Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to route ethernet along the outside wall to gateway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are live wires inside the GW after you take off the cover. The ethernet jack is at the top though.

IMG_9495.jpeg

• Helpful
Reactions: astrorob
But all you have to do is not touch any of the metal parts.
That's not a sufficiently robust safety strategy, particularly for the general public.

All breakers supplying power to the Gateway should be shut off before removing the dead front. And I guess if the internal panelboard has the breakers for the PWs, then those PWs should be shut off via their unit switch. Otherwise there is at least the possibility that the screws where the conductors from the PW attach to the breakers would still be energized.

Cheers, Wayne

Reactions: astrorob
That's not a sufficiently robust safety strategy, particularly for the general public.
Indeed. Nobody will write that down as policy. But I object to the desire on the part of some practitioners to convey an aura of magic regarding electricity. To be safe one must respect electricity and follow certain best practices like wearing gloves. But letting your eyes view what is underneath the deadfront does not put you immediately at risk.

i guess i will power it all down. i'm not afraid of electricity - i am an EE after all, but i'm not a power systems guy and have a healthy respect for high voltages. i've worked on networking hardware with 48VDC backplanes... that is probably more dangerous than this.

Power down the main disconnect and all Powerwall & inverter breakers. There should be an internal cover over the grid terminals. If not be extra careful since they are alive unless you pull the meter out or have a switch between the meter and the gateway.

Power down the main disconnect and all Powerwall & inverter breakers. There should be an internal cover over the grid terminals. If not be extra careful since they are alive unless you pull the meter out or have a switch between the meter and the gateway.

shouldn't the gateway be after the main disconnect breaker?

grid from under ground ---- meter ---- main disconnect ---- (new breaker installed in old main panel) ---- gateway --- backup panel --- house

?

shouldn't the gateway be after the main disconnect breaker?
The GW allows installing a line side breaker, which could be the main disconnect. So it can come directly after the meter.

In our area of the country where meter/mains are the norm, that's not an option, but in other areas meters are often in separate enclosures.

Cheers, Wayne

above my meter there's a user-accessible panel that has one giant throw switch, which i assume is the main disconnect. the meter box itself is locked of course since that's PGE's stuff. due to covid i didn't watch what the electricians were doing so i don't know if they somehow bypassed the main disconnect...

Here's my install. I ran flexible conduit from my network box and into the bottom of the gateway. Came out pretty nice and fingers-crossed it'll fix my stability issues.

Only mistake I made was drilling a 3/4" hole into the network box cover for a 3/4" knockout. DOH!!!

Attachments

• IMG_4394.jpeg
    IMG_4394.jpeg
    996.5 KB · Views: 82
I have two combined panel systems, two inverters, one PW and a Tesla Gateway 2. Inside the Gateway 2 is an Ethernet port as shown in earlier posts by others. When I connect an Ethernet cable to that port and a nearby hub connected to my home router, I see flashing green activity lights at the hub and the gateway port. Is this a plug and play connection or does some software need toggling? Would this connection replace the black Neo wireless boxes Tesla provided?

I have two combined panel systems, two inverters, one PW and a Tesla Gateway 2. Inside the Gateway 2 is an Ethernet port as shown in earlier posts by others. When I connect an Ethernet cable to that port and a nearby hub connected to my home router, I see flashing green activity lights at the hub and the gateway port. Is this a plug and play connection or does some software need toggling? Would this connection replace the black Neo wireless boxes Tesla provided?
It will automatically get an IP address from your DHCP server (router) and the Gateway will use any available connection among Ethernet / WiFi / Cellular as available. I actually deleted the WiFi information after I connected the Ethernet and the 3G Cellular is now unavailable in my area.

Reactions: GJones and jgleigh
i never got around to doing this. my motivation was that at times the wifi connection to the gateway becomes very flaky.

it turns out that this must be some kind of memory leak inside the gateway firmware. when it starts acting up, if i go reboot the gateway it starts working again and works for months at a time. i had assumed the problem was weak wifi but i don't think that's the case.

i have a couple of scripts running that query the API to send stuff to PVOutput, so there's sort of a lot of activity. plus the gateway is sending the data to tesla. perhaps all this API activity is the actual problem, not sure.

i never got around to doing this. my motivation was that at times the wifi connection to the gateway becomes very flaky.

it turns out that this must be some kind of memory leak inside the gateway firmware. when it starts acting up, if i go reboot the gateway it starts working again and works for months at a time. i had assumed the problem was weak wifi but i don't think that's the case.

i have a couple of scripts running that query the API to send stuff to PVOutput, so there's sort of a lot of activity. plus the gateway is sending the data to tesla. perhaps all this API activity is the actual problem, not sure.
N=1 I haven't had to reboot the gateway for anything other than Tesla handholding. It reboots itself (kind of) periodically with new firmware.

I wonder if your API calls are the cause, either by too many logged entries on the Gateway side, or just, as you say, a memory leak. If it is a memory leak, it would have to be somehow associated with the WiFi stack, but not the Ethernet stack (or the switch to Ethernet cable wouldn't have fixed it), which seems...unusual. Possible, but odd.

All the best,

BG

N=1 I haven't had to reboot the gateway for anything other than Tesla handholding. It reboots itself (kind of) periodically with new firmware.

I wonder if your API calls are the cause, either by too many logged entries on the Gateway side, or just, as you say, a memory leak. If it is a memory leak, it would have to be somehow associated with the WiFi stack, but not the Ethernet stack (or the switch to Ethernet cable wouldn't have fixed it), which seems...unusual. Possible, but odd.

All the best,

BG

all i can say is what i said: when it starts acting up, the cause is not RF interference or external wifi issues or the wifi base station, the problem is in the gateway. maybe it's the wifi interface itself that has a problem; no way to really know cause i can't reboot or power cycle just that part of it.

the TEG continues to respond to pings when it gets flaky, but many are dropped and many have latencies > 1s.

i never switched to the ethernet cable, so i have no idea if that would have fixed it. that was the point of my post. if others are hoping to gain reliability with the hardwired connection, it could be that staying on wifi + a reboot will solve the problem. if this happens with the hardwired connection as well, then everyone is in the same boat, but again i don't know.

API calls happen once every 5 minutes so over time that's a lot, but in terms of hammering the software it's barely anything.

Reactions: BGbreeder