Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to Replace the Tesla Model S Headlight Bulb (Non-Tech Pkg)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Stephen Where are you located? The wiring for your bulb is very different compared to mine. I'm in the US.

Yeah taking the wheel off makes a huge difference. I didn't have a jack i was confident lifting the model s with. What Jack did you use?

Glad you got the bulb removed.

Thanks for the write up. I'm stuck at this point. Not sure how to remove the old bulb. It won't budge counter-clockwise and I don't want to break anything. Any ideas?
Looks like an Hid headlamp. If so, this a D series, either a D1 or D3. I believe there is a locking ring which is a real pain to undo. You need an extra joint or two in your upper limb!! The bulb itself does not twist. Once you have it out you will need to check the notches on the plastic collar to determine whether you have the D1 or 3. Those notches locate the bulb. When I did mine I removed the entire headlight ( instructions on this site), since I was going from a 25 watt bulb to 35 watt and also had to change the ballast. ( in Australia, different spec to USA, and was a D 8.). Much the easiest way to change bulb, but a big deal since you have to remove bumper bar.

Stephen Where are you located? The wiring for your bulb is very different compared to mine. I'm in the US.

Yeah taking the wheel off makes a huge difference. I didn't have a jack i was confident lifting the model s with. What Jack did you use?

Glad you got the bulb removed.

Mine is also US though maybe my vin is a lot lower? 5xxx
I use a costway 3-ton heavy duty jack

How to Replace the Tesla Model S Halogen Headlight Bulb (Non-Tech Pkg

Thanks a bunch for these instruction on how to replace the bulb without removing the wheel! I have the Tech package, but its mostly the same. @StephenM link to David Drives Electric video was also very informative in this respect but that method involved removing the wheel and I'm not equipped for that.

It was a bit painful for the hand though (more specifically, the thumb on the edge of the hole) when you try to unlock/lock the lamp in place. Perhaps I should have asked my wife who has smaller hands, but I'm quite sure she would have refused to 1) participate in this DIY thing instead of taking the car to the SvC, and 2) touching any HV electric part despite my reassurances that the light was off, etc! Anyway, happy to save 1.2 k$CAD.

Reactions: loganss
TMC is the gift that keeps on giving. :)

Thanks for the DIY instruction & photos. The later video is also very helpful. My 2013 Model S (vin 3xxx) requires a headlight change.

Depending on Chinese quality, my reference to the earlier post of trying to help a member locally but the bulbs wouldn't lock into the housing is a real risk on this DIY. Mine are still going strong but I feel bad that I couldn't get his to work :(

Has anyone gotten a service center to replace a bulb? I've been to 2. One tried to tell me there is no bulb, it's all LED and the other couldn't tell me what the cost would be except over $1200 for the entire fixture.
No. I asked the same thing and they said the whole thing needed to be replaced. When I told them about what I read on this thread they didn't know anything about it.
I did purchase bulbs from Amazon as someone here had recommended. I could tell that they were not as bright as the OEMs. But you get what you pay for and these were not costly. I replaced them myself, bit of pain but doable.
Unfortunately a few months later my car was in an accident after someone ran a red light. Well during the repair they replaced both headlights so now I have OEM bulbs again.

Also, are there any references for a shop that actually knows how to complete an alignment on our Tesla model S units ??
The local Tesla Service center in Santa Clara, CA apparently can't even get this completed. Went in pulling right. Picked up, and still pulls right. Car for 100k and handles like im blown away! This location didn't even understand the term
-bump steer- ....It seems as though most of the Tesla tech repairs are completed with laptops and there is no need for some of these alignment guys to understand steering & suspension fundamentals.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
My 2013 has pulled right for as long as I can remember. I’ve done everything down to machining custom rear control arms To correct toe issues. I get an alignment at a shop I trust in SoCal every time I change all four tires. I still pull right. Can’t explain it

amazing!! I live right here where Tesla builds these cars. They can't seem to correct these simple issues. But, they know how to crank on adjustment bolts until the alignment machine turns the red specification bars green. -its in specs- is all they can seem to tell you. The kicker is the dont seem to have a great understanding of what they are adjusting in relation to end performance factors. They have NO list of recommended parts to replace (that would cause a steering pull or the extremely poor handling results) I enjoy driving and getting lost in the twisties. I can't push my Tesla at any corner. That's just sad!!! Sexy tech car with balls, and no way to steer through. Whats the point?

I was thinking about ordering these and trying... the dimensions are pretty close but it is a little long. I would be afraid of putting the ballast too close to the plastic and melting it or causing a fire. Could this be done with the size discrepancy?

This link has the sizes for the LED LED Headlight Kit - 9005 LED Headlight Bulbs Conversion Kit with Built In Fan | High Beam and Low Beam Headlight Bulb | Front Exterior LED Bulbs | LED Lights | Super Bright LEDs

And this link has sizes for a hallogen 9005 http://www.perdeauto.com/images/9005-65-BX2_specs.jpg
Does this fit? I'm interested

Thanks so much for the details and photos! I was able to replace my halogen bulbs on my 2013 P85 (without tech package) with SEALIGHT Scoparc 9005/HB3 6000K LED bulbs successfully. No error codes, plug and play, didn't have to remove tires or trim inside frunk. It was quick and easy.

Here's the listing on Amazon:

Reactions: FlatSix911
Where did you put the LED ballast? The bulb and the plug have a ballast in between them. And the rubber boot that covers the light is extremely close to the bulb, so there is no room inside the headlight assembly for the LED ballast. You must have made a hole in the boot? I am worried the LED ballast gets too hot.