Remove Wall Charger/Stop Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So this is absolutely a "newbie" question. I have a 2021 Model 3 Performance. I have the Tesla wall charger. I charge anytime I am at home. I have to try 2-3 times to get the cord out of the car, so I think I might not be doing something correctly. If the car is plugged in and has completed charging, I to the plug (car end), push the button on the handle and hear some clicks. I then try to pull it out, but it does not come out. I push the button again, and sometimes a 3rd time (I don't count) before I can get it out. What am I doing wrong? Although the batter is at 90%, the green light on the charger still indicates that power is flowing to the car, I assume that's from scheduling departure/pre-conditioning. The behavior is pretty consistent, so I'm thinking it's user error!

Small, but annoying issue.

Thanks,

Todd

When you push the button on the HPWC handle and hear clicks, the charger port is "unlocked" and the handle should just withdraw. If that's consistently not happening (e.g. it feels like it's still locked in there), then you probably need a service call to fix the locking pin. I've seen reports of this online in the past.

Just to be sure, try explicitly stopping charging from the car/app first - you should hear the pins unlock and the light should no longer be pulsing green. If the handle still isn't withdrawing easily, schedule service.

According to the owner's manual of the Tesla Wall Connector, you are supposed to press AND HOLD the button on the plug handle. From the manual of the Gen 2 connector:

When charging is complete, the light stops pulsing and turns solid green. 1. With the vehicle unlocked, press and hold the button on the Connector handle, wait for the charge port indicator light to turn white, and then pull the Connector handle out of the charge port. Note: To prevent unauthorized unplugging of the charge cable, the vehicle must be unlocked or able to recognize a key nearby before you can disconnect the charge cable.

I have a Gen 2 HPWC, and you only need to press and hold the button if the car is currently asleep (charging light is not illuminated); if it's awake (as the OP indicates theirs is by the green light), a single quick press will immediately halt charging and unlock the charge port. Same as for a supercharger.

In any case, if you're hearing the pins unlock (loud clicking noise) and the charger doesn't easily pull out, it sounds like a physical problem. Just to be 100% sure, OP: you should try with a Supercharger if there is one nearby, to determine if it's your car or your HPWC plug.

I had this exact thing happen to me and trust me, it will get worse. If you are certain you hear the "click" after pressing the button as others have said and that click is coming from the area around the plug opening (and not the bottom of the car), then your "locking" pin is likely not retracting far enough. Open a support and mobile will come out and replace your plug from inside the rear. It took them about an hour for mine.

Also, if it degrades to a point where the pin will not retract enough to unlock no matter how many times you try, first verify it is not charging in the app and on the HPWC via it's LEDs, you can pull a manual pin release inside the driver rear carpet/side side panel. I had to do that a few times until the mobile service appointment. And if this is happening at home, it could very easy happen at a supercharger will it will be more of an issue. Again, make CERTAIN you are not charging via the app and pull the manual unlock. If you manually release while charging, especially 100s of amps at 400V, you run the risk of arcing.

Reactions: pnwadventures
I had this exact thing happen to me and trust me, it will get worse. If you are certain you hear the "click" after pressing the button as others have said and that click is coming from the area around the plug opening (and not the bottom of the car), then your "locking" pin is likely not retracting far enough. Open a support and mobile will come out and replace your plug from inside the rear. It took them about an hour for mine.

Also, if it degrades to a point where the pin will not retract enough to unlock no matter how many times you try, first verify it is not charging in the app and on the HPWC via it's LEDs, you can pull a manual pin release inside the driver rear carpet/side side panel. I had to do that a few times until the mobile service appointment. And if this is happening at home, it could very easy happen at a supercharger will it will be more of an issue. Again, make CERTAIN you are not charging via the app and pull the manual unlock. If you manually release while charging, especially 100s of amps at 400V, you run the risk of arcing.
Good advice. I definitely hear it click, then I pull on it, but it does not come out. I click it again and maybe a third time and it comes out. I assumed I was doing something wrong. I'm going to pay more attention and report back!

So....I went out to the garage, this time I pushed the button while it was charging but I WAITED UNTIL THE LIGHT TURNED WHITE as suggested above, then pulled it out. It came out fine that way. I think I might have just been engaging in premature withdrawal (insert "that's what she said" joke here). I'll try it again in the morning. There is a short delay between pushing the button on the handle and the light turning white, so maybe that was it. Thanks for the advice, everyone.

So this is absolutely a "newbie" question. I have a 2021 Model 3 Performance. I have the Tesla wall charger. I charge anytime I am at home. I have to try 2-3 times to get the cord out of the car, so I think I might not be doing something correctly. If the car is plugged in and has completed charging, I to the plug (car end), push the button on the handle and hear some clicks. I then try to pull it out, but it does not come out. I push the button again, and sometimes a 3rd time (I don't count) before I can get it out. What am I doing wrong? Although the batter is at 90%, the green light on the charger still indicates that power is flowing to the car, I assume that's from scheduling departure/pre-conditioning. The behavior is pretty consistent, so I'm thinking it's user error!

Thanks,

Todd

Press and hold the button while you pull out. You have to learn your pull out game.

Thanks,

Todd
Don’t push the button . It will automatic open once you push the button on the charger part of it , and it will close in its own