Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to tell which Instrument Cluster I have? Gen 1 vs Gen 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tried to find this info on the forums before posting, but couldn't find my answer so I apologize if it's posted somewhere. I have a LOT of bubbles on our 2015 S 70D instrument cluster so I'm going to follow the procedure others have done to replace it with a used IC from eBay

Replacing instrument cluster

However, I'd like to know which version (Gen 1 or Gen 2) I have before I start opening up the dash, since I need to be able to drive the car while I wait for the part to arrive. Is there a simple way to tell which version I have, without opening up the dash first?

Old post, but good information to have in the internet search!
This is one of the most common questions I get. I have found that the easiest way to tell without pulling the whole dash out is to look at the instrument cluster surround. If it has a thick aluminum band around the outside, then it is a GEN 1. If it has a thin aluminum band, it is a GEN 2 screen. Here are some images: How to tell what generation instrument cluster you have on your Tesla Model S and X — Reel Deal

• Helpful
Reactions: Bueno