TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

How to repair a ripped out front bumper

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by joer00, Apr 19, 2016.

1. joer00

joer00 Member

I had one of those "I am a complete idiot" days. Many times when I parked I did hear a very light scratching noise when coming to the "park stopper" indicating that the stopper was a little higher then my car. Usually no big deal and with another tiny noise one can back out.

But this time it did not work, something got completely stuck and I ripped out the left part of my front bumper when backing out. Getting out of the car it looked like I was just in a major accident ! However I could push all back in and the bumper seems to be 100 % ok. However some of the brackets and holding parts broke and I had to temporary "duct tape" the bumper to the fender.

Going to a "Tesla approved pharmacy body shop" will for sure cost me an arm and a leg. So seeing what kind of work some members on this forum do, it should be easy to fix this myself. (As a background, I just did a complete overhaul of a 23.000 pound wheel loader torque converter and gearbox, so no repair newbie....).

So I guess what I need to do is:

1.) Completely remove the front bumper
    2.) Check for damaged part and replace them
    3.) Mount the bumper back.

I hope somebody here did this already and can tell me the exact steps, hopefully with also some pictures how this looks unmounted. Also where would I get any parts ? I assume I only need some tiny plastic parts and screws, is that something Tesla would sell ?

Below are some pics, its hard to see the damage, I tried my best :(

As browsing pics on the Tesla browser is always a paint, I attach thumbnails and the originals can be seen here:
    Bumper Damage

IMG_1960.JPG IMG_1961.JPG IMG_1962.JPG IMG_1963.JPG IMG_1965.JPG IMG_1967.JPG IMG_1968.JPG I

2. joer00

joer00 Member

I posted below thread and the only response I got was a PM of an owner with the same problem telling me that he went to a shop.

As many people rebuild cars, I am sure there must be somebody who can PLEASE help how I fix my ripped off front bumper. More details and pics are in the thread below.

How to repair a ripped out front bumper

3. trils0n

trils0n 2013 P85

I seem to remember a headlight removal thread detailing the front bumper removal and installation proccess. Not sure if that's what you're looking for, but might be worth a search.

4. joer00

joer00 Member

• Like x 1