Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to stop these things from happening?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
one would think that the new idling charges would curtail people leaving their cars at the chargers too long.
Maybe it would if Tesla actually implemented it. We still haven't heard of anyone having to pay an idle charge. New owners have credit cards on file for supercharging. It's time Tesla required it for pre-2017 cars so the idle charges could get charged automatically.

Maybe it would if Tesla actually implemented it. We still haven't heard of anyone having to pay an idle charge. New owners have credit cards on file for supercharging. It's time Tesla required it for pre-2017 cars so the idle charges could get charged automatically.
I wasn't aware that these charges are not being made, the last couple of time I used a SpC I got a message on the app that my charge was nearing completion and that idling charges would begin at X o'clock.

A 40, yep four zero, min wait getting into a stall yesterday with 11 cars backed up behind me, an openly frustrated security guard, and barely an owner in sight despite 12 stalls at Qualcomm/San Diego. 2ish PM. I grabbed 15 min of juice to make it north, and only one car behind me got a stall during that time. Seriously bad behavior going on.

one would think that the new idling charges would curtail people leaving their cars at the chargers too long.

There's a chance that the idle charges makes people think that it's now okay to park beyond the charging needs since they are paying for the privilege.

There's a chance that the idle charges makes people think that it's now okay to park beyond the charging needs since they are paying for the privilege.
Only a real jerk would think that way, but then again if everyone was polite enough to move their car when it was done we wouldn't have needed idle charges. If what you say is true then the idle fees aren't high enough. Perhaps they need to escalate after a certain amount of time.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
sometimes they're required to do that because of minimum parking requirements in zoning rules and dedicated spaces don't count.

+1

As others have pointed out in other threads, most private property owners -- motels, restaurants, etc -- are subject to zoning regulations that require a certain number of parking spaces. So they are not able to just take away spaces required by zoning and repurpose them.

Although I would of course like it if all spots were dedicated to Tesla's I'm not really sure why following the rules as written on the sign is a dick move.
Basic consideration for others. If there are other places to park then why block an EV charging space? If confronted about it some people might act dumb and ignorant but in reality they are at least somewhat aware of what they're doing.

I've actually seen ICE vehicles park in these shared spots even though they were farther away from the closest business and there were empty spots closer to the business (such as at the Starbucks in Silverthorne). So sometimes they do it intentionally. :(

When I stop at a Supercharger location with signage allowing parking in some bays, I try to use those dual-purpose parking/charging Superchargers first. That way if another Tesla shows up, they have a better chance of getting a non-ICEd Supercharger.

Reactions: TexasEV
When I stop at a Supercharger location with signage allowing parking in some bays, I try to use those dual-purpose parking/charging Superchargers first. That way if another Tesla shows up, they have a better chance of getting a non-ICEd Supercharger.
That's a good idea, and worth repeating as no one here has mentioned that in a few years. When those signs first went up there was a lot of discussion about this approach. A few people had the opposite opinion, but I'm with you-- park at the general parking stalls first and leave the Tesla parking only stalls for last (unless needed as an unpaired stall) in the hope an ICE driver will obey the sign and park elsewhere.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker