Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

how to tell if car has FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To be sure it is likely you will have to call Tesla with the VIN to see if they will tell you.

The dealership could tell you if the Autopilot tab has Navigate on AP, but that will not tell you if it has FSD over EAP (well depending on year car was made).

This question comes up a lot and unfortunately there is no easy answer. You can look through the autopilot screen or even test drive the car and enable the navigate on autopilot, which is a feature of FSD. Or you could see if lane change while on autopilot is enabled - also an FSD feature.

However, if the car is a 2017-early 2019 model it’s possible that the original owner purchased Enhanced Auto Pilot, which at the moment has the same features as FSD but does not entitle you to the HW3 hardware upgrade or any future FSD features like city driving or stop light recognition.

You will need them to call Tesla while you are there and ask Tesla to look it up by VIN to see if FSD was purchased...and hope Tesla gives you the correct answer.

Reactions: APotatoGod
You can look through the autopilot screen or even test drive the car and enable the navigate on autopilot, which is a feature of FSD.
OP stated the car is “out of state” so presumably he does not have easy access to it.

@diamond.g I agree this question seems to come up frequently. I searched the Model 3 forums for it but could not find other threads through I am certain they exist. Problem is figuring out which words to search for.

@robl45 I agree with the other posts so far in this thread: contact Tesla and ask.

You can use the app on the phone (has to be the owners phone) and see if any upgrades are available for the vehicle. If you shows none available on a recent build, there's are pretty high probably that it has FSD. Also log into the owners My Tesla website and do same.

You can also go to the main screen and look at the autopilot tab and see if anything is grayed out

If the dealer is not familiar with Tesla vehicles I doubt they knew to have the seller request an ownership transfer with Tesla,
which would have created a new user account for the dealer to use. They will be able to drive the car using the key card but the smart phone functionality will not be available until they register the car under a new name with Tesla.

Is this a new car or an older (more than about 8 months old) car? If it's new and has Navigate on Autopilot, it has FSD. If it is older, it may have the old Enhanced Autopilot (which includes NoA). In this case the only way to tell is to check the car's online profile (if it is still registered to an account) or ask Tesla.

I actually bought a used M3 myself and had to go through this.

I found that calling the nearest Tesla Sales store worked just fine. I was honest about what I was calling for and they happily looked up quite a few VIN's over a few weeks for me. They told me it was a fairly common call they get.