Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to report issues to Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a new Model 3 owner and reading through a lot of these forum posts has me wondering, how do owners report issues to Tesla? I know you can schedule a service appointment via the app, but is that the only way to let Tesla know that many people are experiencing major problems? I've called the Tesla Service # a few times and it take an act of God to get someone on the phone, depending on the numbers you press during the automated call. I would like to think Tesla has come up with a way for owners to report issues regarding their daily usage of the car so that they can focus on fixes that are impacting a lot of people, but I'm just not sure if such a thing exists.

I'm a new Model 3 owner and reading through a lot of these forum posts has me wondering, how do owners report issues to Tesla? I know you can schedule a service appointment via the app, but is that the only way to let Tesla know that many people are experiencing major problems? I've called the Tesla Service # a few times and it take an act of God to get someone on the phone, depending on the numbers you press during the automated call. I would like to think Tesla has come up with a way for owners to report issues regarding their daily usage of the car so that they can focus on fixes that are impacting a lot of people, but I'm just not sure if such a thing exists.

I think it depends on what is your goal. If you need specific thing to be fixed, the best way is to schedule an appointment via Mobile App. Tesla will review and respond (and probably cancel). This is not helpful for Customer Support-like requests like ‘Wi-Fi is not working’. For that, I would use the forum. Even when I talked to Tesla at a Service Center, I already knew more from the forum.

And the last resort is to report an issue via NHTSA. You can also review Tesla Service Bulletins, these are pretty helpful to troubleshoot (again, I was referred to some specific issues and SBs via the forum).

Reactions: TX_M3P+
All really great suggestions. I'm more focused on ensuring that Tesla knows about issues that are impacting a large number of owners, like the "phantom breaking" issue that started after a recent update. I'm sure that there is no service center fix for such a thing and that the issue will likely be fixed via another update in the future, but I think if more people report the problem then it may get prioritized higher in their fix list. For this, I think the "Report Bug" option that XLR82XS mentioned is the way to go. Now, if we could just get everyone to use it...

Press the right scroll wheel on the steering wheel and after the tone say: "report bug"
Won't work for service but it helps to report issues.

Everything I've read is that doesn't report anything at all.

It basically just bookmarks the logs locally on the car in case service needs to reference them when you request service for your problem so they can see what it reported it was doing when you had an issue.

Otherwise nobody ever sees any of what you report and it never goes "out" to Tesla.

(and considering they've produced over a million cars at this point there's obviously no way they could have enough actual humans listening to those anyway)

Reactions: afadeev and brkaus
All really great suggestions. I'm more focused on ensuring that Tesla knows about issues that are impacting a large number of owners, like the "phantom breaking" issue that started after a recent update. I'm sure that there is no service center fix for such a thing and that the issue will likely be fixed via another update in the future, but I think if more people report the problem then it may get prioritized higher in their fix list. For this, I think the "Report Bug" option that XLR82XS mentioned is the way to go. Now, if we could just get everyone to use it...

Tesla already has this info - they know that when driver takes over, it is likely indicates some issues with autopilot. They auto-collect this data. Now, they have this data in volume, many thousands of events per day. Any individual report will unlikely be read by a human, as it will be very costly in terms of cost/benefit for Tesla. So I would not waste your and Tesla engineer’s time to report/process.

You are new. That phantom braking problem is not. It's been there for a loooong time. Sometimes seems to get better/worse with new builds.
True, I'm new. But I would think that the more people report these types of issues the more focus Tesla might put on fixing them. Experiencing the phantom breaking issue is quite startling and makes me not trust TACC and AutoSteer as much as I'd like to.

But I would think that the more people report these types of issues the more focus Tesla might put on fixing them.
LOLOLOL yeah you really ARE new. Thanks for the laugh though!

What they choose to work on, and how they prioritize things is a total mystery.

Do we all WANT a better understanding of their priorities? Yes, and people have been begging for it for years. Tweet spamming Elon is your best hope in making it happen. Wish you the best on your mission!

(I feel the same as you about TACC/Autosteer)

Reactions: afadeev and TX_M3P+
True, I'm new. But I would think that the more people report these types of issues the more focus Tesla might put on fixing them. Experiencing the phantom breaking issue is quite startling and makes me not trust TACC and AutoSteer as much as I'd like to.

It would only work if Tesla processed such requests. This is the only issue here. Most of the forum would’ve reported things like that.

Reactions: TX_M3P+
You can select "contact Us" but they disable the screen when it's convenient for them. I tried it today and when you "select" the first dropdown, nothing happens. It's kinda like their phone menu, except the phone menu keeps you pressing buttons for minutes, still to get no useful help.

I'm pretty sure they understand that there are phantom braking problems. There are certain edge cases in the sensor data and path prediction that will be very hard to fully resolve - lighting/shadows, stationary cars parked near the line of travel, cars drifting towards the lane, odd radar reflections. The opposite of phantom braking is failure to stop if necessary. These have to be balanced. I may be wrong, but I really doubt they are just ignoring braking.

One should not fully trust TACC or autosteer IMHO.

Yes, it is super frustrating that there is no good way to report things. I'd just like the darn speed limits fixed. And AP1 doesn't solve it either - the loaners I have had do a terrible job in my area for some reason too...

Reactions: afadeev
I'm a new Model 3 owner and reading through a lot of these forum posts has me wondering, how do owners report issues to Tesla?

This is certainly one way:
tesla-buyer-takes-delivery-immediately-crashes-model-s-update-supercharging-mishap.jpg

Seriously, though, outside of twitting @Musk, there are no verified feedback loops to Tesla.

I would like to think Tesla has come up with a way for owners to report issues regarding their daily usage of the car so that they can focus on fixes that are impacting a lot of people, but I'm just not sure if such a thing exists.

You are trying to think rationally. Tesla ownership doesn't work that way.
It's more of a religious cult, then a consumer product company that is looking for customer feedback!

You are new. That phantom braking problem is not. It's been there for a loooong time. Sometimes seems to get better/worse with new builds.

In fact, it's been around so long, that it is more of a "feature", then a "bug".

Experiencing the phantom breaking issue is quite startling and makes me not trust TACC and AutoSteer as much as I'd like to.

Nor should you any time soon, unless you are ready to upgrade your vehicle through a crash and a subsequent insurance payout (it doesn't take much to total a Tesla, thus the insurance rates).
There have been multiple ongoing, repeatable, consistent TACC and AutoSteer failure points on my daily commute to work. After more than a year and a half of TM3 ownership, none of the error conditions got solved with the myriad of OTA updates.
Some error conditions get slightly worse, others get slightly better, then they flip flop again with the next upgrade.

TACC and AS are far from being reliable or trustworthy.
That should tell you all you need to know about the future of FSD.

It is what it is.

It's kind of sad reading a lot of the responses to this guy's question, people are treating him like an idiot because he expects some level of customer service. He's right, it's nearly impossible to contact someone at Tesla. Their phone menu is a nightmare. We've had serious issues with our car (control arm failure) and it's basically impossible to get help.

Reactions: Jamezam and TX_M3P+
It's kind of sad reading a lot of the responses to this guy's question, people are treating him like an idiot because he expects some level of customer service. He's right, it's nearly impossible to contact someone at Tesla. Their phone menu is a nightmare. We've had serious issues with our car (control arm failure) and it's basically impossible to get help.

Maybe make a new thread for that, since this thread is several months old now.

No, I wouldn't recommend that either, because then you will get pages and pages of "Did you use the search option before posting this? There's already a thread on this," etc, etc, etc.

That only tends to happen when someone starts off with "is my battery normal? I am checking my teslafi data..." or any other discussion that says something like "I am not getting my rated range", or What tires should I buy?"

For some reason, this website loves stories of bad customer service... and putting the mod hat on for a moment, because those are usually different peoples experiences we dont tend to merge all those together.

Status
Not open for further replies.