Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to safely lubricate a NEMA 14-50 outlet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Plugging and unplugging my Tesla charger to my external 14-50 outlet is a chore. It's difficult to plug in and remove. I researched a solution and settled on DeoxIT DN5. It cleans and lubricates electrical switches, potentiometers, etc. I emailed the company and they recommended the DN5 over the D5 since it's non-flammable and would be safe to use on a live outlet. (It's not the D5 chemical that's a worry, but the aerosol in the can.)

I bought the DN5S-6N from Amazon and it worked really well. I sprayed it generously into the outlet, then took the NEMA 14-50 connector from the charger and vigorously plugged and unplugged it multiple times to work it in. This spray also cleans, so any corrosion from the outlet being outdoors should have been addressed, too.

• Informative
Reactions: woodguyatl
Basic idea behind the NEMA is you plugged in some major appliance and left it there. Often, for years. When I put in mine it was with the idea it was to be a dedicated Tesla charger. But, I can imagine there are units robust enough to allow repeated plugging and unplugging. (They often come with a handle). But in that case, I'd put in a cut-off switch.

You're right. Don't lubricate the outlet and let it wear out. That's a much better idea.

Best idea being to not try and use something that carries big amounts of energy in a way it wasn’t designed for. Search these forums and you’ll come up with all sorts of threads with pics of grisly looking melted down 14-50s.

What are you doing with your UMC that has you regularly unplugging it and taking it with you? In 3 years and 100k miles, I can count the number of times I’ve unplugged the thing on two hands.

I’m glad you found a solution that you think works well but I’m more interested in making sure other members realize that this use case is really not a good idea.

Best idea being to not try and use something that carries big amounts of energy in a way it wasn’t designed for. Search these forums and you’ll come up with all sorts of threads with pics of grisly looking melted down 14-50s.

What are you doing with your UMC that has you regularly unplugging it and taking it with you? In 3 years and 100k miles, I can count the number of times I’ve unplugged the thing on two hands.

I’m glad you found a solution that you think works well but I’m more interested in making sure other members realize that this use case is really not a good idea.

OP said the outlet is outdoors, so conceivably they don't want to leave the non-outdoor rated UMC outside.

Personally, I would just make a water-poof box around the outlet to store the UMC.

I'd say as long as you know what you are doing, and understand the pros & cons, just do it. Personally I think the 14-50 is potentially a hazard -- but guess what?, it's what I use. If you're going to be plugging and unplugging (mine is dedicated to my Tesla) then there seems to be a bit of conventional wisdom that the integrity of the wire connectors should be checked every six months to be sure nothing has loosened.

Mine is outside too. Again, for 3 years and 100,000 miles now.

Tesla makes no claims about weatherproofing on the Mobile Connector in its manual. In fact, it contains the following warning:

Tesla Mobile Connector manual said:
Warning: Protect the Mobile Connector from moisture, water and foreign objects at all times.

The Wall Connector, by contrast, carries a NEMA 3R rating, which means it's safe to expose it to rain and snow.

To be sure, you're not the only person who's used a Mobile Connector outdoors for extended periods without problems; but I've also seen reports of Mobile Connectors failing under those conditions. Unfortunately, I don't have hard data on how common failures are under these circumstances. Personally, I prefer to err on the side of caution about such things, especially when dealing with a device that carries 240v and up to 32A.

Tesla makes no claims about weatherproofing on the Mobile Connector in its manual. In fact, it contains the following warning:

The Wall Connector, by contrast, carries a NEMA 3R rating, which means it's safe to expose it to rain and snow.

To be sure, you're not the only person who's used a Mobile Connector outdoors for extended periods without problems; but I've also seen reports of Mobile Connectors failing under those conditions. Unfortunately, I don't have hard data on how common failures are under these circumstances. Personally, I prefer to err on the side of caution about such things, especially when dealing with a device that carries 240v and up to 32A.

I'm not sure if the Gen2 UMC is different in this respect, but again, the Gen1 unit I've used for three years is no worse for the wear. I have an outdoor RV-style NEMA 14-50 enclosure that keeps the receptacle and plug itself out of the elements. Everything else seems perfectly happy to charge away in the rain or snow. I see your point, but I'll maintain my original assertion that unplugging the UMC every day to keep it out of the elements is ultimately going to cause more problems than just leaving it be.

Reactions: outdoors