Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to stop door handles from getting so hot?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a new Model 3 owner. Love the car.
On a sunny day the door handles sure get hot!
If I apply some carbon fiber vinyl wrap on them will that help keep them from burning my hands?
Don't need carbon fiber, that just seems to be the popular / available door handle wrap.

How hot does it get in northern California this time of year? I'm in Canada but I swear it must have been in the 90s Fahrenheit here this summer and I never noticed hot door handles. And I'm pretty sensitive. Have to wait for dishes to cool before I take them out of the dishwasher...

Edit: sorry for my disbelief. I'm sure it's a real problem. But literally half the posts in Canadian forums are about frozen handles, frozen windows, frozen doors, frozen charge port, frozen wipers and how these cars are designed for California. It's just funny to hear about a California problem. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: APotatoGod
Any sort of wrap will help make it feel cooler. Metal transmits heat very well. Vinyl, carbon fiber, etc transmit it a bit more slowly.

put a block of wood and a block of metal in the oven at 175 degrees and then touch both (ok - don’t really try this)...

Reactions: APotatoGod
How hot does it get in northern California this time of year? I'm in Canada but I swear it must have been in the 90s Fahrenheit here this summer and I never noticed hot door handles. And I'm pretty sensitive. Have to wait for dishes to cool before I take them out of the dishwasher...

Edit: sorry for my disbelief. I'm sure it's a real problem. But literally half the posts in Canadian forums are about frozen handles, frozen windows, frozen doors, frozen charge port, frozen wipers and how these cars are designed for California. It's just funny to hear about a California problem. ;)
It's a real problem in Texas, but only on hot days and on the side of the car in the sun. It'll burn ya.

s-l640.jpg

Any sort of wrap will help make it feel cooler. Metal transmits heat very well. Vinyl, carbon fiber, etc transmit it a bit more slowly.

put a block of wood and a block of metal in the oven at 175 degrees and then touch both (ok - don’t really try this)...

except the door handles are not metal. They are plastic with a chrome wrap.