Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to stop door handles from getting so hot?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A dark colored wrap will only make them hotter.

Indeed, but if the wrap conducts heat poorly, it won't matter because we can't feel or get burned by temperature alone. We feel heat transfer. Something could be 1000 degrees (any unit) and if it is a good enough insulator it will feel neutral temperature, or just slightly warm.

Reactions: jsmay311
Yes the vinyl wrap helps with the heat. I don’t have them but the full coverage ones that wrap the inside too I imagine would improve it even more.
I’m thinking of trying them as my kids still complain about the temp with the outside wrap.

I used some of the Carbon Fiber covers that were sold on Amazon, never had a problem with heat and I also live in Norcal.

They had a poor UV resistant resin though, so look pretty bad after just 1 year. I just ordered new ones from RPM that are covered in PPF and with better UV resistant resin so they should last a bit better.

A dark colored wrap will only make them hotter.

In the sun, a metallic surface will get hottest, then a black surface, then a white surface. So, a dark colored wrap should be cooler than a metallic.

It’s because, even though the black surface will absorb more energy than a metallic surface, it’ll reject a whole heck of a lot more energy, so overall it doesn’t get as hot. It’s a matter of the ratio of the absorptivity of the surface over the emissivity of a surface. For a black surface, it’s about 1:1, for a metallic it’s more like 2:1 or 3:1.

• Helpful
Reactions: vickh
What proof do you have of that? As a physics and chemistry teacher, your theory doesn't pass several tests.

I thought about pointing this out too, but I didn't say anything. They feel far too stiff and dense to be plastic, as well as the heat transfer issue that the thread is about.

Here you guys go. It’s slightly more complicated than a chrome wrap, but it is clearly plastic.

Someone ripped off my driver door handle and then left it sitting on top of my trunk. : teslamotors

• Informative
Reactions: jsmay311
Edit: sorry for my disbelief. I'm sure it's a real problem. But literally half the posts in Canadian forums are about frozen handles, frozen windows, frozen doors, frozen charge port, frozen wipers and how these cars are designed for California. It's just funny to hear about a California problem. ;)

I’ve been trying to respond, but my iPad was frozen.

• Funny
Reactions: brucet999