Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to turn off "auto pair and play music" upon entering car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2013, no auto pilot.

Every time I get in the car, the car pairs with my phone (like I want), and starts playing music that is on my phone (that I don't want)

How do I turn off the music option, but still have the car pair with the phone for phone calls?

Brian
San Diego, CA

If you use Android the various apps used to stream/play audio have an option to disable restart on BT connection. I know the main apps I have this option anyway. I don't actively seek it out since I prefer my devices to resume whenever I get back in.

The only time this is a negative for me is when Tesla reintroduces a bug every few updates that they've had off and on for years now that causes your device to resume and stream even though you're not listening to it. This is especially annoying as it screws up where you were in podcasts and/or causes data issues if it launches a streaming app and starts streaming over mobile data. Pretty unacceptable bug from Tesla IMO. I digress.

Check your app of choice to see if it has an option to disable this on a per-app-basis as this will be the easiest/cleanest.

Reviving this thread. Is there any way to stop music, or more importantly, podcasts, from playing when any door is opened? It’s driving my wife nuts. She always has her purse or bags or something in the backseat and when she gets out of the car and opens the back door, her podcast starts playing again. I can sort of understand restarting media when opening the front door, although even this seems kind of dumb as you are generally getting set up to drive for a few seconds before paying attention to the media. But why on earth anyone would want the media to start when the back door is opened is beyond me. Is there any way to change this behavior? She’s using Bluetooth to play podcasts from an iPhone. Thanks!

Reactions: KingPaul
Reviving this thread. Is there any way to stop music, or more importantly, podcasts, from playing when any door is opened? It’s driving my wife nuts. She always has her purse or bags or something in the backseat and when she gets out of the car and opens the back door, her podcast starts playing again. I can sort of understand restarting media when opening the front door, although even this seems kind of dumb as you are generally getting set up to drive for a few seconds before paying attention to the media. But why on earth anyone would want the media to start when the back door is opened is beyond me. Is there any way to change this behavior? She’s using Bluetooth to play podcasts from an iPhone. Thanks!
Ditto! Quite annoying. Were you able to solve?

If you pause the music or podcast on your device before you leave the car, it shouldn't re-start when you get back in.

Well, not exactly a solution, but if the podcast or music is on the USB drive, it will not restart automatically if the car was off. For many years USB would start automatically, but this was broken about 5 years ago and has never been fixed. To restart where you left off, the voice command "Switch to USB" will resume. Now it does restart automatically upon entry if Sentry mode is on (which leaves the processor powered up). So if you always want USB to not start automatically, keep sentry mode off.