Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to take off the Aero Covers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really think we'll see tons of aftermarket options for covers in 2018!
Really? You think there will be strong demand for different ugly hubcaps to cover up the perfectly alright wheel revealed after taking off the factory ugly hubcaps? o_O

I think people will either stick with the factory covers because
1) they like them (ie, they have no sense of taste) ;)
2) they want the efficiency gains.

or they will rip them off and run either the standard wheel (if they like those), or replace them with aftermarket wheels if they don't.

I really don't think many would want to fit alternative hubcaps over the factory wheels.

I'm a little surprised at how easily they come off. I'm sure it's fine, but it sure seems like it could come off eventually if you hit a bump at speed or something. And I'm assuming it's a good idea to clean the rim underneath before reattaching in case dirt that's accumulated on the cover (or rim) scratches the rim when those clips go on?

Very nice to have confirmation. Thank you. 100% getting the 18" option now.

I'm sure you can put a couple of large zip ties to keep them if you want to.. you'll fit right in with the older rental/loaner cars round here :)
If I did that I would fit with almost all cars that have wheel covers around here, except the rentals or school cars, no one cares if the rentals or school cars caps will be stolen or if they will be lost because they hit something.

But in all seriousness, is there any easy solution to secure them that does not involve zip tying over the cap?

If I did that I would fit with almost all cars that have wheel covers around here, except the rentals or school cars, no one cares if the rentals or school cars caps will be stolen or if they will be lost because they hit something.

But in all seriousness, is there any easy solution to secure them that does not involve zip tying over the cap?

We've got two Prius (Prii?) and they have wheel covers that attach in the same way. Over a combined 18 years, we lost one wheel cover out of 8, and I suspect that that was due to a bungled parallel parking job, or to vandalism rather than it just falling off.

Not too worried.

We've got two Prius (Prii?) and they have wheel covers that attach in the same way. Over a combined 18 years, we lost one wheel cover out of 8, and I suspect that that was due to a bungled parallel parking job, or to vandalism rather than it just falling off.

Not too worried.
I get that it will not be a problem in most places. But there are places where everything can be stolen from time to time, sometimes it's the wheel caps, others the radio antennas, other times it's the wheel nut lugs, tire valve caps, you name it. I was just interested in a solution to safely secure the caps so they won't be stolen.

My primary idea would be to keep them in the frunk/trunk and only use them for longer trips.

Remember how we used to see hubcaps littering the shoulders of roads and intersections back in the day?

Maybe what's old will become new again?

I live only a few miles away from the famous "hubcap ranch" in Pope Valley, California. I have visions of these hanging from fenceposts on country roads near sharp corners or bumpy sections. What's old is new again! :D

I'm really glad Tesla made them so easy to remove, and including the center cap/lug covers is downright classy (if correct).

I still wish the sport design could be had in 18s! :(

Reactions: C141medic