Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to setup additional phones as keys.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We just took delivery of our Model 3 this last week and we love the car. I have one question that I wasn't able to find the answer for. I was able to set my phone up as the key without a problem, I am now trying to set up my wife's phone. When you setup a second phone do they login into the Tesla application with their own login credentials or with my same login?

Thank you.

We had the same question, thank you for clarifying!

Now the question is, we have two profiles set up in the car (linked with the "Easy Entry" profile). Logically, when either of us sits in the driver's seat, we just select our profile for seat and steering preferences?

Our car was delivered to our local SC and we haven't picked it up yet.

Would be great if we could associate the phone with the profile. My Audi had two unique Bluetooth key fobs so we just open the door and it all moves into place. Certainly addressable with software so maybe a fyture update.

If they do that, I hope it also as an off option. Phones are different than fobs.

I drive my 3 about 98% of the time. When my wife is travelling with me, she is always in the car before me as I open the door for her. Every time, the car will link to her phone as it is the first one in. I am glad I don't need to change the profile every time she is with me in the car.

Last edited:
We just took delivery of our Model 3 this last week and we love the car. I have one question that I wasn't able to find the answer for. I was able to set my phone up as the key without a problem, I am now trying to set up my wife's phone. When you setup a second phone do they login into the Tesla application with their own login credentials or with my same login?

Thank you.
If you like, you can each have your own Tesla login. You then need to contact Tesla to get the car linked to both logins. If you only have one car, it's probably easier to just use one account but if you have multiple cars and logins, then it's probably better to link them.

If you like, you can each have your own Tesla login. You then need to contact Tesla to get the car linked to both logins. If you only have one car, it's probably easier to just use one account but if you have multiple cars and logins, then it's probably better to link them.

Yep, did this with my Model 3. I created a separate Tesla account for my wife and had Tesla link her account to my Model 3.