Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to save maps of Superchargers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am planning my first road trip along the east coast and have found it very difficult to figure out how to save a map with all my stopping points including superchargers.

So far I have been saving points on Google Maps (I am saving addresses with pin points but I do not know how to label them, like Home or Greenwich South Supercharger etc.).
I have to lookup the addresses of the Superchargers on the Tesla website and copy them into google.

With the manual copy and without labels, this seems to be very inefficient.

I have used http://supercharge.info/ but do not know how to save maps for trips.

Is there a better way?

I have just started a similar project and want to do the same thing. Been playing around with roadtrippers.com (there is also an ios and android app). Anyway, I have been able to create and save a few trips (and used superchargers as waypoints - can even search on something like tesla supercharger vacaville and it had the addy). Seems cool so far.

Keep us posted if you find something better!

Of course the first thing is that your Model S (assuming you have one) has the location of the superchargers already installed. On the nav page go to Places, and then Supercharger. Up will pop a list of them, from closest (as the crow flies) to the furthest.

I enjoy planning my trips almost as much as taking them. I use Microsoft's Streets and Trips. I have manually entered all the superchargers (in the west where I live) and saved that map. Whenever I take a trip, I open that map, choose my route, etc. and save it under a new descriptive name. Unfortunately, this cannot be added to the car's big screen.

If you are taking a trip away from the superchargers, try using Plugshare. Their website shows all kinds of chargers that will work with the Model S.

I am planning my first road trip along the east coast and have found it very difficult to figure out how to save a map with all my stopping points including superchargers.

So far I have been saving points on Google Maps (I am saving addresses with pin points but I do not know how to label them, like Home or Greenwich South Supercharger etc.).
I have to lookup the addresses of the Superchargers on the Tesla website and copy them into google.

With the manual copy and without labels, this seems to be very inefficient.

I have used http://supercharge.info/ but do not know how to save maps for trips.

Is there a better way?

Google Maps understands the syntax of "Tesla Supercharger X", where X is a place name. For example, put "Tesla Supercharger Silverthorne, CO" into the Google Maps query and it will take you to the Silverthorne Supercharger. Once you have a view that you like with routing, etc, you can click on the "Gear" icon in the lower right and choose the "save and embed map" choice to save the current view with all of its context. For example, here is a saved Google Map Link from Boulder to Richfield, UT Via superchargers: Boulder, CO to Tesla Supercharger, Richfield, UT - Google Maps

I also use MS Streets and Trips. It's great for adding waypoints and estimating segment lengths and times. I can also program on stops times at each waypoint for charging time, as start and end times, etc. then I can save each trip.

For longer trips I use a spreadsheet (based off of evtripplanner.com data) to figure out energy usage and estimate recharge times, and which legs I need to conserve charge and which legs I do not.

I like your idea of saving a file with all the supercharges --- I'm going to do that so I don't have to keep looking up the lat/long each time I want to add a SC to a new route.

Cerjor,
I cannot plan in my Model S because the planning takes time and should be done in the house, not spending time in the car.
I have been manually entering the superchargers into google maps but this takes way too much time, also with the rate of new superchargers coming out I would have to update way to often.
From the 5 replies already, it does sound like there is a good system in place yet.

Of course the first thing is that your Model S (assuming you have one) has the location of the superchargers already installed. On the nav page go to Places, and then Supercharger. Up will pop a list of them, from closest (as the crow flies) to the furthest.

I enjoy planning my trips almost as much as taking them. I use Microsoft's Streets and Trips. I have manually entered all the superchargers (in the west where I live) and saved that map. Whenever I take a trip, I open that map, choose my route, etc. and save it under a new descriptive name. Unfortunately, this cannot be added to the car's big screen.

If you are taking a trip away from the superchargers, try using Plugshare. Their website shows all kinds of chargers that will work with the Model S.

Cerjor,
I cannot plan in my Model S because the planning takes time and should be done in the house, not spending time in the car.
I have been manually entering the superchargers into google maps but this takes way too much time, also with the rate of new superchargers coming out I would have to update way to often.
From the 5 replies already, it does sound like there is a good system in place yet.

Plugshare shows superchargers on their map.

EV Trip Planner will route your trip through Superchargers and even help estimate how much range you'll need between stops.

Well, the button is there. I tried it and there was no difference between direct and use Superchargers. I had thought that it would go to the nearest Supercharger and then continue on, but it doesn't do that.

Well, the button is there. I tried it and there was no difference between direct and use Superchargers. I had thought that it would go to the nearest Supercharger and then continue on, but it doesn't do that.

Yeah, sometimes it can't automatically detect the superchargers along your route so you need to add them manually. To add a supercharger manually, click the Tesla shield on the map where the supercharger is and a window will pop up. Click the "Charge Here" button in the window and the supercharger is added as a stop on your route. You can add your own custom stops like hotels as well. Once your stops are added you can drag them with the mouse to change the order they appear along your route. If you create an account, routes can be saved for future use.

The best part is that the site calculates how much battery power you will use on each segment of the trip so you can see where you will need to charge.