TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

How to tell if switching electric plans makes sense?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by gregtopf, Sep 12, 2017.

1. gregtopf

gregtopf Member

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but hopefully someone can help.
    Just recently got my MS and love it. I normally destination charge at my work's parking, but I also want to be able to charge nightly at home. I'm all wired up, but I was working with my electric company to see about their plans.
    Right now I'm on a flat rate so it doesn't matter if I charge day or night. They do have a peak/offpeak plan, but as I was talking to them, they really tried to steer me clear of it. They said that it's great for electric cars, but during the summer, the peak rates are so high that a lot of people get upset.

I'm attaching the snippet with the rates.

Capture.JPG

Looking for any thoughts/advice.

2. Ulmo

Ulmo Active Member

If you lived near me, I'd say: "Get PG&E Toolkit, $5, iPhone app. I saved about $300. (If you don't want to pay $5, then go ahead and don't save $300. Your math.) It's awesome." But, I think their app is rather location specific.

3. gregtopf

gregtopf Member

Looks like no Android version :(

4. DrivingRockies

I'd stay (and am at my locale) with the flat rate.

5. azred

azred Member

I live in Phoenix area and my electric provider has an electric vehicle plan but in order to change from my current time of use plan that has three hours of high rate Summer hours, I would now have seven hours of high rate. I am home a lot but don't mind lowering the AC for three hours as my house is well insulated. Lowering the AC for seven hours is another matter.

So I have passed on the electric car rate which would allow a cheap middle of the night Tesla charge, but would be awful in terms of AC comfort. It sounds like your utility is telling you the same situation exists for their customers. BTW, even with my current plan, I can examine daily usage online and have determined I use about $1 of electricity for 50 miles of Tesla range. Compare that with what I'd pay for 50 miles of range in most ICE vehicles and you can see even a non-electric car plan is treating me well. Your utility may not be so kind to your pocketbook, of course.

• Love x 1
  6. gregtopf

gregtopf Member

It's interesting to hear @azred. So I guess they weren't crazy when they said it might not make sense. It's not a huge cost from my end even if I stay where I am with rates since 90% of the time I'm charging at work.

Then again I'm also looking at Tesla Solar...:)

7. oktane

oktane Banned

Is there an SCE version of the planning app?

8. drewg123

drewg123 Member

Sounds like a powerwall might be able to fix that, but it would probably take a long time to pay for itself.

9. Zaxxon

Zaxxon Supporting Member

Do you have solar? That can be a huge boost to making ToU make sense, as its peak production tends to coincide with peak A/C use and the summer rate. Add in an EV where you have a large percentage of your total electrical usage happening on the lowest rate and the rest of your usage isn't as important.

This is assuming you drive a decent amount such that your EV charging is a significant portion of your overall usage.

I recently switched to my provider's ToU plan which is a bit more lenient than yours (we have our true peak only 2p-6p, and a shoulder rate that's a bit higher than the flat rate from 9a-9p outside of that peak period. Our off-peak is 9p-9a) although with less of a discount for our off-peak period, and it's been a big success for us so far. In the few months since we've switched, we've had very close to zero kWh consumed at the peak rate, and a huge majority of our usage is at the off-peak rate. But again, having a solar PV system is half the battle here.

• Like x 1
  10. ran349

ran349 Member

That sure seems low. What is your electrical rate? At 12 cents per kWh, it costs about $2 per 50 miles, and that is assuming your actual miles are equal to rated miles, which most people don't achieve.

11. EMP40

EMP40 Member

At those high rates solar will have a relatively short payback.

12. Buster1

Buster1 Member

@gregtopf Check this thread out. I measured our daily kWh at the meter for 5 days during peak hours during summer and came up with some numbers for the different plans in NV. Maybe you can do something similar and calculate a best guess for the year based on some known kWh usage rates for you.

Nevada EV Energy Rates/Plans...And You

13. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

SCE customer service was willing and able to look at my usage for several representative one-week periods in the past year and tell me what I would have paid under TOU vs tiered rates. Perhaps your utility will do the same. If you have a smart meter installed already, they have the usage data in their system.

14. jchag

jchag Member

Saved me $1K

15. outie

outie Active Member

I don't need to spend $5 on an app to save myself hundreds of dollars. I just needed to do some calculations on Excel.

Do you use AC during the day? How often do you/your family members use electricity during the on-peak hours? Can you shift your usage to off peak hours? No one knows your usage so no one can give you a correct answer. It's (much) more than just ev charging you need to consider.