Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to top off the batter after some vampire drain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I routinely charge my M3 to 90%. If I don't drive the car for a couple of days, the battery loses 6 - 8 miles of range.

What I want to do is to top off the battery to 90% to recover the range lost to vampire drain before my trip. I found that simply unplugging and re-plugging the charging cable doesn't get the charging re-started. I do know that raising the charge limit would get the charging to resume. I could also drive the car for a bit (BTW, putting it in gear only or driving for a short distance won't cut it; I tried) and that would reset things. Just wondering if there are other ways to achieve this. Thanks.

Why? Are you taking a trip that is going to require that extra 6 miles range to get where you are going (I am virtually positive the answer to this is "no" because if it was "yes" you would simply increase the 90% into the trip territory)? Just leave the car plugged in when you are at home, and the car will charge when it needs to. You are just trying to force additional, very short charging sessions, and what is the gain for doing that?

Reactions: APotatoGod
My car is currently temporarily stored. Charging level set at 50%. The cars vampire drain is approximately 1%/day. As you can see from the following chart approximately every 3 days the charger kicks in and adds the 3% back. Great system.
Note: There are variances as I’m occasionally in and out of the car. Mostly because I miss it............

058D5F0F-E550-4147-87BE-C58A65CD39A9.png

Reactions: APotatoGod