Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to restart Supercharger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JulienW

Jul 7, 2018
Atlanta
I live in a condo and have to use a Supercharger. There happens to be one in the same parking deck. So I plug in and go back up to my condo while charging. Today (all stations full) stated charging at a slow rate. Headed back to my condo and even checked before I got on the elevator and was at about 20kW (slow). Got to my condo sat down and checked at it says Charging Stopped. I pushed the Start Charging button but nothing happened. I even opened the Stats app and used the Start Charging button and still nothing. Go back down and unplug and then plug back in and it started charging. What is the Start Charging button for if it doesn't work? Any idea why it would stop in the first place?

Reactions: Dre78
mine stopped at a bar, but it was just a wall connector and not a supercharger. there were dozens of people around my car, so anything could have happened. there was no damage to my car, so i let it go. the app alerted me that charging had stopped, so i got up, went out and re-seated the connector and charging resumed. no one seemed to mess with it after.

i know the connector is supposed to be locked if the vehicle is locked, but i guess anything could happen.

This happened to me once. I had to unplug and replug to get it working again. Annoying but it has happened 1 out of over 200 try’s so it is manageable.
Understand it CAN and DID happen BUT......why doesn't hitting the Start Charging button START CHARGING? What does the button do or how is it supposed to work? I hit it a dozen times and even tried Stats app Start Charging button but it would NOT start charging. I had to physically unplug and then plug back in.

So why have a Start Charging button if it doesn't do anything?

Understand it CAN and DID happen BUT......why doesn't hitting the Start Charging button START CHARGING? What does the button do or how is it supposed to work? I hit it a dozen times and even tried Stats app Start Charging button but it would NOT start charging. I had to physically unplug and then plug back in.

if the connector was physically removed, you have to physically replace it. if you stopped charging through the app, you can start it again. we don't have enough information to know why charging stopped for you.

That I do not know as restart did not work with me as well. I had to walk to the station and physically plug and unplug. So while annoying, since I could not reproduce I never logged as an issue. Sometimes things happen.

if the connector was physically removed, you have to physically replace it. if you stopped charging through the app, you can start it again. we don't have enough information to know why charging stopped for you.
It was NOT physically removed and my car/port was locked as soon as I walked away. It stopped charging after I got up to my condo and I tried to restart and it wouldn't. I have no other inside information as to why the Supercharger stopped. I just know it stopped and pushing Start Charging would not restart it so I had to unplug/plug it.

My car has acted the same way a few times here lately while sitting in my own garage and charging on the UMC plugged into a standard wall outlet. I'll just randomly check my app and see that it shows "Charging Stopped," and I'll try to restart it using the app but it doesn't respond. Obviously, I know for sure no one has messed with the charger or the plug in the car and I had verified it started charging normally when it was initially plugged in; silly to have the "Start Charging" selection available in the app if it doesn't do anything.

Happened again today at the same charger (3B). It was the only one open but at least I got to 55%. Same thing that the "Start Charging" button doesn't do anything. Wonder why it is there. Did it ever work to start charging or is it new (don't remember but don't think it is new) and yet to be implemented?

IMG_2992.jpeg

IMG_2993.jpeg