Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to tell if windshield is well-sealed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I fortunately (or more like unfortunately) have my sister’s 3 to compare to, and without doubt my car is much more poorly built compared to her car.

I notice more wind noise in mine at higher speeds and I wonder if it might be a poor windshield seal? How can I tell for sure?

I fortunately (or more like unfortunately) have my sister’s 3 to compare to, and without doubt my car is much more poorly built compared to her car.

I notice more wind noise in mine at higher speeds and I wonder if it might be a poor windshield seal? How can I tell for sure?

Just to make sure I am clear here. You are stating your car was built more poorly than another car because you assessed wind noise with your ears to be different?

Compare the triangle piece in the side view mirrors. Yours may be separating at the top corner hence causing unwanted noise.

What's the fix? Mine's separating since day 1 so I had Tesla change it out under warranty and the replacement is exactly the same as the original - black plastic triangle piece still sticks out at top and looks like crap. And yes, they changed it because I watch the Mobile Tech change the whole mirror assembly out in my garage.

Mike

If you think you have a windshield seal issue, tape up the windshield and see if it makes a difference. Ultimate test is with an IR camera and cranking up the heat inside the car.

This "ultimate" test didn't work for me. My leak (on a Model X) was the rubber strip along the top of the drivers Door Panel on the INSIDE.
That rubber strip was supposed to contact the glass and it wasn't when the door was shut and the window was up. I had to adjust the glass to fix. So the "hot air" had to fill the whole door before escaping so nothing showed up on IR. But it sounded like the window was open.

Model 3 has a felt strip along that same spot against the glass so it's harder to know how tight/critical that should be.

Your idea is good, but I wouldn't call the IR camera the "Ultimate" test. Taping outside failed to locate my issue as well.

I found mine by putting a small towel along the top of the door panel and the noise was instantly gone.

As far as taping up method, he could tape the seams between the roof glass as well, which varies a lot with Model 3's (that also wouldn't show up on IR camera, nor the plastic triangle sticking out).

It could be an "Air Leak" or an "Air Disturbance" making wind noise. And a Leak might not be a direct path (like in my case).

Use blue painters tape to seal all the way around the windshield and see if that makes a difference.

What's the fix? Mine's separating since day 1 so I had Tesla change it out under warranty and the replacement is exactly the same as the original - black plastic triangle piece still sticks out at top and looks like crap. And yes, they changed it because I watch the Mobile Tech change the whole mirror assembly out in my garage.
I had that piece on the passenger side replaced by Mobile Service and I no longer hear noise from that area.

Have them change it again.

Reactions: NOLA_Mike
Interesting. I’m seeing the top of these triangle pieces pulling off on my 3. Might try some painters tape wrapped around that edge and see if it helps.

can they just be glued on with something like clear silicon?

They are a horrible design.

Tesla sometimes replaces, sometimes glues, sometimes double side tapes.

They are not designed to be glued or double side taped and that is a bandaid that can work for a while.

There is a hook on the Triangle that hooks a hole in the center of a wobbly piece of rubber. The hook is poor, what it hooks to is poor and the accuracy of the hook to the hole is poor.

The correct fix is to put something stiff on the inside of the hole and hook that.

Just a terrible design. It’s why they almost all have a poor fit. And if they don’t have an issue today they will tomorrow.

Reactions: NOLA_Mike
This "ultimate" test didn't work for me. My leak (on a Model X) was the rubber strip along the top of the drivers Door Panel on the INSIDE.
That rubber strip was supposed to contact the glass and it wasn't when the door was shut and the window was up. I had to adjust the glass to fix. So the "hot air" had to fill the whole door before escaping so nothing showed up on IR. But it sounded like the window was open.

Model 3 has a felt strip along that same spot against the glass so it's harder to know how tight/critical that should be.

Your idea is good, but I wouldn't call the IR camera the "Ultimate" test. Taping outside failed to locate my issue as well.

I found mine by putting a small towel along the top of the door panel and the noise was instantly gone.

As far as taping up method, he could tape the seams between the roof glass as well, which varies a lot with Model 3's (that also wouldn't show up on IR camera, nor the plastic triangle sticking out).

It could be an "Air Leak" or an "Air Disturbance" making wind noise. And a Leak might not be a direct path (like in my case).
The question was how to tell if the windshield is well sealed. There is another post somewhere demonstrating the use of an IR camera to find a windshield leak. Never said it was the ultimate solution to track down every noise in the car.

The question was how to tell if the windshield is well sealed. There is another post somewhere demonstrating the use of an IR camera to find a windshield leak. Never said it was the ultimate solution to track down every noise in the car.

And he said the reason was he hears wind noise. And I pointed out just because you hear wind noise it may not be a leak (or windshield seal). I know the thread you’re talking about. I’m just saying IR is a tool, not the ultimate tool. There has been like 50 threads on wind noise with half a dozen reasons, none of which an IR image would help. And like one that was a windshield seal. Most suggestions by folks was to correctly look for common air disturbance issues (triangle, seams across glass etc. )

Last edited: