Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

how to tell if you have upgraded audio?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hear me out: I sprung for the upgraded audio system, and to be honest, am a little dissappointed in the performance. As I have posted in another thread, I am having some audio issues that the engineers are looking into (the speakers have a crackle sound when playing audio from slacker; the fade/balance is not consistent when I switch between audio sources -- one is really far back, the other is centered) so maybe it is all connected together in terms of overall performance, and that I will be happy with the improvement once it is all fixed??

So my questions is: how do I know I indeed received the upgraded audio system??

I actually think it sounds pretty good but a bit weighted towards the front. I'm not an audiophile but I do appreciate quality equipment (I have Paradigm Signature speakers and Anthem pre and amps for my home theater). I do need to admit that I haven't listened to it for very long yet. Does anyone know the location of all the speakers (12?) with the upgraded sound? I can't seem to find a diagram.

I called TM the other day. during the call I mentioned that the sound system is tricky to adjust, that it feels like most of the horsepower is way up in the front and that adjusting the fade to the back only seemed to reduce volume and the fidelity and not really give me the fully engulfed feeling I prefer. over the cars I've owned, the one's with the best sound are the ones that you can't really tell where the music is coming from.

the guy mentioned that they are working more on the software. the weirdest thing is that not long after the call, I got in the car and it was like someone had magically tweaked the fade and the full surround effect was working, maybe it's that some songs are recorded with the latest dolby and some aren't either that or I'm extremely suggestible and optimistic about what is possible. the difference was significant enough that I really do wonder if they somehow made an adjustment without me downloading anything new. the speakers in the back doors were suddenly way more substantial, something I had specifically mentioned on the call (that they needed a boost, like they were turned off).

my conclusion about the sound so far is that all the right ingredients are there, I have no regrets getting the upgrade, but that Tesla has a little more work to do in order to allow this system to really dazzle the way I think it can... different music sources really shouldn't have such a drastic effect on fade.

Now perhaps I'm missing the point here, but when you go to a concert the music is in front of you. The speakers in the rear are, I thought, just to recreate the atmosphere (sound reflections) of a proper music hall. So having the music coming from the front seems like the right thing to do.

I've tried with Dolby on and off and there just isn't much difference. Maybe as I get used to it I'll be able to tell the difference.

There is an option in the Slacker settings to improve the audio quality, make sure that it is checked.

I have no issues with audio quality and it compares very favorably with other luxury vehicles that I own. Obviously no audio system will correct bad source data so it is important to make sure that the bitrate and data quality is at its best setting. I also turn off dolby.

Now perhaps I'm missing the point here, but when you go to a concert the music is in front of you. The speakers in the rear are, I thought, just to recreate the atmosphere (sound reflections) of a proper music hall. So having the music coming from the front seems like the right thing to do.

I've tried with Dolby on and off and there just isn't much difference. Maybe as I get used to it I'll be able to tell the difference.

That's the same question I am asking myself.

I don't want the sound coming much from the back. The stage is upfront...

It's way better with Dolby off. I have the eq moved towards rear and to the left to center on me. Bass up some too. Can't wait for the fix to the rear speakers for my passengers, but I'm pretty happy now. It's not super powerful, but is sharp compared to other systems with no distortion on high volume, just a bit hollow and lacking oomph.

I drove my BMW 550i today for the first time in a week. I must say the ICE feels like something from the Stone Age compared to the Model S! However the sound system puts the Studio Sound to shame! I have good ears and place value on good audio.

This is definitely an area for improvement for Tesla!

I'm not sure yet, but I think Tesla may have done something really remarkable with the sound in the S, and that is to create real soundstage imaging in a car. It's an incredibly difficult environment in which to accomplish that, but I find that, listening to lossless music, I get imaging in front of me in the S that is similar to what I get with my PSB (outdoor) and Martin Logan (indoor) listening environments at home. I've had some nice car audio systems, but never one with anything approaching real imaging. Faked "surround," if done well, can make a poorly-imaged car audio system sound "good", but in the case of the S, turning the (quite bad) surround off opens the door to what I think is a unique car audio experience. It's almost distracting - driving along, and hearing guitar off to the left, bass off to the right, etc. - just as if you were standing at the stage at a small club. If the soundstage imaging in the S was by design, then it's one more area where Tesla had the ambition and skill to take this car far beyond expectations. If an accident, then ... I kinda hope they don't "fix" it.

Agreed. And I am an audiophile (although by golden-ear standards, a low-end one).

The clarity and detail I can hear in the upgraded system is tremendous. Sure, you can do better with an aftermarket system but for a stock system, it's really good. That combined with the lower noise floor makes me want to listen to classic music (for the first time ever) while driving a car.

As for having the soundstage in front, I think it's a matter of what you're used to. Most of us are used to being enveloped by sound in cars. This isn't what music typically sounds like though.

I left the imaging alone in my car for months, in part because I like the imaging and in part because with young kids in the back on long trips, having it quieter in the back for better napping is a good thing.

I played around with the fader the other day and was surprised to find that I've gotten to like that forward windshield-based soundstage. It's not nearly as good as my home system (Thiel CS 2.3's) of course but the imaging, detail and overall clarity is as good or better than what I hear out of a typical home stereo system. And when you turn up the volume a bit, you get the surround w/o losing the imaging in front.

And yes, I play exclusively lossless bits. Even with 320 kbps compression, you lose a lot of high-end detail and openness. Two things that the upgraded sound system excel at reproducing, come to think of it.