TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

How to tell if cabin heater is on

Discussion in 'Model 3: User Interface' started by IamMark, Jan 3, 2020.

1. IamMark

IamMark Member

Alright, probably a stupid question, but is there a way to tell that the cabin heater is being used besides feeling warm air coming out of the vents? I know it is more energy efficient to use the seat heaters, but how do I know the heat from the HVAC system is off?

Thanks.

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  2. Need

Need Active Member

Not near my car right now, but I think the air flow graphic (if you hit the fan icon) will show a hint of red if heat is on.

3. thefortunes

thefortunes Active Member

The temperature will show white if HVAC is on, gray if HVAC is off.

4. IamMark

IamMark Member

I'm referring specifically to the cabin heater, not just if the HVAC system is on or not.

• Like x 1
  5. AdamMacDon

AdamMacDon Member

As far as I know there is no separate display in car to show you the PTC heater is working. There is also no way to disable the heat for a fan only effect. A shame as that would be a great range saving feature.

• Love x 1
  6. pl8dlikafiddle

One trick I use is set temperature to “LO” and set fan to 1. This seems to turn the heater off.

This works when humidity is good and temperature is in the mid 40s to 60s. I turn on the seat heater as needed.

7. AdamMacDon

AdamMacDon Member

Yeah as long as you disengage the AC this should work well. I wish they'd just give us a button for it so I could leave it in auto with heat off though!

• Love x 1
  8. pl8dlikafiddle

Whoops - you’re correct. I forgot to mention I turn off auto mode and make sure AC is also off.

9. diamond.g

diamond.g Active Member

The airflow "display" used to actually change color to denote which system was on; in like mid to late 2018 they changed it the the basic white we see now.

10. derotam

derotam Member

The display in the Phone APP will toggle between Red for Heating, White for nothing, and Blue for Cooling. Caveat with that is that when it is White, it might be lying to you.

• Like x 1