Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to take off the Aero Covers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With metal clips curious how fast the finish will get screwed up on the wheels

Taking them off and on will definitely damage the rim. I will probably take them off and leave them off.

It's a bit hard to decipher from the video, but it looks to me like the metal doesn't come into contact with the wheel and is just there to help strengthen the surrounding plastic clip and help it "spring" into its position.

I might be one of the weirdos who actually likes the look of the wheel cover. And I gain a few miles of range as a bonus. If they're really that easy to remove (with one hand), I could just remove them when I feel like it.
Also they're saying in Reddit that the OP might not even be the owner of the car because he was avoiding questions. Did I miss something?

Never mind. For some reason, I assumed it was the front wheel. It was probably the back wheel.
Yes, the front has fixed brake calipers .

model-3-1822-wheels-1.jpeg

Also they're saying in Reddit that the OP might not even be the owner of the car because he was avoiding questions. Did I miss something?

The person who posted the video is the same person who was kicked out of Tesla Fremont parking lot for crawling around Model 3 cars trying to find the battery sticker. Check out this topic (especially the title):

Last photo before I got kicked out, probably for crawling around the two cars looking for the battery sticker... I'm probably on a watchlist now at HQ • r/teslamotors

It's a bit hard to decipher from the video, but it looks to me like the metal doesn't come into contact with the wheel and is just there to help strengthen the surrounding plastic clip and help it "spring" into its position.
Yes, from what I can see it looks like the plastic portion of the clip is what comes in contact with the outward facing part of the spoke and the metal portion latches around the the back side of the spoke so any scratching will hopefully not be visible.

Last edited:
the guy is on facebook now claiming he did have permission by the owner to take the video, but reddit mods removed it anyway because the employee was presumably under an NDA. what drama. not even sure why this is such a big deal, now we know there are nice looking rims under the aeros.

Really? You think there will be strong demand for different ugly hubcaps to cover up the perfectly alright wheel revealed after taking off the factory ugly hubcaps? o_O

I think people will either stick with the factory covers because
1) they like them (ie, they have no sense of taste) ;)
2) they want the efficiency gains.

or they will rip them off and run either the standard wheel (if they like those), or replace them with aftermarket wheels if they don't.

I really don't think many would want to fit alternative hubcaps over the factory wheels.

Absolutely!
  • They are CHEAP to produce
  • No special equipment required to measure/size/shape
  • They can be CHEAP to buy
  • Many owner's are dissatisfied with factory solution
  • Company's think they can do a better aesthetic job
  • They are EASY to install / uninstall
  • Let people make their cars look unique
  • High volume of opportunity, 100K? 200K?
All the ingredients for the aftermarket market. I expect to see these things in droves.....

Absolutely!
  • They are CHEAP to produce
  • No special equipment required to measure/size/shape
  • They can be CHEAP to buy
  • Many owner's are dissatisfied with factory solution
  • Company's think they can do a better aesthetic job
  • They are EASY to install / uninstall
  • Let people make their cars look unique
  • High volume of opportunity, 100M? 200M?
All the ingredients for the aftermarket market. I expect to see these things in droves.....
I really doubt anyone would put wheel covers on any $35k+ car. Especially one which already has good looking aluminum wheels under the not-so-pretty factory covers, and they're easy to remove.

Yes, from what I can see it looks like the plastic portion of the clip is what comes in contact with the outward facing part of the spoke and the metal portion latches around the the back side of the spoke so any scratching will hopefully not be visible.

Idk. I actually don't think the metal contacts the wheel at all.

If you look at the spacing of the clips relative to each window, I think the plastic side of each clip is what presses against the spokes. And each pair of clips fits inside of each "triangle" in the wheel.

Also, if you look at the shape of the metal piece, it doesn't look wide enough or shaped appropriately to wrap around and grab onto the back of one of the spokes anyway.

(I'm sure someone with the skills and motivation can do a better job of mocking it up than me...)

upload_2017-9-14_16-2-27.png

upload_2017-9-14_16-11-41.png

upload_2017-9-14_16-3-38.png

Last edited:
Idk. I actually don't think the metal contacts the wheel at all.

If you look at the spacing of the clips relative to each window, I think the plastic side of each clip is what presses against the spokes. And each pair of clips fits inside of each "triangle" in the wheel.

Also, if you look at the shape of the metal piece, it doesn't look wide enough or shaped appropriately to wrap around and grab onto the back of one of the spokes anyway.

(I'm sure someone with the skills and motivation can do a better job of mocking it up than me...)

View attachment 247662

View attachment 247666

View attachment 247664
You did a good job, I completely agree. My idea would have involved much more complicated clips. Everyone ignore my previous post. ;)

Absolutely
  • High volume of opportunity, 100M? 200M?

100Million? Even if you are talking wheels/covers rather than sets, that means Tesla needs to sell 25Million cars with Aero rims since covers for the Aero rims will only fit the Aero rims. Even at 500,000 cars per year that is 50 years production.. And if only half of them buy Aero rims it's 100years production. And realistically there will be a facelift in <5 years anyway.

I think your reality check bounced.. :)