Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to ship Model 3 OEM Areo wheels and tires cheaply?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all. I am new to the Tesla community. Just took delivery of my pearl white model 3 on June 30th. I immediately bought aftermarket rims and tires. I posted my OEM wheels on eBay. However, I called the UPS and Fedex; both companies quoted me over $400 to ship these tires across the country and I have to buy 4 boxes. Each cardboard box will cost me $15.00 ($25 per box if Fedex packs for me). Has anyone sold their tires online and have experience shipping 4 tires and rims? I am hoping to pay no more than $200. I also posted on craigslist for local buyers but I haven't gotten replies except for scammers. So basically I need advice on shipping these wheels under $200. Thank You.

Once you figure out the best packaging method, try to ship them using ShipNex, I've used them for wheels and tires before, and they definitely come out cheaper than UPS or FedEx. Truth be told, I think ShipNex actually contracts with UPS and/or FedEx to do the actual shipping, they just get a cheaper rate by getting multiple bulk shipments.

• Informative
Reactions: Scott7
If you package and ship them yourself, you should be able to ship them for less than $60 each when doing a multi-package shipment. We've shipped a lot of wheel sets and I think the most we ever paid for shipping was $60 to go from Denver to Boston. That was for 21" Arachnids. 18" Aeros would weigh a lot less and even with packaging materials, you could do them for less than $60 each cross-country.

Shipnex tends to be the best price. Follow this:

I've shipped 3 sets of wheels/tires this year all following the above method. Cost has ranged from $170 - $215 for in state to across the country. Probably not worth it for the aero wheels, but that's up to you.

If you can find a box that fits, sometimes that can be cheaper than paying the "irregular shape" fees, especially if you can combine a pair of wheels/tires.

• Informative
Reactions: Scott7
Thank you for the info. I thought Fedex and UPS were my only two options.
Wheels and tires don't need to go in boxes.

Regardless, the weight and size will make it expensive to ship. You might try freightquote.com or uship or similar to see if you can get a better rate.

Actually wheels/rims are required to go into boxes. Tires don't need boxes. That's what I was told by Fedex.

What are you asking for them?

Shipping costs are less of an issue if the price is right.

Freight companies are an option but I wouldn’t expect to get amazing discounts over UPS/Fedex ground shipping.

Shipping charge is an issue because I am not willing to lower my price to makeup for the shipping charge. My tires only have 60 miles on them. Ebay and Paypal will charge me $180 in fees. And shipping will be even more. The price can be right for the customer; but the price needs to be right for me too. ;) Okay I am looking into freight companies. Thank you!

Don't put them in boxes. Cut out a piece of cardboard to cover the wheel front only and then use plastic wrap on each one. I have had wheels delivered from the west coast to east this way. Also, out in la la land you there should be plenty of folks willing to buy them locally.

la la land. LOL. So funny. I assume it's pun intended. Hopefully I find someone from LA LA Land soon.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-07-24 at 9.35.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-24 at 9.35.54 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 62
Once you figure out the best packaging method, try to ship them using ShipNex, I've used them for wheels and tires before, and they definitely come out cheaper than UPS or FedEx. Truth be told, I think ShipNex actually contracts with UPS and/or FedEx to do the actual shipping, they just get a cheaper rate by getting multiple bulk shipments.

Thanks for the info. Wow, their price is a lot lower. They didn't even ask me for the dimensions of the box with their online quote. Hmmm. Interesting. It quoted me $160, $300 lower than ups and fedex. wow

You’re in LA. No need to ship them at all. Post on Craigslist and they’ll be gone by Friday.

I posted them on craigslist but no one replied. Is my price reasonable? My wheels are brand new. The tires have 60 miles on them when removed from the car. They are 18" areo wheels. The areo covers are included but no TPMS. And I posted $1250.00. I think that my price is really low. They cost $2000 plus tax on tesla.com. I am not sure why I got no reply on craigslist. There are interested buyers on ebay from the East Coast. They have offered me $1500 and I had to decline the offer thinking that shipping would cost me $500 and Ebay paypal fees will cost me $200. Then I would only have $800 left. No deal.

Shipnex tends to be the best price. Follow this:

I've shipped 3 sets of wheels/tires this year all following the above method. Cost has ranged from $170 - $215 for in state to across the country. Probably not worth it for the aero wheels, but that's up to you.

If you can find a box that fits, sometimes that can be cheaper than paying the "irregular shape" fees, especially if you can combine a pair of wheels/tires.

I am nominating your reply as the BEST REPLY of this thread. Thank you for the helpful info.

Reactions: SD_Engnr
I posted them on craigslist but no one replied. Is my price reasonable? My wheels are brand new. The tires have 60 miles on them when removed from the car. They are 18" areo wheels. The areo covers are included but no TPMS. And I posted $1250.00. I think that my price is really low. They cost $2000 plus tax on tesla.com. I am not sure why I got no reply on craigslist. There are interested buyers on ebay from the East Coast. They have offered me $1500 and I had to decline the offer thinking that shipping would cost me $500 and Ebay paypal fees will cost me $200. Then I would only have $800 left. No deal.

I got $900 cash. I'll pick it up this weekend. Let me know.

Reactions: Leafdriver333