Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to tow a Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone towed a Model 3? I presume it would have to be towed with all wheels off the road. My interest is to tow it behind an RV. I'm pretty certain Elon is not going facilitate simply having the vehicle just follow me. I'm interested in the weight of the vehicle and dimensions and any suggested lightweight car trailer from experience. Thanks!

Correct, cannot be "toad" in that manner, must be trailered:

Towing.PNG

Last edited:
Thanks for thoughtful replies. I'll try to find accurate dimensions, wheelbase and weight online. Was hoping someone had suggestions from experience into what brand or set-up would be best. Sorry for the original title. It's RVers jargon for a trailer that you put your car on and attach to your "Rig." Thought it would catch the eye of curious perusers. Learn something new everyday, eh? Thank again.

Sorry for the original title. It's RVers jargon for a trailer that you put your car on and attach to your "Rig." Thought it would catch the eye of curious perusers.
RV “jargon” like that is only understood by a small fraction of the general population. To be useful to TMC members, thread titles need to explain the topic of the thread. That way, as a member scans the list of threads in a forum they can decide what to read and what does not interest them.

• Disagree
Reactions: dennisvab
RV “jargon” like that is only understood by a small fraction of the general population. To be useful to TMC members, thread titles need to explain the topic of the thread. That way, as a member scans the list of threads in a forum they can decide what to read and what does not interest them.

I can't believe you castigated the poor guy over a simple terminology issue. Cheers...

At the bottom of this page Model 3 | Tesla there are weights, which are different for the Long Range compared to the Short Range Plus.
It varies with your exact model (battery size, one motor or two), but figure two tons (4000 pounds).
Performance and LR AWD is 4,072#, SR+ is 3,627#

It took some digging to find the numbers at the link

You probably should have just deleted them, because without the above as a preface, they're meaningless. Cheers...
Except:
Delete = censorship*
Move = housekeeping

*At least some people would think that. It's in the Forum Moderator 101 handbook (speaking from experience).

Thanks Kevy Baby! Now I need to calculate the towing abilities of the RV. Interestingly a 5,000 pound tow rating probably won't cut it (as explained by a *rocket scientist*.) Hoping to buy a Model 3 first (US assembled) and an older RV for towing to use in my annual Arizona sojourn next year.
If anyone is interested the article on towing capacity is here: How Much Can You Tow with a Small Motorhome?
Make sure to get an RV that will tow your Tesla. Gotta have priorities!

Fascinating read on the article (says the guy who doesn't RV)