Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to tell battery size [79 vs 82?]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How to tell battery size
As my new M3 was probably built around the transition from 79 and 82kwh batteries, where can I find my car's info on the screen or somewhere else?

If you have a 2021 AWD, you likely have a 77.8kWh battery. If you have a 2021 Performance you likely have an 82kWh nameplate with about 80.5-81kWh.

But, any owner can determine their BMS estimate of capacity, with one simple picture, taken at a reasonably high SoC: here is a description of the method (with caveats regarding temperature, and that it's giving you what the BMS thinks, which is usually nearly perfect, but occasionally can be off):

(In Model Y forum but it will work for Model 3 too)

Method to see maximum possible available energy

Also, for general discussion of the batteries in Model 3 2021, you can see this thread:

2021 Model 3 - Charge data

It will also give you info on how to take a picture of your battery label, if you REALLY don't believe what the car tells you.

• Helpful
Reactions: jjrandorin
The Ingenext mod also shows your Nominal KWH (current energy) and Beginning of Life Energy (from when your car was new). Tesla could easily provide this information in their gui but they choose not to.

Here's mine for example:

Screenshot_20201202-1259441.png

I have a bit higher degradation than normal for my mileage (35k) unsurprisingly - as I have supercharged a fair bit and ran the car hard over hundreds of 0-60 and 1/4 mile runs.

• Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Also, if you want to be happy, you should stop worrying about the kW rating.
Tesla is selling you values/results, and using components that live up to those numbers. If they don't have 77kW batteries the day your car was built you might get a 82kW battery because there's no way they're gonna stop production. If you focus on whether it lives up to what's promised instead of worrying about if your neighbor got some parts that are better then you're much more likely to be happy with the car.

Also also: There's speculation that the 82kW battery has a higher internal resistance, so while you might get some more potential range you might also be stuck with a car which is just plain worse at low SoC. So again, if you want to be happy, don't go digging before you actually find something wrong.
I can almost guarantee that Tesla won't give you a new battery as long as the one you have meet the expectations, so there's no way to go from disgruntled to happy.

My happiness is not your business. So don't make assumptions about my motives for inquiring about battery capacity. Unsolicited advice never goes very far.

(moderator note)
For more information on this battery, please consult the following thread, and post any further questions or comments on this topic in that thread:

MASTER THREAD: 2021 Model 3 - Charge data, battery discussion etc

I am locking this thread as further discussion should be in that thread referenced above. I am not moving these posts into that thread because of the way the forum software works in moving posts by post date.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Status
Not open for further replies.