Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vehicle fraudulently transferred out of account without permission

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If it's B, then how did the fake "purchaser" complete step#6 without having possession of the OP's car?

How new is this process? I bought my MS two years ago from a dealer. Car was still using previous owner's account. I just emailed Tesla the registration papers and they transferred it to me. No "step 6".

This is in Europe, though. Might be different in the US. I think in most of Europe all car ownership data is public, anyone can just type the license plate number to a website and get current owner's name.. So it's very easy for Tesla to validate the owner.

• Informative
Reactions: Takumi and Droschke
I have free Supercharging. It's a good thought, but doesn't work on that car.

Just to clarify if anyone is confused, the car itself hasn't been stolen. The only thing that's happened is that it's been transferred off my Tesla account, so the police don't really give a crap as no actual crime was committed that they care to investigate and it's a "civil matter" with Tesla, and I can't blame them, since it's Tesla just stuffing their heads up their asses on this. But this COULD lead to a stolen car situation very easily, so it's ridiculous they won't act.

The egregious part of this is that I have presented valid ownership documents and Tesla refuses to accept them. That's the part I just don't get. Also, they won't tell me who the person it was transferred to is. If I sold the vehicle, wouldn't I know who it was? So why would that information be sensitive? The local SC says there's nothing they can do and I need to talk to Corporate as they don't have access to that part of the system.
Supercharge the car and then let it sit and get charged idle time of the $1 and hour. See who gets billed...

On the flipside I was always frustrated by the difficulty and time it took to transfer accounts and title between willing and authorized\legal buyers and sellers.

This is a wild story, and as usual there is someone who could easily and quickly rectify this problem. The difficulty is figuring out who this person is and getting their attention.

Perhaps you can offer a service center manager a cash bonus if he can direct you to someone with the authority and ability to transfer the account back to you?

Perhaps you can offer a service center manager a cash bonus if he can direct you to someone with the authority and ability to transfer the account back to you?
While I understand what you're trying to do with the incentive, it does seem insane that someone would have to shell out extra money in order to get what would be considered a bare minimum of customer service.

Sounds like either Tesla has loophole with Step 6 (renaming a car) or maybe someone gained access to the account n did the ownership transfer/entered new owner email, the feature that Tesla implemented recently. Not sure if any documents are needed in latter case...
Weird they referenced BoS so maybe they just going off the dates on documents... but i heard that they won't transfer by BoS only unless ur a dealer...

While I understand what you're trying to do with the incentive, it does seem insane that someone would have to shell out extra money in order to get what would be considered a bare minimum of customer service.

It is ridiculous or insane that Tesla is not offering this type of minimum customer service. That goes without saying.

At this point, since nothing else is working, there is nothing to lose by offering the incentive. Even if the manager does not know where to go they are capable of figuring it out and may, if the incentive is high enough. If successful it may be worth something to the OP and the manager probably would not really expect payment anyway. Just offering an incentive may help convey the importance of a resolution.

Sounds like either Tesla has loophole with Step 6 (renaming a car) or maybe someone gained access to the account n did the ownership transfer/entered new owner email, the feature that Tesla implemented recently. Not sure if any documents are needed in latter case...
Weird they referenced BoS so maybe they just going off the dates on documents... but i heard that they won't transfer by BoS only unless ur a dealer...

I think the most likely answer is that someone at Tesla processed the fraudulent change-of-ownership without following the process. However, everyone else has no way of knowing if the change was done correctly, so all they see is a database record that "must be right, the computer said so".

I had to rename the car to a (I think) 5 char code.
I wonder where this is generated, maybe someone has worked out this code generation, hopefully its not the app that generates it.
As for doc checks, they didn't do a great check as I still have free SC on a salvage car.

Reactions: Dannietjoh
I have free Supercharging. It's a good thought, but doesn't work on that car.

Just to clarify if anyone is confused, the car itself hasn't been stolen. The only thing that's happened is that it's been transferred off my Tesla account, so the police don't really give a crap as no actual crime was committed that they care to investigate and it's a "civil matter" with Tesla, and I can't blame them, since it's Tesla just stuffing their heads up their asses on this. But this COULD lead to a stolen car situation very easily, so it's ridiculous they won't act.

The egregious part of this is that I have presented valid ownership documents and Tesla refuses to accept them. That's the part I just don't get. Also, they won't tell me who the person it was transferred to is. If I sold the vehicle, wouldn't I know who it was? So why would that information be sensitive? The local SC says there's nothing they can do and I need to talk to Corporate as they don't have access to that part of the system.
Just thinking loud here. Is there anyone within the family that could be causing all this? Innocent question.

I would definitely be taking to a good lawyer to get this resolved and look to claim damages. It shouldn't be on you to jump through these hoops and you have already raised it with Tesla. I hope you're able to get this resolved, it's a really shitty situation.

Good thing is someone can't steal the car without a valid cc key. Phone only works as key to drive after paired just having the app w the car will get you remote start ams 2 min driving time that's it. Also for supercharge and see who gets bulled not aire OP will see that in car as won't have car on there online acct or app. Shitty and def make more noise use local news etc only way to get done. In meantime ask for another reprint of title from dmv or whoever in your state as backup.

Good thing is someone can't steal the car without a valid cc key. Phone only works as key to drive after paired just having the app w the car will get you remote start ams 2 min driving time that's it. Also for supercharge and see who gets bulled not aire OP will see that in car as won't have car on there online acct or app. Shitty and def make more noise use local news etc only way to get done. In meantime ask for another reprint of title from dmv or whoever in your state as backup.
Remote start gives you 2 min to start driving. There is no limit on the duration of the drive.

The fact that Tesla won't accept my documents that are less than two weeks old is just blowing my mind

I don't know why you keep harping that point. Tesla has already told you that the "other" bill of sale is more recent than the documents you submitted.

I read your story this way: Tesla has documents from two different people, and cannot tell which is the fraudulent ones. I would be asking Tesla to 1, open a criminal investigation; and 2, take steps to prevent a different person from taking physical possession of the car.

Reactions: Synthax