Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to tell old S from refresh S from the back while driving.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used to believe that Model S had refresh only on front fascia in April 2016.

But I found out finally today that the back is a little different if you look closely on the bottom bumper.

I guess Tesla is doing favor to make old customers still happy as it is not very easy to tell from behind. :p

Old Model S
upload_2018-8-29_17-22-38.png

Refresh Newer Model S

upload_2018-8-29_17-23-1.png

The paint extends to the bottom on the newer one.

Still what a great timeless design! Not easy to make cars look this good from the back...

The 2012 Model S design still looks modern and elegant from the back in 2018. Franz is a master designer and among the best in the world for what he does. Tesla was very fortunate to hire him when the company was so young.

It must be so rewarding for him to see his designs redefine the modern automobile for the next century.

Still what a great timeless design! Not easy to make cars look this good from the back...

The 2012 Model S design still looks modern and elegant from the back in 2018. Franz is a master designer and among the best in the world for what he does. Tesla was very fortunate to hire him when the company was so young.

It must be so rewarding for him to see his designs redefine the modern automobile for the next century.

I agree. Without Franz, I don't think Tesla would be where it is now.

Tesla is one of the few nice looking EVs out there. All other EVs look terrible because they try to look too futuristic design that doesn't align with our tastes of design, although it may differ from person to person.

First time I saw Model S, I fell in love. And I still do and I take a second look when I lock. Still beautiful car and I get a lot of positive comments from people.

• Love
Reactions: Akikiki
As mentioned the rear diffusers are different, IMO the legacy diffuser looked more aggressive and actually match the new aggressive front fascia, the new one looks too tame. They also skimped on adding diffused brake lights like the Model X, which also makes it difficult to tell them apart.

LEGACY DESIGN
tesla-recall.jpg

NEW DESIGN
2017-Tesla-Model-S-P100D-rear-end.jpg

Many people damaged the chrome diffuser when backing up into parking lots with the space bumpers. The front edge of the chrome hung down just a little lower than the rest of the plastic panels under there. People would back up too far and hang the tip on concrete. Sometimes the air suspension would let the car down. The driver would not know and would hang the tip on the bumper and pull the diffuser down and nearly off. I know a couple friends that did it just as I described. And it was not covered by warranty. I guess Tesla had a lot of complains and decided to adjust it so it did not hang on things.

Of course you cheated by showing the Legacy in black, and the new one in white...

I definitely prefer the refresh design on the back, the legacy chrome part just doesn't look well integrated into the design to me. And yes, the extended paint makes a big difference (unless you have a black car).

As mentioned the rear diffusers are different, IMO the legacy diffuser looked more aggressive and actually match the new aggressive front fascia, the new one looks too tame. They also skimped on adding diffused brake lights like the Model X, which also makes it difficult to tell them apart.

LEGACY DESIGN
tesla-recall.jpg

NEW DESIGN
2017-Tesla-Model-S-P100D-rear-end.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: BLKTSLA
An even more subtle difference between the legacy rear design and the refresh (actually introduced prior to the front refresh):

xICqjCG.jpg
9hV3j1h.jpg

The tip of the chrome fascia trim piece that extends into the rear taillight now has a smaller cutout area.

I have the new version on my 2015 because the tail lights had bugs in them so they replaced the entire rear applique with the current one.

Reactions: JPUConn
Of course you cheated by showing the Legacy in black, and the new one in white...

I definitely prefer the refresh design on the back, the legacy chrome part just doesn't look well integrated into the design to me. And yes, the extended paint makes a big difference (unless you have a black car).
One could get a five-gallon bucket of white-out and make the black diffuser stand out on the black S.

Yeah couldn't get a good straight on back shot of the new design in black...you know I would have put it in there if I did ;)

Reactions: timvracer

While I agree the refresh back looks nicer with the overall design, the older design definitely looks more sporty.

An even more subtle difference between the legacy rear design and the refresh (actually introduced prior to the front refresh):

The tip of the chrome fascia trim piece that extends into the rear taillight now has a smaller cutout area.

Also on the newer applique, the "TESLA" letters are larger. But you'd probably notice all the other cues before that.

Bruce.