TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

How to stop the car from heating the cabin?

Discussion in 'Model 3: User Interface' started by ratsbew, Jul 26, 2018.

1. ratsbew

ratsbew Member

I'm still new to my Model 3. Sometimes I notice that the car is heating (red user interface for the HVAC) when I really just want low AC. If I set the temp to 74 and it's already 73 then it seems to want to turn on the heater to change that 1 degree.

There should really be a software toggle for "Do not run cabin heater" especially since the heater is a huge energy hog that could kill range if you're not careful.

2. flashflooder

flashflooder Member

Totally agree with this.

3. dhanson865

dhanson865 Active Member

#3 dhanson865, Jul 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
    The 2011/2012 Nissan leaf doesn't have a heater off switch and does something similar.

My workaround is to leave the temp set to 60F year round and turn the fan up or down as needed for comfort (as well as adjusting vent positions).

Tesla needs a disable heat setting in the options so you can just turn it off in the summer months.

Nissan's solution in the 2013 or newer leaf was to have a physical button for disabling the heater (push button on/off with LED to show status). Tesla is obviously not going to add a button to the dash so a software setting is the only logical choice remaining.

• Disagree x 1
  4. goodjon24

goodjon24 Member

I haven't driven a Model 3, but is there not a manual mode like there is in other cars with Automatic Climate Control?

5. BerTX

BerTX Supporting Member

Model S is the same -- I usually just turn the system off until the temperature in the cabin bothers me, then turn it back on with the higher temperature setting. Agree a "heater off" setting would be great. Not sure where it would rank on my extensive list of things Tesla COULD do, but don't.

6. TLej

TLej Little-Known Member

I don't have a 3, but the pictures I found online show there's an "auto" button like my S has. I always leave it off the "auto setting", my theory being if I set it to it's lowest point and it's not on "auto", it's just going to continue blowing cold air. It's never managed to actually hit the lowest setting that I am aware of, thus no heater in the summer. I use the same theory in the winter months, just reversed. Seems to work.

7. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

That was a HUGE discussion topic when the Model S first came out. Tesla makes it work the same way it does in an ICE, but in an ICE, heat is just waste whereas in an EV you use battery energy to generate it. so YES, there should be an over-ride setting for the cabin heater.

For those who just want just ambient air circulating, you have to manually switch off A/C then set the temperature to LO. Air will circulate but no energy is expended heating or cooling.

8. Atoms

Atoms Member

AGREE. I’ve seen it do this with 117F temperatures here in Phoenix! WTF I don’t need heating. I don’t need the heated seats to turn on. WTF. I don’t even need those icons ever. Just in the way.
    I also hate it when sometimes it won’t turn on the AC when I get into the car, but if I touch the fan icon the Ac turns on. The AC was in auto all all along so there is no reason the AC was off. Really bad in 117F heat!

Definitely a lot of wonky coding in this car associated with what should all be coded by a state machine descriptor rather than C code. All the logic is being lost in the code.

9. FoghornLeghorn

seems like a pretty simple s/w change that IF the interior temp is > than the set valu, AND the exterior air is warmer than interior, THEN just allow more outside air into the airfow w/out turning on the heater.

10. Runt8

Runt8 Active Member

You should fix it then. I’m assuming you’re a Tesla programmer, right?

11. ratsbew

ratsbew Member

Exactly my thoughts.

12. dhanson865

dhanson865 Active Member

And if a user has recirculation set, how much outside air is acceptable against that users wishes? What do you do if x% outside air doesn't even the temp?