Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vehicle fraudulently transferred out of account without permission

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just end it and start another else you do disservice to the OP and original intent. To change it because it's continually morphing means you have to change most thread titles. I am assuming that's why you want to re-title.
Disservice to OP? They sold the car, so their intent is irrelevant at this point. They don’t even need to follow the thread if they don’t want to. There is still plenty to discuss and this information concerns everyone. You can unwatch if it’s a problem for you.

The title should be changed because it’s clickbait. Implying that it’s easy to transfer a vehicle without permission and that there is “no risk” is inaccurate. I’m not saying the story is false, but implying that it’s something that anyone can easily replicate? Not buying that. A better title would be something along the lines of: “Vehicle fraudulently transferred out of account without permission.”

“Vehicle fraudulently transferred out of account without permission.”

or possibly "Vehicle account fraudulently transferred, Tesla no help"
or "Vehicle account fraudulently transferred, Tesla complicit"

The current headline is a little click bait-ish, so if the moderator wants to change it, so be it. I would leave this thread open, as there are still some unanswered questions. I am a little curious if the seller disclosed the "stolen account' situation to the buyer, but more importantly, how did the new buyer rectify the issue?

This is the type of thread that Tesla could do us all a big service and respond either specifically or generically to this issue.

Reactions: cgell
A very interesting but sad story. Here are a few suggestions.
1. Why would anyone do this? Perhaps to title and ultimately steal the car.
2. Or to take out a title loan or other type loan with the title as security.
3. So I suggest you notify your loan company that their lien may be compromised.
4. I suggest you notify and make claim with your auto and homeowners insurance. While this may seem silly this is a threat to them and may cause a future payment. They may have better luck with Tesla than you.
5. Start a small claims action to force Tesla to declare you the rightful owner. You can do this yourself if your small claims court will allow this type of action.

Reactions: Jane4
Whoa party people... slow it down here. Are you saying that with a VIN and some fake docs, Tesla will move a vehicle to anyone's account?

Wouldn't the Bill of Sale include the seller's information?

This seems to lack even cursory fraud protection. I'm having a hard time believing that the process Tesla came up with let's the gaining party take a vehicle without the losing party's permission.

At this point, what's left for the thief to do? Just order some key cards and come pickup their car?
Not sure if Tesla has changed their procedures. But when I bought my used S 28 months ago, all I had to do was submit either the title or a bill of sale to transfer

…5. Start a small claims action to force Tesla to declare you the rightful owner. You can do this yourself if your small claims court will allow this type of action.
Pretty sure you can’t do that in small claims court, although you might be able to win a judgement up to the limits of small claims. Maybe simply filing would get Tesla’s attention but it seems like Tesla doesn’t show up for small claims. Other manufacturers have a network of contracted attorneys to represent them in each state.

This was some story.. I just bought a MSP about 4 weeks ago, there was many options to transfer ownership. However like many have said, to complete the ownership I needed PHYSICAL ACCESS to the interior of the vehicle. After submitting my license, temp registration and insurance, I had to go inside of the vehicle and change the name of the car to 3 letters. Once that was done it allowed me to proceed with my transfer. They completed the entire process in under 10 minutes which was mind blowing for me as everyone here said it would be weeks lol

I once had a total stranger's Model 3 show up in my Tesla App. Showed the car, the car's custom name, etc... I never touched any of the in-app controls or anything but I wonder, if someone wanted to, could they have initiated the ownership transfer, viewed the location and actually driven off with the car. It was there for about an hour and then disappeared.

• Informative
Reactions: THEbuz and cwerdna
tl;dr:

Sorry, I didn't read the ten pages of responses, but as a retired LEO I do know most jurisdictions have a "White Collar Crime" detail or unit that relishes (well maybe not Relishes, but it's among their specifically assigned duties) handling this type of offense. And although typical case assignment for something like this would originate from a base level officer's report, maybe you could make a call directly to their white collar section (usually part of their CID or Crminal Investigation Division with plainclothes detectives) and see how to proceed in your specific locale.
Best of luck!

I once had a total stranger's Model 3 show up in my Tesla App. Showed the car, the car's custom name, etc... I never touched any of the in-app controls or anything but I wonder, if someone wanted to, could they have initiated the ownership transfer, viewed the location and actually driven off with the car. It was there for about an hour and then disappeared.

Yeah, I was thinking this whole ordeal was probably caused by a sloppy manual procedure from Tesla... some employee fat-fingered a VIN and transfered the wrong vehicle. In your case they caught it quickly, in the OPs case maybe they already "closed" that account and couldn't find it to fix it.