Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to report a bad supercharger on the in-car nav?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Macon, GA. Apparently there used to be superchargers downtown. They've been demolished. Yet the in-car nav sent us there. Luckily there is a new supercharger 10 miles down the interstate and I had enough juice to get there.
Now I can't, for the life of me, find a way to report this via the app or the tesla website. How do we contact them?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220731-214645_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20220731-214645_Maps.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 107
You can try calling Tesla's general support number: 888-518-3752

A couple of years ago I called them (don't recall if it was this number) when a stall was down. The agent said that they were able to look at them remotely so there was no need to call them.

• Informative
Reactions: GOVA
Did the In-Car Nav send you there, or Google Maps? That photo uploaded in the first post doesn't look like it came from Tesla Nav

Macon, GA. Apparently there used to be superchargers downtown. They've been demolished. Yet the in-car nav sent us there. Luckily there is a new supercharger 10 miles down the interstate and I had enough juice to get there.
Now I can't, for the life of me, find a way to report this via the app or the tesla website. How do we contact them?

Going only by what the OP wrote, the in-car nav sent them to the demolished site. My assumption is that the photo that was posted came from somewhere else (Google?) showing that the site was closed, thus the confusion why Tesla's own navigation system didn't/doesn't know that the site no longer existed.

Going only by what the OP wrote, the in-car nav sent them to the demolished site. My assumption is that the photo that was posted came from somewhere else (Google?) showing that the site was closed, thus the confusion why Tesla's own navigation system didn't/doesn't know that the site no longer existed.
Bingo. App in car sent is there, then we used google maps to see where it's supposed to be (and saw it marked permanently closed).
I just didn't want the car to send anyone else there if I could do anything to help.

Bingo. App in car sent is there, then we used google maps to see where it's supposed to be (and saw it marked permanently closed).
I just didn't want the car to send anyone else there if I could do anything to help.
So does your car currently show a location pin on the nav for that location? Where were you navigating to when the nav told you to charge there? As I said upthread, this location is not showing as a supercharger in the nav so I'm trying to figure out how this happened.

Yeah good Q. I just did a software update last night, but who knows with their rolling updates...

So for my specific issue it's probably not a big deal. But in general, is there a way to provide feedback to the mothership if we find something worth reporting?

That doesn't preclude calling Roadside Assistance and telling them your story. I had to call for Roadside Assistance on my most recent trip this summer and they answered very quickly and gave me an idea what to do, it was wrong, but they were nice.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Just because they don't have a way for you to tell them about the bent pin doesn't mean they won't discover it and send a crew. They just look at the stats for all the chargers and if one of them stops getting people using it they know after a few days it must be broke. Now will they send a crew today? Probably not, so help your fellow traveller and toss that cord over the top of the charger so others know it's out of order.

Reactions: GtiMart
Just because they don't have a way for you to tell them about the bent pin doesn't mean they won't discover it and send a crew. They just look at the stats for all the chargers and if one of them stops getting people using it they know after a few days it must be broke. Now will they send a crew today? Probably not, so help your fellow traveller and toss that cord over the top of the charger so others know it's out of order.

I did put it over the top of the charger.

And because they CAN detect it through usage stats, do you really think they would? You have much more faith in Tesla than I do for reacting to 1 charger out of 12 not getting used for several days. I would much prefer to call them or message them in some way to let them know.

I do have faith as I see them at Superchargers all the time fixing them, and when I stop in and gab they are so proud to tell me about how important it is to their team to keep them up and running. I was the one who posted when Oakhurst got all their cables cut and 4 days later I was back and they had all been replaced.

If your concern is "How dare Tesla have a single broken stall" I don't get that, there are likely 12 or more stalls at any given Supercharger. One being out is not a big deal, especially since it can show in the Nav if any of the stalls have been detected as non-functional.

Two the the 6 EA stalls have been down at the station near me for months, and the Power Company's OWN DCFC station in front of their building has been entirely powered down for months. Tesla doesn't act like that, but they also don't throw good money after bad. Paying a guy to twiddle his fingers waiting for you to call and say a single charger is broken is not a good use of salaries. Let the machines do the things they are good at.

I think Tesla has found that putting a human in reach of a customer leads to bad results. People asking "How'd you get your job?", "When's the Semi gonna be released?" keeps people from doing the job that actual customers need done. It's kind of a drag sometimes, but they are really working hard on being as optimized a company as they can be.

I remember when Apple opened the Genius Bar (I worked there) and TheOnion implied what they really were: