Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

how to test drive model X to the max? :)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

My local Tesla sale is nice enough to let my wife and I borrow model X for 2 nights from Xmas eve and return the day after Xmas since I am in the market for a bigger Tesla. I already own a model 3 and now my wife wants to swap her ICE SUV for a bigger Tesla car for herself. We were considering model Y but interior is pretty much same us model 3. So we are going to test drive model X during Xmas since we have nothing much to do with all the lockdowns and social gathering restriction.

What features should try out on model X? Is there a good YouTube video showing all the model X secret features beside falcon doors? Thank you so much!

Fair warning: we are Model 3 owners who also took Tesla up on an overnight test drive of an X last year. Now we're Model 3 and Model X owners.

Definitely test garage clearance for the doors. The car is much bigger than the 3, and in our small garage the Falcon doors only open about halfway. Still works for us.

Play with the auto-opening doors. Before we got the car, we thought the fully mechanical doors were a silly feature. Now we love them-- you can close all open doors with a tap of the fob.

Make sure you're ok with the high windshield, specifically the amount of sun it lets in. I love the view, but if you don't normally drive with sunglasses handy you may find it to be too much in the sun.

Coming from a 3, you will be annoyed at the lack of phone-as-key on the X. You can still open and start the car with the app, but it's a manual process that depends on both the phone and car having data access, unlike the 3 where it's automatic and only requires the local Bluetooth connection. I really hope Tesla makes this feature available for S/X eventually. That said, the fob works fine--I'd just sometimes prefer not to need it.

Good luck, and enjoy your eventual new X. ;)

Seems like the perfect timing for a test. Will be interested in your thoughts afterwards. Picking up with the concept that you are a model 3 owner, some of the differences to check out:
  • The air suspension and all the options in the main menu.
  • Difference in how you access trip meter data and which ones (if any) that you choose to have displayed in the instrument cluster behind the steering wheel.
  • The instrument cluster menu options - can change right and left displays from the scroll wheels. There is an extra energy graph not available on the model 3.
  • The difference in autopilot controls. With it being different hands, different stalks, different motions, my muscle memory sometimes gets an excercise when I switch cars. Because of this, I may have put the model X into neutral while driving a few times.
  • The much talked about stalk for windshield wipers.
  • The heated steering wheel.
  • The fob and all its capabilities (although personally I don’t use them. I just keep it on me as a passive device and don’t ever touch it.)
  • Being able to open and close all doors from the main screen. (How I miss this in the model 3.)
  • The differences in the console and what an awful location that the cup holders are in.
  • The awkward sun visors... but totally worth it to have the awesome windshield, IMHO.
  • The higher Wh/km.
  • Oh yeah, the quieter and smoother ride.

We traded in our 2018 RWD Model 3 for a 2020 long range plus Model X. Overall very happy with the change. We just had our second child and having two car seats in the model 3 was not going to work. My wife and I are both tall. We also have a Jeep Grand Cherokee but even that with two car seats is tight for us. We were surprised how well we fit with 2 car seats in the 2nd row of the model x. We opted for the 6 seat option and it is worth every penny. A adult can actually sit in the third row if needed and have their legs between the two captain chairs.

Reactions: DIL
I got the six seater over a year ago. It is the best looking interior. But I would go for the 7 seater if I buy another. You still get the extra condenser for the A/C . The captain's chair look good and are comfortable for short rides. But on longer rides the lack of arm rests begins to wear on second row occupants. And, of course, the captain's chairs don't fold so if you need that extra space it is not there.

I got the six seater over a year ago. It is the best looking interior. But I would go for the 7 seater if I buy another. You still get the extra condenser for the A/C . The captain's chair look good and are comfortable for short rides. But on longer rides the lack of arm rests begins to wear on second row occupants. And, of course, the captain's chairs don't fold so if you need that extra space it is not there.
Thanks for the insights. I’m about to order a 6-seater (for 3 kids most of the time). Re: Armrests... How does the 7-seater solve that?

Best to just drive around and use it like it was your own. See if the size works for you. Enjoy the smooth ride and higher drivers viewpoint.
Fun thing is the Christmas lights and music package on the dash that looks like Christmas ornaments. Will put on a little show for your family and neighbors. Must be parked on a flat surface with room for the doors to open fully. Delightful.

A big deal for many is just how easy it is to get in and out of. Not only through the falcon wing doors, but the drivers door as well. I have a bad back and that luxury is worth the price of admission by itself.

Please do not flog the car, as someone will end up buying that for their personal use as a demo discounted purchase.

thanks for all the tips. I will take it easy to test drive it :) Good tips esp the christmas and music package.

Does anyone know how does billing for supercharging work for overnight test drive? does Tesla bill me for supercharging? I would imaging that I cannot link my model 3 app with the car.

thanks for all the tips. I will take it easy to test drive it :) Good tips esp the christmas and music package.

Does anyone know how does billing for supercharging work for overnight test drive? does Tesla bill me for supercharging? I would imaging that I cannot link my model 3 app with the car.

I really doubt you will be billed for the test drive. However I doubt they expect thousands of miles added to the vehicle. They actually do not expect you to need to supercharge. But I am sure they won’t mind if you try it. It will not be linked to your app. You have to buy it first. Demos software typically limited to 85 Mph (140 kmh).

Fair warning: we are Model 3 owners who also took Tesla up on an overnight test drive of an X last year. Now we're Model 3 and Model X owners.

Definitely test garage clearance for the doors. The car is much bigger than the 3, and in our small garage the Falcon doors only open about halfway. Still works for us.

Play with the auto-opening doors. Before we got the car, we thought the fully mechanical doors were a silly feature. Now we love them-- you can close all open doors with a tap of the fob.

Make sure you're ok with the high windshield, specifically the amount of sun it lets in. I love the view, but if you don't normally drive with sunglasses handy you may find it to be too much in the sun.

Coming from a 3, you will be annoyed at the lack of phone-as-key on the X. You can still open and start the car with the app, but it's a manual process that depends on both the phone and car having data access, unlike the 3 where it's automatic and only requires the local Bluetooth connection. I really hope Tesla makes this feature available for S/X eventually. That said, the fob works fine--I'd just sometimes prefer not to need it.

Good luck, and enjoy your eventual new X. ;)
When I got my windows tinted they put a little extra on the front and it’s night and day with the amount of sun that come in. I usually wear sun glasses all the time, but after the tint I don’t need them. They sissy do the whole windshield just the upper portion. It’s not noticeable from the outside but I can tell while driving.

When I got my windows tinted they put a little extra on the front and it’s night and day with the amount of sun that come in. I usually wear sun glasses all the time, but after the tint I don’t need them. They sissy do the whole windshield just the upper portion. It’s not noticeable from the outside but I can tell while driving.
I should have spell checked! Sorry