Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to Sell Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Carmax, Tesla, Carvana, et al will be great if you want it to go away and don't care what money you get. They'll low-ball you for the privilege of making it go away for you as if they're doing you a favor. In short, don't waste your time unless you're desperate.

Don't bother listing here unless you want to get beat up for asking anything less than the lowest price of all time anyone has ever seen for your particular car... and then like 10% less than that. Trolls seemingly reproduce rampantly in the marketplace subforums of TMC and the staff reaction is slow to say the least.

Best luck I've had is with Craigslist, Autotrader, Facebook, Nextdoor, Cars.com (in that order)

When I say Facebook I don't mean any Tesla fan groups. Don't link them to your posting either because it's basically the same toxic low-ballers you'll find in the marketplace here. Just a bunch of kids who once saw a scam post of a P100D for $25k and think they can finally afford one if they can convince someone else their $95k car is only worth $10k... cash! lol

Hi,
Anyone know the best way to sell a Model S? I've never done it before. Carmax? Tesla? It's 2016 70D w/FSD, only 36,000 miles. Any advice appreciated, I have no idea.

If this is a real question (and not a veiled "for sale? advertisement), the answer to the question is "the same way you have previously sold any other car you have sold".

Teslas are not some special vehicle that requires a ton of extra consideration. The same ways of selling any other car work. Private party, trade in to a dealership on another vehicle, selling to companies that specialize in used car sales, etc. The exact same way.

Carmax, Tesla, Carvana, et al will be great if you want it to go away and don't care what money you get. They'll low-ball you for the privilege of making it go away for you as if they're doing you a favor. In short, don't waste your time unless you're desperate.

Don't bother listing here unless you want to get beat up for asking anything less than the lowest price of all time anyone has ever seen for your particular car... and then like 10% less than that. Trolls seemingly reproduce rampantly in the marketplace subforums of TMC and the staff reaction is slow to say the least.

Best luck I've had is with Craigslist, Autotrader, Facebook, Nextdoor, Cars.com (in that order)

When I say Facebook I don't mean any Tesla fan groups. Don't link them to your posting either because it's basically the same toxic low-ballers you'll find in the marketplace here. Just a bunch of kids who once saw a scam post of a P100D for $25k and think they can finally afford one if they can convince someone else their $95k car is only worth $10k... cash! lol
So completely true and sad. Bunch of DEEKS roam the marketplace.

Anyone know the best way to sell a Model S? I've never done it before. Carmax? Tesla? It's 2016 70D w/FSD, only 36,000 miles. Any advice appreciated, I have no idea.
There's really no "best" way to sell a Model S. Going to CarMax, Carvana, Vroom, etc. will at least give you a sense of the bottom dollar figure and would be the easiest way. As far as listing it for sale, you have several options including the "free" sites like FB Marketplace, Craigslist, this forum (marketplace section), etc. Then they are the paid sites like Autotrader, CarGurus, onlyusedtesla.com, etc. You can also list it for sale on consignment through a dealership or broker which would be the most expensive route but may yield the highest price.

Any one of those options could lead to a satisfactory sale. It all depends on how much you are willing to spend, as well as how realistic you are on an asking/selling price.

Oddly enough, I've still had the best success with any car sale by using Craigslist. Especially when you post the ad around late Friday morning. Fresh ad Gets the attention of all of the weekend carbuying seekers
Agree with above. Sold my model 3 in 1 day after posting on Craigslist. Just make sure money transaction is done directly at the buyer’s bank. I had 0 response from this forum.

I sold mine through Carvana last year. Their offer was higher than Vroom and Tesla. I didn’t want to deal with people and test drives and all that other nonsense that comes with a private party sale. You enter your info, they come with a flatbed and cut you a check or do an ach transfer (your choice).

The last time I sold a car on Craigslist I ended up dealing with a weirdo that kept texting me after the sale. I’d say there was a 30% chance I was going to get murdered. He made me drive it to the local shop to verify maintenance then asked the guy if it was normal for the engine to be dirty. Never again.

I just cringe at everyone taking the "easy" way out and leaving literally tens of thousands of dollars on the table. I don't think my net worth will ever be such that this is a pill I can swallow.
You and me both.

Bought my wife’s 2011 Rx350 6 yrs ago off of Craigslist. Turned out to be wife of a local police chief. Paid $23k. Thousands Cheaper than carmax at the time, but the buyer got more than trade in. Win win.

sold it in December 2020 on CL to a military officer who was buying for his daughters first car. Nicest guy I’ve met in awhile. Sold it for $13,500. Much more than carmax/carvana was offering. (Sidenote: most reliable troublefree car I’ve ever owned)

In dec 2019 sold an AMG E55 Benz via cl. Enthusiasts pay higher than market for those (supercharged v8) so I got THOUSANDS more than vroom, carvana, etc. sold in a week to a buyer who flew in and was ecstatic to buy it. I sold it for $2k less than I paid for it 5 yrs ago. (Another Craigslist purchase)

The Tesla’s are the only cars I’ve purchased non-private in years. But they WILL be sold by me to a private buyer when the time comes. I live in a state where concealed carry is legal, so my transactions have less risk...

Reactions: Two-rocks
In addition to the OP's question, does anyone have a sense of private party pricing these days?

Just got a pretty low-ball offer back from Tesla/Vroom/Carvana on my 2017 90D (with FSD, MCU 2, Fully loaded (with ventilated leather seats), pretty low miles, transferrable unlimited supercharging and premium connectivity). They are all in the $42k range.

In fact, I got more for my 2012 85S back in 2017 from Vroom.

Just curious.

2017 75D FSD, Used Car Gurus and found a buyer without too much fuss, was still under warranty so made it a little easier. Serious buyers don't ask a lot of questions, they have researched the car and know what they want and what they will pay, if someone is asking a lot of questions, in my experience they are not serious, just kicking tires.

I live in a state where concealed carry is legal, so my transactions have less risk...

Don't understand this comment, are you the only one in the state that's allowed to conceal carry? If so you make a lot of sense, if not then don't you mean the risk is more?...?:eek:

2017 75D FSD, Used Car Gurus and found a buyer without too much fuss, was still under warranty so made it a little easier. Serious buyers don't ask a lot of questions, they have researched the car and know what they want and what they will pay, if someone is asking a lot of questions, in my experience they are not serious, just kicking tires.

Don't understand this comment, are you the only one in the state that's allowed to conceal carry? If so you make a lot of sense, if not then don't you mean the risk is more?...?:eek:

More risk towards an unsavory buyer? Yes, you are correct.

I have a 2017 MS P100D. Top,of the line. Bricked in my garage with a bad MCU1 which is under warranty. But of course Tesla says. Ahh. Well. Nothings wrong. Wonder who want to but it so I can just get out.
Why you you let a bad MCU1 make you want to just get rid of it? The bad MCU1 can be repaired free of charge by Tesla under warranty, OR you can pay $1500 and get it upgraded to MCU2 and then you'd have 95% of a top of the line current version of the Performance Model S!