Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to tell if car has MCU1 or MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all, apologize if this has been covered, I could not find it during a search. I am going to look at a 2018 S (75D) on Saturday and plan to purchase. One of the things the dealer cannot tell me (not a Tesla expert) is if it has MCU1 or MCU2. I know that MCU was still used in the "early production" 2018 S models, but don't know the production date of this vehicle. The in service date was September of 2018, but not sure how/where to find the production date. Is there a way of telling by looking at the screen in the car which MCU it has? Thanks, Glenn

More quickly, you can also just click on the Entertainment and see what Arcade & Theater options are available. Beach Buggy 2 and a few others are only on MCU2. Netflix, Youtube only available on MCU2.
Thanks 1speed. I just had the dealer try that and he could not find a "entertainment" button. I did have him reboot and both screens rebooted, so hopefully that's a good sign of having MCU2.

Build date is on a sticker on the drivers side door, if it's april 2018 or later, it's mcu2. march can be a crapshoot. Jan / Feb is MCU1
An MCU1 car could've later been upgraded to MCU2. To be sure which MCU is installed, just follow the instructions @Shateam posted.
20210506_091012.jpg