Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to schedule charging so it finishes at departure time?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The UI needs work. You should be able to set departure time and off peak separately. The current software requires off peak be on to use departure time.

Right now, I must set off peak time to match departure time. Poor programming.

How it should work- off peak, if enabled, should charge to within 5% of set limit. Charging should finish at departure time to match set limit and have a warm battery.

The UI needs work. You should be able to set departure time and off peak separately. The current software requires off peak be on to use departure time.

How it should work- off peak, if enabled, should charge to within 5% of set limit. Charging should finish at departure time to match set limit and have a warm battery.
I totally agree! Tesla claims to be mostly a software company yet still hasn't make this feature easier to use.

As title implies I'm trying to figure out how to schedule charging so that it completes right about at departure time. Maybe this is unnecessary but my understanding is that for best performance it is best to have battery warm and charging right before leaving can help accomplish this. I have a single rate without off peak hours. It seems that if you disable the off peak charging then it charges right when you plug in and just preconditions before departure. If you set off peak hours charging then it finishes charging before off peak ends and then preconditions for departure. So if I enable off peak charging but set off peak end time at or after my departure time will I accomplish my goal of completing charging right around departure time?
OK...

If you want the car to finish charging when you depart, just set the Scheduled departure time. When you plug IT WILL CHARGE because it has to test how fast it can pull power from your connector. It should stop before it gets to your set charge level. Then start charging again when it needs to.

Thanks. From playing with it and reading other threads this is what I have done. Just wanted to confirm that this is the best approach and it actually works. For a system that overall is very well designed and intuitive the scheduled charging is a little wonky or at least the algorithm it uses not well explained.
The car prioritizes state of charge level vs. your "off-peak" time. If you set set your off peak start time to midnight and you have scheduled departure at 6am, it will begin charging whenever it wants to reach the 90% charge level you set by 6am (for example). Off peak be damned if it determines that it can't reach 90% in 6 hours (in this example).

5% might not be enough to warm the battery.

People make it sound so easy but now for the car to do exactly what you want (a warm battery), it has to calculate how much heat it puts in to the battery per hour, the temperature of the environment the car is in (it can/will change overnight), the battery temperature (changing also), the power coming out of the connector, your off-peak time, your off-peak end time, your scheduled departure time, the state of charge you want to leave with, etc.

If it's cold out, home charging might not even be enough to warm the battery, it might have to run motor to heat the battery, which slows down the charging, etc, etc.

5% might not be enough to warm the battery.

People make it sound so easy but now for the car to do exactly what you want (a warm battery), it has to calculate how much heat it puts in to the battery per hour, the temperature of the environment the car is in (it can/will change overnight), the battery temperature (changing also), the power coming out of the connector, your off-peak time, your off-peak end time, your scheduled departure time, the state of charge you want to leave with, etc.

If it's cold out, home charging might not even be enough to warm the battery, it might have to run motor to heat the battery, which slows down the charging, etc, etc.
I would like to think Tesla is smart enough to figure most of this out. When I set scheduled departure, I expect a battery at my desired limit that is warm and ready to go.