Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

how to reset algorithms on 2014 S 85kw battery replaced under warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

teacher

Dec.'14 P85DL '18 MX 100D
Oct 15, 2021
the Golden state
I just got my car back yesterday after 5 weeks at the SC for replacement of the 85kw battery. part # 1088815-01-B I could not find this anywhere in Tesla's parts catalog in fact I could not find any 85kw batteries. when I got the car back it still has the range readings and energy stats as it did previously 235 mi full charge. New 85kw came with 265 mi. my question is how long does it take for the BMS to recognize there is a new battery? thanks in advance for any help.

The remanufactured batteries generally will not have the same range as a new battery, since the batteries are not new. Tesla only says they will replace with a similar remanufactured battery about the same age and with the same range as the old battery. You may get more than your old battery, but don't expect new.

The remanufactured batteries generally will not have the same range as a new battery, since the batteries are not new. Tesla only says they will replace with a similar remanufactured battery about the same age and with the same range as the old battery. You may get more than your old battery, but don't expect new.
so they remanufactur batteries to match the battery its replacing? I would think that would be difficult and cause a lot of problems for the battery to fail quicker.

Yes, the general observation of the countless battery replacements detailed on this forum is that the “remanufactured” packs often have significant degradation. They’re definitely not new cells.
I know they are not new cells but for them to be like the ones being replaced does not make sence. remanufactured yes to be like like when new. not remanufactured to be like used and have degradation already. I just sold a 13' S 85kw had 28k mi. still got 256 mi of range if that battery somehow failed they would replace it with a remanufactured battery that would get at least 256 mi. range? see what I'm getting at? a remanufactured part no matter what it is should be as good and perform as a new part. When you buy remanufactured ICE vechicle parts they are just as good as a New part same performance etc. like buying a remanufactured alternator it won't produce less charge then a new alternator.

There is no such thing as a remanufactured cell. There is a new cell, or there is a used cell.

The cells in your remanufactured battery pack are used. There’s no way around this.

The terms of the Tesla HV battery warranty state that a battery replaced under warranty should have at least as much capacity/range as the battery they replace. Sounds like they met that threshold in your case.

This is as good as it gets. Your battery is not new and will not achieve the capacity/range of a new battery. There is no algorithm or learning that is going to magically make more range appear. What you’ve got is what you’ve got.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
They are going to take your old battery, fix any cells in error or that do not meet minimum specs, and then put it in another Tesla as a remanufactured battery. They will test that reman battery, and know what its age and capacity are. When a warranty claim comes in they will match their inventory with a similar battery in age and capacity. It will depend on the batteries in their inventory. They will match the closest battery in inventory that meets or exceeds your old battery when it was working in spec.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H