Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to thin Tsportline touch-up paint for use with an air brush?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The short version
What paint thinner should I use with Tsportline's touch-up paint in order to use it with an airbrush?

The long version
On my MYP I'm going to replace the 21" Überturbines with 19" Tsportline TSVs:

19-tesla-model-3-y-s-x-tsv-flow-forged-wheels-uberturbine-satin-matte-gray-web-1_2000x.jpg

I don't like the Tsportline logo on the center caps (I have the same beef with 3d MAXpider mats - a big, ugly, garish white logo ruins the aesthetic) and want to replace the caps with either blanks or Tesla embossed caps, like these:

matte-black-tesla-wheel-center-cap-factory-model-3-y-s-x_800x.jpg

The problem is color matching - there are no satin / gunpowder gray caps that I can find to match the TSV's satin gray wheel color. Enter Tsportline's touch-up paint, which is a perfect match for their wheels; I'd like to use it to paint the center caps:

touch-up-paint-set-of-2-04_2000x.jpg

Next problem: it'll look like crap if I paint center caps with a brush, so I plan to use an airbrush and finish with satin enamel clear coat. However, there's almost no chance the thick, gloopy automotive paint will work in a low-PSI artist's airbrush, so I need to thin the paint.

I reached out to Tsportline to ask what thinner to use, but they didn't know. I asked what type of paint it is (enamel, lacquer, acrylic, etc) and they again said they don't know.

So... does anyone know what type of paint it is and what would be an appropriate thinner?

Thanks!

I reached out to Zink Wheels to ask the same question of their color match paint for Uberturbine wheels (same color as Tsportline TSVs in satin gray): Touch-Up Paint for Tesla Model Y Uberturbine Wheels

I got a response inside 5 minutes telling me that their paint guy says the paint should already thin enough to spray with an airbrush, but if not I could use a little lacquer thinner for the job.

Quite the difference in customer service! I'll be buying paint from Zink.

I reached out to Zink Wheels to ask the same question of their color match paint for Uberturbine wheels (same color as Tsportline TSVs in satin gray): Touch-Up Paint for Tesla Model Y Uberturbine Wheels

I got a response inside 5 minutes telling me that their paint guy says the paint should already thin enough to spray with an airbrush, but if not I could use a little lacquer thinner for the job.

Quite the difference in customer service! I'll be buying paint from Zink.

Thanks... happy to help!
:)