Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to tell is a Tesla is done charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

__b_

Jan 17, 2017
Austin
At my office we have a few parking spots for electric vehicles. There are charging stations that can reach several different spots which is awesome. Usually we unplug a car when it is done charging and plug in the next one. If you want a charge, you leave the charging door open.

Unfortunately I don't know how to tell if a Tesla (in this case a Model S) is done charging. On the LEAF its easy as there are blue LEDs that blink while charging and the charger can be locked while charging and automatically unlock when finished.

I would not unplug someone's car unless I knew it was finished charging. How can I tell?

Unfortunately I don't know how to tell if a Tesla (in this case a Model S) is done charging. On the LEAF its easy as there are blue LEDs that blink while charging and the charger can be locked while charging and automatically unlock when finished.

I would not unplug someone's car unless I knew it was finished charging. How can I tell?

Unless I am mistaken, if the Tesla is locked you will not be able to get the charger out of the charge port.

I never charge at public chargers, so perhaps I am mistaken about the etiquette of this too, but I'd be pretty annoyed if anyone messed with a charger plugged into my car.

Unless I am mistaken, if the Tesla is locked you will not be able to get the charger out of the charge port.

I never charge at public chargers, so perhaps I am mistaken about the etiquette of this too, but I'd be pretty annoyed if anyone messed with a charger plugged into my car.

In this case, it is likely a J1772 charger and the Tesla would be using the adapter. The adapter is locked into the car by the charge port, but the J1772 plug is not locked to the adapter, so it can be unplugged UNLESS there is some kind of separate lock the owner is using.

If the Tesla is locked, it doesn't give any indication when it's done charging. So, you have to look at the charging station and see if it says there.

It would be nice if they added a setting to show charging status lights when locked. It would be even nicer if EV companies agreed on what charging lights meant. Every EV has different patterns of blinky lights to mean different things.

Reactions: eprosenx
The only external indicator Tesla gave us is the lighted ring around the charge port (or three lights next to it on some European cars.) This pulses rapidly when the car is low on charge, then slower as it gets fuller, and should go a solid green when fully charged.

Unfortunately, that goes dark after a while if the car is locked.

Pressing the button won't allow you to remove the plug from a locked Tesla but will interrupt the charge, which may or may not resume depending on the station. (The J1772 adapter doesn't lock the plug to the adapter, but will lock the adapter to the car.)

At the moment, Tesla hasn't given us a "unlock when charging is finished" option for the plug, or a way to override the charge light going dark. Both of these seem like logical additions to future firmware, along with a more flexible smart scheduled charging set like GM just gave the Bolt (and since this is Tesla, they should add geotagging for the scheduled charging options, so it can behave one way at home, another at work, and a third everywhere else, switching automatically based on the car's location once the locations are programmed.)

In this case, it is likely a J1772 charger and the Tesla would be using the adapter. The adapter is locked into the car by the charge port, but the J1772 plug is not locked to the adapter, so it can be unplugged UNLESS there is some kind of separate lock the owner is using.

Yes, good point.

Am I wrong to think it is poor etiquette to unplug a stranger's car?

Yes, good point.

In the past in the CA EV community, I think it was considered normal/acceptable, provided the car had finished charging. People would also leave cars near the charger with the port sitting open in hopes of being plugged in when you leave.

Things have changed, both with more stations and more people who aren't enthusiasts buying EVs, and with new laws (I think the new CA law allows ticketing an EV that's parked in a charging space if it isn't plugged in?) that may change this somewhat. I'm not sure we've reached a new "normal" yet.

• Informative
Reactions: Andyw2100
Yes, good point.

Not at all! In this particular case, it seems to be a group trying to coordinate sharing the juice. Quite a different situation.

It really is a delimma if you really need the charge and someone else is plugged in.

If I'm charging and there is a possibility of this situation happening, I have a placard for the window with my phone number in case someone else's need is greater than mine.

This is one of the reasons I don't participate in the destination charger program much. I'd be furious if I paid a premium price for a hotel I would never normally book so that I could charge, and someone else was already plugged in and gone to bed.

I have no idea if this app works on just any old charger since I don't have a Tesla yet, but it may be worth a try:

SuperchargerQR on the App Store

From the app description, it works like this:
  • You print a QR code which you place on your dash when charging.
  • When somebody else arrives and wants to charge, they scan your code with their SuperchargerQR app.
  • You receive a notification that somebody is waiting for your spot.
I think it's a cool solution and hope it works with any old charging station and any old EV -- sounds like it should, really. The only really Tesla-specific part is optional: you can link the app to your My Tesla account to provide the newcomer with an estimate of how much longer it will be until your car is full.

App last updated May2014. I'm not sure another owner would even know to try to scan the QR code. I like the idea of a placard/note on the dash with expected return time and/or a cell number to call....

Someone in these forums posted a link to a form you can print out and laminate with two sides....different messages depending on your charging need....

App last updated May2014. I'm not sure another owner would even know to try to scan the QR code. I like the idea of a placard/note on the dash with expected return time and/or a cell number to call....

Someone in these forums posted a link to a form you can print out and laminate with two sides....different messages depending on your charging need....
I get your hesitation, but if it's a good solution, why not give it a go? If a few Tesla people start using it, the app just might catch on. If there were ten apps like this all competing, it would get messy really fast, but since it's just the one app, I don't have an issue with downloading it to check it out.

I am totally not cool with putting my contact details out for Joe Public to see, which is why I think the app is such a great concept. If you print your QR code from the app, it includes simple instructions for the person waiting to charge. It says to download the app and then scan the code to notify the owner of the charging vehicle. If it's too hard for somebody to do that ... they don't need to charge that badly. ;) :p

Last edited:
Yes, good point.

It is poor etiquette, imo - but even worse is to leave your car plugged in at a public charger with no note as to when it will be done or how to contact you. That's proper etiquette.

If people don't have a hang tag similar to one of these, you can do it old school and just leave a handwritten note in the door frame near your charge port.

Screen Shot 2017-01-18 at 7.27.12 PM.png

I get your hesitation, but if it's a good solution, why not give it a go? If a few Tesla people start using it, the app just might catch on. If there were ten apps like this all competing, it would get messy really fast, but since it's just the one app, I don't have an issue with downloading it to check it out.

I am totally not cool with putting my contact details out for Joe Public to see, which is why I think the app is such a great concept. If you print your QR code from the app, it includes simple instructions for the person waiting to charge. It says to download the app and then scan the code to notify the owner of the charging vehicle. If it's too hard for somebody to do that ... they don't need to charge that badly. ;) :p

I've yet to see those work. And I've yet to have an issue by leaving my contact info on a small card near the charge port. But then, I use my real name on social media, too. :)

+1 bonnie! I personally don't have an issue with the card you posted (that was the one I was remembering) with my cell on it as I figure anyone who is likely to abuse the cell number on the card is far more likely to mess with the car when I'm not around anyway....Heck, one could even just get a google voice number and forward it to your cell if you don't want to give away your actual cell number.

• Helpful
Reactions: Falkirk
If you walk up to a car that is charging you can push he button on the charging handle and the ring on the charge port will light up and you can see the status.

Originally, when I got it in 2012, I the status was lit up beautifully whether I locked my car or not. However, very shortly after that, I installed a next firmware and whenever I locked my car, there would be no longer status light at the charge port even when I pressed at the cable's button.

I prefer that way because I don't want to attract attentions when I lock my car.

It's possible that recent updates can reactivate status light if you press on the cable's button. However, that only activates another charge session even if the last charge session was done and finished with.

I'm not sure why everyone says this is not possible. If you walk up to a car that is charging you can push he button on the charging handle and the ring on the charge port will light up and you can see the status.

The second you hit the button, it stops the charge. Depending on the station and circumstances, it may or may not restart when you release the button.

• Informative