Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor How To: Setup Siri to Control Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone,

Developer of Energi here..

I thought it would be cool to control my Tesla with Siri and didn't really find any other tutorial on how to really do it. I found Homebridge + teslms, put them together and made some code that is clean and easy to figure out. Here is a video tutorial on how to set everything up. If you have any questions, please feel free to reply in the comments. Can't wait to hear success stories!

Code for Tesla + Siri
GitHub - SamGabbay/tesla-siri-homekit

Video Tutorial on how to set it up.

You have to have a computer running Homebridge (what is set up in the viedo.) This way you'll be able to control the car from your smartphone as long as it is connected to your home wifi network.

If you want to be able to control your car from your smartphone outside of your wifi network, you need an Apple TV (if I recall correctly gen 1 and 2 are not compatible with HomeKit, so you need the latest one.)

Whatever happens, your car does not need to be on your home wifi. (It needs internet connectivity of course; but it can use Tesla's 3G.)

Funny, I hadn't realised there was no Homebridge plugin for Tesla yet. Thanks for sharing this with us !

Glad you guys like it! Has anyone had any trouble setting it up? If so, you can direct message me and I'll help you get it up and running. Alternatively, if you want to setup on a Raspberry PI, I can help you as well.

To get it running persistently, you will need a Raspberry PI and an Apple TV 3rd or 4th Gen.

Can't wait to hear some success stories!

Glad you guys like it! Has anyone had any trouble setting it up? If so, you can direct message me and I'll help you get it up and running. Alternatively, if you want to setup on a Raspberry PI, I can help you as well.

To get it running persistently, you will need a Raspberry PI and an Apple TV 3rd or 4th Gen.

You need a Rasp Pi AND an Apple TV or either one?

Nice work Sam. I’ve set this up, but I’m getting the "Error Honking Horn: undefined message. The config.json file has the correct username/password in it. I did restart the homebridge server, but it made no difference. In my case, I have both a Model S and a Model X, so maybe there is an issue with that. Is the config.json file reread on each invocation of the server or is it “compiled” in?

Also, it would be nice to send commands to one of the specific cars I have.

Wow! This is great! Thanks so much for this.

I installed it on my Mac and it's working great! I have the current gen Apple TV: is there anything special I need to do with it to have it work with this setup?

Any suggestions as to how to make this run on startup of the Mac, so I don't have to manually execute the debug command to start the Homebridge Tesla app?

Also, can you post the Rasp pi instructions? I'd love to migrate this to the Pi (and also have it automatically launch on Pi restart).

Thanks again for your work on this!

I thought it would be cool to control my Tesla with Siri and didn't really find any other tutorial on how to really do it. I found Homebridge + teslms, put them together and made some code that is clean and easy to figure out. Here is a video tutorial on how to set everything up. If you have any questions, please feel free to reply in the comments. Can't wait to hear success stories!

This is awesome and fits really nicely with the HomeKit setup I've already got. Have you tried it with the new Home app yet? I'm curious if I can get an at-a-glance status on the Tesla (charge level especially) from there, or if I could route it through one of the existing apps like Hesperus.