TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

How to restart Supercharger?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by JulienW, Dec 29, 2019.

1. JulienW

JulienW Active Member

I live in a condo and have to use a Supercharger. There happens to be one in the same parking deck. So I plug in and go back up to my condo while charging. Today (all stations full) stated charging at a slow rate. Headed back to my condo and even checked before I got on the elevator and was at about 20kW (slow). Got to my condo sat down and checked at it says Charging Stopped. I pushed the Start Charging button but nothing happened. I even opened the Stats app and used the Start Charging button and still nothing. Go back down and unplug and then plug back in and it started charging. What is the Start Charging button for if it doesn't work? Any idea why it would stop in the first place?

• Like x 1
  2. vickh

vickh Active Member

maybe try changing limits too.

• Funny x 1
  3. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Well-Known Member

Not a way to reset a Supercharger, but it may be more convenient to charge at the wall plugs that also in the deck, you can plug in and stay plugged in overnight.

4. JulienW

JulienW Active Member

Set to 80% and SoC was 29%.
    There aren't any 120 plugs. Also have assigned parking so even if there were there would have to be one at my space.

5. JulienW

JulienW Active Member

....So what does the Start Charging button do? Does it work on Level 2 only? If only Level 2 then why isn't it grayed out when connected to a Supercharger?

6. 640k

640k Member

are you sure someone didn't disconnect you?

7. JulienW

JulienW Active Member

1) How could someone do this?????

2) It was plugged in when I got to car and I just unplugged and then plugged back in.

8. 640k

640k Member

mine stopped at a bar, but it was just a wall connector and not a supercharger. there were dozens of people around my car, so anything could have happened. there was no damage to my car, so i let it go. the app alerted me that charging had stopped, so i got up, went out and re-seated the connector and charging resumed. no one seemed to mess with it after.

i know the connector is supposed to be locked if the vehicle is locked, but i guess anything could happen.

9. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

This happened to me once. I had to unplug and replug to get it working again. Annoying but it has happened 1 out of over 200 try’s so it is manageable.

10. JulienW

JulienW Active Member

Understand it CAN and DID happen BUT......why doesn't hitting the Start Charging button START CHARGING? What does the button do or how is it supposed to work? I hit it a dozen times and even tried Stats app Start Charging button but it would NOT start charging. I had to physically unplug and then plug back in.

So why have a Start Charging button if it doesn't do anything?

11. 640k

640k Member

if the connector was physically removed, you have to physically replace it. if you stopped charging through the app, you can start it again. we don't have enough information to know why charging stopped for you.

12. SSedan

SSedan Active Member

Start charging is for L1 and L2 charging where you probably leave it plugged in a lot. Maybe you have scheduled charging set up and want to start sooner you can trigger from the app.
    Bunch of ways I can be useful but not on a supercharger.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  13. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

That I do not know as restart did not work with me as well. I had to walk to the station and physically plug and unplug. So while annoying, since I could not reproduce I never logged as an issue. Sometimes things happen.

14. JulienW

JulienW Active Member

It was NOT physically removed and my car/port was locked as soon as I walked away. It stopped charging after I got up to my condo and I tried to restart and it wouldn't. I have no other inside information as to why the Supercharger stopped. I just know it stopped and pushing Start Charging would not restart it so I had to unplug/plug it.

15. MidwestM3P

MidwestM3P Member

My car has acted the same way a few times here lately while sitting in my own garage and charging on the UMC plugged into a standard wall outlet. I'll just randomly check my app and see that it shows "Charging Stopped," and I'll try to restart it using the app but it doesn't respond. Obviously, I know for sure no one has messed with the charger or the plug in the car and I had verified it started charging normally when it was initially plugged in; silly to have the "Start Charging" selection available in the app if it doesn't do anything.

16. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Well-Known Member

Take a look at Plugshare.com

17. MichaelP90DL

MichaelP90DL Active Member

I know the feeling. I had to enroll Tessie in a 12-step program.

• Funny x 1
  18. JulienW

JulienW Active Member

I live here in Atlantic Station. We have a Nested/gated parking lot in the parking deck that I must park in and assigned parking spaces we MUST use. There are NO PLUGS near my parking spot or any where in the Nested parking lot. I have looked.

19. JulienW

JulienW Active Member

Happened again today at the same charger (3B). It was the only one open but at least I got to 55%. Same thing that the "Start Charging" button doesn't do anything. Wonder why it is there. Did it ever work to start charging or is it new (don't remember but don't think it is new) and yet to be implemented?

IMG_2992.jpeg
    IMG_2993.jpeg

20. MidwestM3P

MidwestM3P Member

Do you have a Scheduled Departure set, by chance? For any date/time, not just when your charging stopped......