Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HOW TO: Replace Headlights in Refresh (2016+) Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the informative posts on this issue. My 2016+ model S has this 'signature' light failure. I read somewhere else that "a simple preventative fix for this problem might be to place a resistor in series with eyebrow LED string. Spliced inline, try 100 Ohms, 1 Watt for good measure. Just to take some pressure off the LEDs." has anyone tried this ?
In the UK it's not so easy to source replacement headlight units and I want to protect the other headlight.
My 2nd question is .....can I replace the original A with an F version if one becomes available ? Looking at the post from Che..it would appear so....Thanks

Technically, you can do this from the wiring harness side/connector side as well. Just have to figure out the pins.

That might work, but I guarantee you it will be a Pita. These lights are sealed with permaseal adhesive. Opening them up is a real chore.

There is a G revision now that was released in Summer 2021.

I replaced D with F but it shouldn't matter what revision you have, doesn't look like there are any external changes.
Dang they just came out with yet another revision? I was hoping my F replacement last month would finally fix the issue. My right side is a D revision from last summer and my left is a F revision from a month ago. My left was previously replaced two summers ago with a D revision. Seems like one of my lights fails every year and gets replaced under warranty. How have they not fixed this issue yet? It must be costing them a lot.

I have a late model 2017 75 S and I’m at 3 1/2 years and 60K miles. I keep waiting and looking for a light failure and so far nothing. Not even yellowing. My buddy has a 2020 S and has had to replace 2 of them.
just makes me wonder what is different about some of these cars that might explain such drastic longevity differences.

• Informative
Reactions: Cheburashka
I have a late model 2017 75 S and I’m at 3 1/2 years and 60K miles. I keep waiting and looking for a light failure and so far nothing. Not even yellowing. My buddy has a 2020 S and has had to replace 2 of them.
just makes me wonder what is different about some of these cars that might explain such drastic longevity differences.
Do you possibly drive with Range Mode enabled?

Do you possibly drive with Range Mode enabled?

I drive with range mode enabled which keeps the DRLs off while the car is moving. Probably why mine (early 2019 build) hasn't shown any issues yet with the lights but I am sure at some point the issue will crop up.

It's a shame that this is a.) an expensive part to replace and b.) not a super easy replacement. Most cars do not require removing the bumper to change the headlight assembly.

@nomis_nehc
no I stopped using range mode a couple years ago. Even on longer road trips. Found it to be mostly useless (to me).
it’s funny....I pull up to store fronts all the time and find myself specifically looking at the cars reflection in the glass and noting the lights. I keep expecting to see one of them out .......
if it finally ever happens I’ll be ready with my DIY I guess. LOL

Got a G revision driver side headlight that appears brand new (still has clear plastic film on the lens) for US$190. I'm going to undertake this replacement myself. Wish me luck!!
Replying to my own post. I completed this job in about 2 hours. One word of advice: when you are putting the bumper cover back on, make sure the tabs on the lower edge of the bumper cover engage with the slots on the underbody panel and that everything is aligned properly underneath before starting to bolt everything back up. The headlight itself was a bit of a challenge to get in place - you just have to keep wiggling it around until all four bolt holes align. In my original post I didn't mention that I got the new headlight on eBay. I would rate this as moderately difficult but well within the capabilities of a DIYer.

This guide was awesome, thank you!!!! I did mine this weekend with an ebay revG purchase and it went great!

I have a March 2017 75D. Had the same light replaced by Tesla at about 40K miles. Now I am at 56K, and of course they want $3k to replace them. Eye was 50% burned out on driver side and the passenger side is just starting to yellow.

I would make two mods to the guide. One, when removing the trim pieces to the frunk. The little rubber stopper piece would not unscrew for me. The bolts on mine were a bit rusted. I found it really easy to just pull the trim out around the stopper. The rubber is plenty flexible enough to fit through the holes. Second mod to the guide would be to use a universal joint socket adaptor instead of the wobble. I found it easier to get it tight that way. Wobble works too, but the U joint made it a bit easier.

Anyone have any theories about why it is way harder to find passenger side lights on ebay? I bet there are 10 to 1 more drivers side than passenger.

Reactions: Cheburashka
This guide was awesome, thank you!!!! I did mine this weekend with an ebay revG purchase and it went great!

I have a March 2017 75D. Had the same light replaced by Tesla at about 40K miles. Now I am at 56K, and of course they want $3k to replace them. Eye was 50% burned out on driver side and the passenger side is just starting to yellow.

I would make two mods to the guide. One, when removing the trim pieces to the frunk. The little rubber stopper piece would not unscrew for me. The bolts on mine were a bit rusted. I found it really easy to just pull the trim out around the stopper. The rubber is plenty flexible enough to fit through the holes. Second mod to the guide would be to use a universal joint socket adaptor instead of the wobble. I found it easier to get it tight that way. Wobble works too, but the U joint made it a bit easier.

Anyone have any theories about why it is way harder to find passenger side lights on ebay? I bet there are 10 to 1 more drivers side than passenger.

My theory, because that's the demand. If the passenger side is what mostly everyone is looking for then, of course you'll have less of it and more of the driver's side.

Replaced headlights today... latest revision is "G"

Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
HD/LP ASY, SAE UP-
LEVEL, RH(1053571-00-
G)
Correction: Headlight - LH (Remove & Replace)
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
HD/LP ASY, SAE UP-
LEVEL, LH(1053570-00-
G)
Correction: Headlight - Adjust - North America

• Informative
Reactions: Yezhik and vraev
I had my drivers side headlight replaced by tesla about the moths ago. Pretty painless procedure via the app and in warranty.
However the replaced headlight now has moisture inside of it. Had the unit failed? Passenger side original is still perfect. Do tesla replace moisture problem headlights?

Ditto.
2017 Model S 100D here with general warranty expired some 2 months ago. Today noticed in an underground parking lot that left side eyebrow has started to turn a yellowish at the inner end. Will not be paying Tesla said 1000€+ to get the whole fixture replaced. Now looking for a new headlight assembly, preferably G-rev.

Yes, but apparently not the extended warranty. So get it fixed in the first 4 years. :)
Why wouldn't it be covered under the ESA (Extended Service Agreement) aka extended warranty? ESA is the same but includes 1) a purchase on the front end and 2) a deductible for each visit (can be multiple repairs) to repair. Are you sure you're not extending the extended warranty with the battery/motor warranty?