Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to Replace Center Console Sliding Door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone tried to replace the sliding door in the facelift center console? I have a 2016 MS with the black door and would like to change it out with one of the carbon fiber ones they offer in the newer version of the console.

I bought the "CF sticker" but don't like the fit so I didn't put it on. The actual carbon fiber version of the sliding door is approximately $75.00

Any idea how much disassembly it takes to DIY change out a door?

If so, picts/videos would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Has anyone tried to replace the sliding door in the facelift center console? I have a 2016 MS with the black door and would like to change it out with one of the carbon fiber ones they offer in the newer version of the console.

I bought the "CF sticker" but don't like the fit so I didn't put it on. The actual carbon fiber version of the sliding door is approximately

$75.00 from Tesla ? We bought this one as our Model S was build during that short period when there was no dash material on the sliding door. $25 and no assembly required.

https://www.rpmtesla.com/product-page/center-console-sliding-drawer-wrap-many-materials

Any idea how much disassembly it takes to DIY change out a door?

If so, picts/videos would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
$75

Any more input on how to change the lid/sliding door? I'm in the process of changing it out for Carbon fiber as well and not sure how hard/difficult it would be as a DIY. Any input would be much appreciated!

@Reekdog - did you succeed with the swap? If so, would you share how it worked out? Thanks! :)

Any more input on how to change the lid/sliding door? I'm in the process of changing it out for Carbon fiber as well and not sure how hard/difficult it would be as a DIY. Any input would be much appreciated!

@Reekdog - did you succeed with the swap? If so, would you share how it worked out? Thanks! :)

No input so far and I'm still reluctant to dive in on my own. I plan on stopping by the SC and chatting up one of the mechanics to see if I can get anymore info. BTW, I did find this video from DAERIK that shows how to access the phone charger flip door

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: UNC2K3 and evster
No input so far and I'm still reluctant to dive in on my own. I plan on stopping by the SC and chatting up one of the mechanics to see if I can get anymore info. BTW, I did find this video from DAERIK that shows how to access the phone charger flip door

Thanks a lot for posting that video. Maybe it is as easy as just pulling the sides off like Erik did in the video. And hopefully it is not necessary to pop the entire side panel off to access just the sliding door in the front part of the console.

I'll also try and see if I can get some more info from my local Service Center. Let's update in this thread if we do find out something of value

FInally got it done... Here's a shot of my 2016 Black model S. The only one anywhere with Gray interior and a carbon fiber sliding door (lid)! At least for now anyway...lol

The carbon fiber sliding lid id a bit sturdier that the original. It doesnt require the removal of anything but the lid itself and attaches with 6 posts to the (lid tray).

Here's the final product. It was a simple replace that took around 3 mins. My local service center did it for me.

Attachments

• underside-of-sliding-lid.jpg
    underside-of-sliding-lid.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 1,045
  • new-lid-changeout2.jpg
    new-lid-changeout2.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 933
  • carbon-fiber-lid_installed.jpg
    carbon-fiber-lid_installed.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 926
Last edited:
Just ordered the door here in the U.K. It costs £56 and Tesla want £80 to fit it!!

Can you please confirm the fitting instructions and if it’s easy for me to do it myself.
See post #13 above for pictures. Basically, you pull the sided of the console apart just enough so the edges of the lid come free. Then you pull the lid top towards the seats so it disconnects from the tray it rides on and reverse the process to attach the need one. Hope that helps