Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to sue Tesla over historical claims

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess I don't understand how this wasn't outside statute of limitations. If your claim was basically under the lemon law, then it is hard to believe you were within the 24 months/24,000 miles limit since delivery for that to apply. I guess it may vary state to state?
Who said anything about lemon law? Was that even claimed in the court filings?

If your claim was basically under the lemon law, then it is hard to believe you were within the 24 months/24,000 miles limit since delivery for that to apply. I guess it may vary state to state?

This was not a lemon law claim. It was a simple warranty claim.
Tesla had two cases where they said the car was capable of something.
When I tried to use those features, they said the car needed a hardware upgrade to do so, and that would be at my cost, not covered by warranty.
Lemon law is when they *can't* solve the issue.
This is where they knew exactly how to solve it, it would just cost me money.

GREAT that the media has picked up on this. I BET Tesla now wishes they would have reached out to OP when he filed, settled with him, and required NDA as part of his settlement.

Too late now. Cats out of the bag. 🤣🤣

Hey @Krash don’t you think this should be a sticky since it is good, sound, verified reference material?
Were you involved in a suit? I think you've implied that you were. If so, can you give us details of the suit without mentioning your name/location. No one has your name/location from these forums, so you could give us details while referring to yourself as "John Doe" and the court location as "Anywhere, USA".

Would argue you have claims beyond the non-refundable $250. When you place the order, they are clear In communications after that you “purchased the car” on that date. If they knowingly deliver a different feature set (especially a less capable car) they need to do so on new orders placed from that announcement date.
One could argue lost opportunity to purchase another EV, higher loan costs by starting the purchase process over 6 months later, etc.

It’s also notable this isn’t a one-off situation aka misinformed employee etc. it’s systematic and policy. For example, I test drove a model Y in Dec. It had USS. At no point was it disclosed that this wasn’t in the car I ordered this summer. I tried autopilot, again at no point was I told it wouldn’t be the same on the car I purchase.

Btw. I never was given a “disclaimer” to sign saying I’m okay with non USS/radar despite edd in a week.

These actions seem far more egregious to the non-legal educated folks than the more subtle things companies are held to these days.

This was not a lemon law claim. It was a simple warranty claim.
Tesla had two cases where they said the car was capable of something.
When I tried to use those features, they said the car needed a hardware upgrade to do so, and that would be at my cost, not covered by warranty.
Lemon law is when they *can't* solve the issue.
This is where they knew exactly how to solve it, it would just cost me money.
I would have sworn I saw "lemon law" in your posts at some point. I guess I just read lemon law into it when I saw an individual claim against an automobile manufacturer. My bad.

I thought I saw him mention Lemon Law somewhere too....
In my case, it was written because it was in my chat with service in the app.
If I didn't have that, I would have just waited 30 days though. I figure I'd argue to the judge that lemon laws in my state require a problem to be fixed in 30 days, and it had already been 6 months since the problem started and 30 days since I requested a repair.

I did. I explained that I would use some logic from my state's lemon laws IF I had not had some things in writing. But I had them in writing, so I didn't go that way.

Nothing about this claim had anything to do with lemon law though.

I had actually already bought MCU2 out of pocket long ago- the car was a complete mess to use without it, and it absolutely did fix that. So this was recovering that purchase.
You had mentioned you felt this should have been covered under warranty? Did you have an extended service agreement? Reports are surfacing that Tesla is rejecting mcu2 coverage in the esa. To me that just isn’t right as Tesla was paid nearly $5,000 for most esa.

You had mentioned you felt this should have been covered under warranty? Did you have an extended service agreement? Reports are surfacing that Tesla is rejecting mcu2 coverage in the esa.
I was still under the original 4 year warranty.
Given Tesla (wrongly) didn't consider this a base warranty item, it's unsurprising that they don't consider it an ESA item either.

I don't have an ESA, so I don't know the language in there. Read it, and if it covers safety items, and your MCU1 is performing poorly, rebooting, or not being responsive, then ask for a fix. If they can't fix MCU1, and they propose MCU2, then you have a pretty obvious claim here. Remember, even the NHTSA considers the MCU to be a safety item as it is the user interface for defrost and heat, the backup camera, and source of turn signal noises. Hence the MCU1 flash chip recall.

I sued Tesla in small claims and won. Twice! You can too. I had two claims:
  1. I have a car with AP2.5. Tesla advertised this car as having “all hardware needed for full self driving capability.” When I went to subscribe to “Full Self Driving Capability,” Tesla required a $1,000 hardware upgrade to subscribe to this, while calling the upgrade hardware the “Full Self Driving Computer.” Clearly the car does not have all hardware needed, despite the advertisement at time of sale.
  2. I have a car with MCU1. As commonly reported, software updates have hindered the functionality, such as breaking voice recognition and causing lockups. Tesla acknowledged that the issues were known software bugs with no resolution date. Tesla’s solution was a $2000 hardware upgrade, even though the car was under warranty, and the car would no longer do what is listed in the owners manual. A NHTSA recall prevented rollback to previous software versions.
    1. Even if MCU1 worked fine, it doesn’t support FSD, so claim #1 would have applied here.
I read my purchase agreement, which states that an owner can use arbitration or small claims for any disputes. It requests that you email [email protected] for any legal issues. I wrote this address 3 times over many weeks, with no response.

Without a response, I filed a small claims case. I properly served Tesla’s registered agent in my state, and then appeared in court (via zoom!) on the appointed date. Tesla made no arguments to defend against my claims, as they did not appear for the hearings.

The Judge reviewed my situation based on the evidence I provided, which included Tesla’s own claims on their website, owners manuals, service estimates, and their descriptions of the Infotainment and Full Self Driving computer upgrades. The Judge agreed that the first claim was false advertising and the second was a breech of warranty, finding for me in full ($3000+tax).

To Tesla’s credit, when I sent the judgment to their resolutions email address, they did pay the amount in full within a few weeks.

You can do this too if you feel Tesla’s policies are unfair. In almost every jurisdiction in the USA you can use small claims for disagreements such as this. The process is easy, and only takes a few hours of your time overall. Lots of places allow you to file online and attend court via Zoom. Most states don’t allow lawyers in small claims, so Tesla won’t have a lawyer on the other side if someone does bother to show up, just a local rep.

You can do this even if you didn’t opt out of Tesla’s arbitration agreement, as the Purchase Agreement specifically allows Small Claims as a method of resolution in all cases. You also have the option of using arbitration, which costs nothing and Tesla pays all fees. Worst case is you don’t win.

DM me if you want any help.

Note: I don’t hate Tesla. I think their cars and mission are great. I just believe they should be held to promises made as part of the sales process or warranty, and the more people that hold them too it, the better they will get in the future,
Hello gearchruncher,

I'm having issues with my MCU1 on my Model S which is still under warranty. Like you, their solution is for me to pay them about $2000 to upgrade the hardware. I'd appreciate any help you could offer in navigating the process that you outlined above. I am unable to PM you since I'm a new user. Can you PM me?

I'm having issues with my MCU1 on my Model S which is still under warranty. Like you, their solution is for me to pay them about $2000 to upgrade the hardware. I'd appreciate any help you could offer in navigating the process that you outlined above. I am unable to PM you since I'm a new user. Can you PM me?
Why PM/DM? The more people that see the process the better. It's not secret. I pretty much posted my experience here, but happy to help more. Ask away!

Hello gearchruncher,

How is this still under warranty? Did you buy Tesla cpo or buy from private party that has extended service agreement?

Reactions: dbldwn02
What would be the value add of the legal assistance (as it relates to legal actions against Tesla for fraudulent FSD claims/false advertising) being offered by this law firm?

Reactions: MP3Mike
What would be the value add of the legal assistance (as it relates to legal actions against Tesla for fraudulent FSD claims/false advertising) being offered by this law firm?
The law firm makes money.

If your goal as a society is to get a bad actor to stop doing something, class actions make a lot of sense. They allow a few people to sue on behalf of many, and apply the damages from that whole group to the bad actor. They also allow the huge group to efficiently use one lawsuit instead of individual claims. For example, in cases where any individual lawsuit makes no financial sense, but 1,000,000 lawsuits might represent $1B, they are a huge deterrent.

How many people here have actually bothered to go after Tesla on their own? Maybe 3? So the average person is suing Tesla for $0. A class action may only recover $500 per person, but that's $500 more than without the action, and it was done with zero effort by the average member of the class.

I mean, you can always exclude yourself from the action and sue yourself, right? You do that a lot?

You can joke about lawyer's fees all the time, but there's a reason Tesla and every other company forces you into arbitration and blocks class actions. They're super effective at holding companies accountable for bad actions, and companies HATE that.

When you do hear about lawyer's fees in class actions, look them up as a ratio of the members sometime. Often they got paid just a few dollars per class member. You can't even say hello to a lawyer for that amount. It's just that they can have millions of members.

I fully get the benefits of class actions. Not arguing that at ALL.

But appears the first law firm I posted is looking for clients as part of a class action. Was wondering the benefit of "signing up" with them? In other random class actions, I've simply...been included automatically