Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to tell if switching electric plans makes sense?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but hopefully someone can help.
Just recently got my MS and love it. I normally destination charge at my work's parking, but I also want to be able to charge nightly at home. I'm all wired up, but I was working with my electric company to see about their plans.
Right now I'm on a flat rate so it doesn't matter if I charge day or night. They do have a peak/offpeak plan, but as I was talking to them, they really tried to steer me clear of it. They said that it's great for electric cars, but during the summer, the peak rates are so high that a lot of people get upset.

I'm attaching the snippet with the rates.

Capture.JPG

Looking for any thoughts/advice.

I live in Phoenix area and my electric provider has an electric vehicle plan but in order to change from my current time of use plan that has three hours of high rate Summer hours, I would now have seven hours of high rate. I am home a lot but don't mind lowering the AC for three hours as my house is well insulated. Lowering the AC for seven hours is another matter.

So I have passed on the electric car rate which would allow a cheap middle of the night Tesla charge, but would be awful in terms of AC comfort. It sounds like your utility is telling you the same situation exists for their customers. BTW, even with my current plan, I can examine daily usage online and have determined I use about $1 of electricity for 50 miles of Tesla range. Compare that with what I'd pay for 50 miles of range in most ICE vehicles and you can see even a non-electric car plan is treating me well. Your utility may not be so kind to your pocketbook, of course.

I live in Phoenix area and my electric provider has an electric vehicle plan but in order to change from my current time of use plan that has three hours of high rate Summer hours, I would now have seven hours of high rate. I am home a lot but don't mind lowering the AC for three hours as my house is well insulated. Lowering the AC for seven hours is another matter.

Sounds like a powerwall might be able to fix that, but it would probably take a long time to pay for itself.

Do you have solar? That can be a huge boost to making ToU make sense, as its peak production tends to coincide with peak A/C use and the summer rate. Add in an EV where you have a large percentage of your total electrical usage happening on the lowest rate and the rest of your usage isn't as important.

This is assuming you drive a decent amount such that your EV charging is a significant portion of your overall usage.

I recently switched to my provider's ToU plan which is a bit more lenient than yours (we have our true peak only 2p-6p, and a shoulder rate that's a bit higher than the flat rate from 9a-9p outside of that peak period. Our off-peak is 9p-9a) although with less of a discount for our off-peak period, and it's been a big success for us so far. In the few months since we've switched, we've had very close to zero kWh consumed at the peak rate, and a huge majority of our usage is at the off-peak rate. But again, having a solar PV system is half the battle here.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
So I have passed on the electric car rate which would allow a cheap middle of the night Tesla charge, but would be awful in terms of AC comfort. It sounds like your utility is telling you the same situation exists for their customers. BTW, even with my current plan, I can examine daily usage online and have determined I use about $1 of electricity for 50 miles of Tesla range. Compare that with what I'd pay for 50 miles of range in most ICE vehicles and you can see even a non-electric car plan is treating me well. Your utility may not be so kind to your pocketbook, of course.
That sure seems low. What is your electrical rate? At 12 cents per kWh, it costs about $2 per 50 miles, and that is assuming your actual miles are equal to rated miles, which most people don't achieve.

Just recently got my MS and love it. I normally destination charge at my work's parking, but I also want to be able to charge nightly at home. I'm all wired up, but I was working with my electric company to see about their plans.
Right now I'm on a flat rate so it doesn't matter if I charge day or night. They do have a peak/offpeak plan, but as I was talking to them, they really tried to steer me clear of it. They said that it's great for electric cars, but during the summer, the peak rates are so high that a lot of people get upset.

I'm attaching the snippet with the rates.

View attachment 247194

Looking for any thoughts/advice.
SCE customer service was willing and able to look at my usage for several representative one-week periods in the past year and tell me what I would have paid under TOU vs tiered rates. Perhaps your utility will do the same. If you have a smart meter installed already, they have the usage data in their system.

I don't need to spend $5 on an app to save myself hundreds of dollars. I just needed to do some calculations on Excel.

Do you use AC during the day? How often do you/your family members use electricity during the on-peak hours? Can you shift your usage to off peak hours? No one knows your usage so no one can give you a correct answer. It's (much) more than just ev charging you need to consider.

I don't need to spend $5 on an app to save myself hundreds of dollars. I just needed to do some calculations on Excel.

Do you use AC during the day? How often do you/your family members use electricity during the on-peak hours? Can you shift your usage to off peak hours? No one knows your usage so no one can give you a correct answer. It's (much) more than just ev charging you need to consider.
Spend the $5 and save yourself a lot of trouble!!!!

We are in the Los Angeles area and we are with Southern California Edison. We are paying 13c per kW for super off peak rate-- after 10 pm. It is 25c per kW during daytime, so we charge at night.

Here in Texas, TXU is offering free nights and solar days:

Your Texas Electricity Company | TXU Energy

I looked into this plan and while it could work out well, I think this plan may be better:
VOLT ELECTRICITY PROVIDER | Residential Signature Power Plans

They offer a 100% renewable plan that averages out to 8.5 cents per kWh and the time of use off-peak time is a full 12 hours instead of the TXU plan which is shorter, I want to say only 9 hours. The TXU plan charges 14.4 cents during the day and free at night, and I think the Volt EP plan ends up being cheaper most of the time.

Either way check both out, worth looking in to.

I was looking at this myself and decided that since I haven't yet installed a high powered charger, I'm sticking with my old plan. After the charger is installed (next year), it'll make sense to switch since I can fully charge the car at night during off-peak hours. Right now when I do actually charge at home it takes so long that it doesn't finish charging during the off-peak hours. My house has solar, so that will help to offset the super peak costs.