Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to tell if Model S has Radar?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking at purchasing a new model S, most likely plaid, and want to know if there is a way based on VIN or other info to know if the car has radar or not?

I know since mid Feb all S and X's are also purely Tesla Vision but after speaking to someone at Tesla, who initially said all Model S cars still had radar, circled back and found one in inventory that he mentioned had radar.

I know the refresh has better headlights but I've heard the vision has a lot of phantom braking so I'm leaning towards the radar.

I'm looking at purchasing a new model S, most likely plaid, and want to know if there is a way based on VIN or other info to know if the car has radar or not?

I know since mid Feb all S and X's are also purely Tesla Vision but after speaking to someone at Tesla, who initially said all Model S cars still had radar, circled back and found one in inventory that he mentioned had radar.

I know the refresh has better headlights but I've heard the vision has a lot of phantom braking so I'm leaning towards the radar.
Keep in mind that over time the software won’t care if you have Radar or not, it won’t use it. Just as it does on FSB Beta. Eventually everyone will be on “FSD Beta” Vision Only.

As others said, radar will most certainly be disabled in the near future as all new Model 3/Y/S (maybe X as well) won't be shipped with radar. It will not make any sense for Tesla to continue supporting radar as they focus on vision only and transition everyone to it.

If I were you, I get the car with new lights.

Reactions: doubleshot