Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to set the liftgate to fully open?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

beths11

THE LONG RANGER
Apr 30, 2013
Molalla, OR
I believe Tesla has recently changed the software causing my FWD and Liftgate to only open to a 3/4 position.
The FWD allows me to set an "open fully here" option, but there is no such option for the liftgate/trunk.

I tried the procedure outlined in the manual "put the door at the desired height. Press and hold the trunk button until the setting chime is heard. Test" I open the door fully, press and hold the button. The chime rings. I close the trunk and then it reopens 3/4 of the way.

It is crazy that I open the trunk and then have to push it fully open. What am I not understanding?

Page 12 of the owner's manual:

upload_2017-7-3_9-47-36.png

Try setting FWD to "fully open" at this location as iirc the liftgate uses FWD upward sensor to determine clearance
I do not want the FWD to fully open at this location. Only the trunk. Interesting idea though. And now that I have thought about it, there is a second location where I do have the FWD set to "fully open" and the trunk still only opens 3/4 of the way (just banged my head yesterday).

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: emchen
I remember reading that the trunk height is paired with the falcon wing door height. I think the instructions in the manual are from the Model S and nobody realized that the Model X was different when making the manual. I wish you could set the trunk height the way the manual says, although, I think Tesla is concerned about the trunk hitting an object when opening since there isn't a sensor in the trunk.

• Informative
Reactions: beths11
I had the exact same issue when I picked up my MX a few weeks ago. Finally I figured out that the reason was that the MX was detecting it was in a garage or trees were detected as obstacles, so it opened FWD and trunk to 3/4 height only. The manual adjustment of the trunk door to as described in the manual would not work.

I solved this by selecting the FWD to fully open in this location. It appears FWD and trunk height are linked together. Would be good to be able to set this separately but for me it's not that big of an issue.

thank you all for the replies @Alset72 , @animorph , @Nerdy_Engineer , and @outie . After a lengthy discussion with the service center concierge you are all correct. In an earlier update the trunk lift height has been paired with the FWD which now only go 3/4 open. This is ridiculous! I don't open the FWD under the carport, but I open the trunk 2x a day at least. I am so tired of banging my head or having to force the tailgate open. Tesla, please give me a separate control for the tailgate with a button that says "open the tailgate fully all the time in this location." The current set up of pairing the FWD with the tailgate does not work.

In the work parking garage, rules require backing into the parking spaces. Over the rear of the vehicle there is a low hanging pipe that would be hit if the rear trunk hatch fully opened. So we've memorized the opening height to be low enough to miss hitting that pipe.

The rear hatch height is supposed to be location dependent, allowing you to set those locations where the hatch can open fully.

We were never able to get that to work, without risking having the hatch open and hit the pipe in the work garage.

So we have it opening to a low height everywhere - and have to manually push it open all of the time.

Would be helpful if Tesla provided access to the stored locations - a list that you could display - and then edit - plus use that list to confirm how the vehicle reacts at those locations... This would be useful for the FWD, rear hatch and suspension settings, which should be location-dependent.

thank you all for the replies @Alset72 , @animorph , @Nerdy_Engineer , and @outie . After a lengthy discussion with the service center concierge you are all correct. In an earlier update the trunk lift height has been paired with the FWD which now only go 3/4 open. This is ridiculous! I don't open the FWD under the carport, but I open the trunk 2x a day at least. I am so tired of banging my head or having to force the tailgate open. Tesla, please give me a separate control for the tailgate with a button that says "open the tailgate fully all the time in this location." The current set up of pairing the FWD with the tailgate does not work.
I noticed the same thing starting several weeks ago. Not sure which software update number is related to the change (I’m currently on 2020.36.31). Since buying my X in 2017 I have parked it in my carport. I set the FWDs to open to their full height and the trunk to open all the way and it always did. Then one day recently I noticed the trunk wasn’t opening to full height. I manually pushed it up all the way, held down the button until I heard the long chime and released, then closed it. Then the next day it did the same thing, only opened part way.

I consider this a software bug and expect it to be fixed in a future release.

In the work parking garage, rules require backing into the parking spaces. Over the rear of the vehicle there is a low hanging pipe that would be hit if the rear trunk hatch fully opened. So we've memorized the opening height to be low enough to miss hitting that pipe.

The rear hatch height is supposed to be location dependent, allowing you to set those locations where the hatch can open fully.

We were never able to get that to work, without risking having the hatch open and hit the pipe in the work garage.

So we have it opening to a low height everywhere - and have to manually push it open all of the time.

Would be helpful if Tesla provided access to the stored locations - a list that you could display - and then edit - plus use that list to confirm how the vehicle reacts at those locations... This would be useful for the FWD, rear hatch and suspension settings, which should be location-dependent.

I do note that the button link for setting 'all to max height at this location' does say location. I sure hope @ecarfan is right about this being a bug that Tesla will fix - what's the best way to be reporting this kinds of bugs? Holding down the right steering button and say "Bug Report: trunk lid height setting doesn't work properly" - or something else?