Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to revoke v3 tokens - Changing password won't do it!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Xulio

Dec 12, 2021
Spain
Hello all,

I recently got a question from a member in our (Spain) community. His Tesla wouldn't sleep.

I asked if he was using any 3rd party apps; he was: Eevee, Tesla watch and other(s) he couldn't remember. So, no wonder why the car was not sleeping.

I advised the usual "Change your Tesla password and it will invalidate all existing tokens". He did - twice - but no avail.

I then advised registering the car with TeslaFi to have a bit more insight. Yes, yet another 3rd party app but it could give us some interesting data. Indeed, we could see the car wouldn't sleep.

He changed the password yet again and we were surprised to see that after that TeslaFi still had access!

I then tried on my own car. I just use TeslaFi. I changed my Tesla password and TeslaFi wouldn't lose access. I revoked my TeslaFi token and put in a new one. After that, I changed my Tesla password yet again and......... nothing. TeslaFi still had access.

So this is a long and winding way to say that tokens do not seem to get revoked now with a password change.

So my question to you guys is:
- Can you confirm/deny this suspicion?
- If this is so, is there any way to revoke all existing tokens at the moment other than changing the Tesla password?

Many thanks to anyone that can shed some light on this!

Reactions: bjhinkle
I suggest resetting the password via forgot password link under the login page. This should invalidate all tokens.
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried, and unfortunately it still doesn't.

Something's changed. Tokens are not invalidated now, which can cause quite a headache for some.

Not only in terms of battery health as it is getting a lot of unnecessary cycles, but also in terms of raw money "lost" due to lack of sleep.

Doing some quick numbers:
- Assuming the car is idling 85% of the time (means an avg daily usage of around 3.5 hours)
- Knowing that energy consumption during the idle is around 0.3 kW, with or without Sentry mode (checked with OBD and Scan My Tesla)

This means an idle consumption of 6.15 kWh per day.

Depending on the cost of energy this will represent more or less money. In Spain for example, for an avg cost of (being very conservative at current prices) around 0.20 EUR/kWh, this constant idling represents 1.23 EUR per day, or around 37 EUR per month, or almost 450 EUR per year (approx 1.39, 42 and 510 USD respectively).

So -- any other possible solution would be really appreciated!

Or -- how to get Tesla's attention to this?

Many thanks all!

Hello all,

I recently got a question from a member in our (Spain) community. His Tesla wouldn't sleep.

I asked if he was using any 3rd party apps; he was: Eevee, Tesla watch and other(s) he couldn't remember. So, no wonder why the car was not sleeping.

I advised the usual "Change your Tesla password and it will invalidate all existing tokens". He did - twice - but no avail.

I then advised registering the car with TeslaFi to have a bit more insight. Yes, yet another 3rd party app but it could give us some interesting data. Indeed, we could see the car wouldn't sleep.

He changed the password yet again and we were surprised to see that after that TeslaFi still had access!

I then tried on my own car. I just use TeslaFi. I changed my Tesla password and TeslaFi wouldn't lose access. I revoked my TeslaFi token and put in a new one. After that, I changed my Tesla password yet again and......... nothing. TeslaFi still had access.

So this is a long and winding way to say that tokens do not seem to get revoked now with a password change.

So my question to you guys is:
- Can you confirm/deny this suspicion?
- If this is so, is there any way to revoke all existing tokens at the moment other than changing the Tesla password?

Many thanks to anyone that can shed some light on this!
How do I revoke token access in my TESLA account? I’ve searched through the TESLA iOS app and searched online at TESLA.com after logging in but cannot find where to manage my token access. (Basically, I’ve logged in to TESLA.com using a viewer inside 3-4 third-party apps, and I’d like to clean it up a bit.)