Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to turn off the automatic navigation to work and home?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
[Moderator note: thread title changed to more accurately describe the thread topic]

Since the last update (to 36.2.1), my car is set to navigate to my home as soon as I engage it for driving. Unless I'm AT home, then it navigates to my office. I've checked the settings and don't see any option to turn this feature on or off, so I have resorted to hitting the "cancel" button as soon as the display comes up.

Anyone else with this experience?

Last edited by a moderator:
Since the last update (to 36.2.1), my car is set to navigate to my home as soon as I engage it for driving. Unless I'm AT home, then it navigates to my office. I've checked the settings and don't see any option to turn this feature on or off, so I have resorted to hitting the "cancel" button as soon as the display comes up.

Check the options more closely. Car menu > navigation > automatic routing or something similarly worded.

(Always read the release notes after installing an update)

And why would it default to an option like that?
"Convenience". They assume that in the morning you are going to go to work if you are at home, and in the evening are going to go home if you are not, so automagically start routing you. It will (or should?) do the same thing if you have an entry on your calendar with a location, and you get in your car to go there.

This is supposedly a pre-pre-precursor to FSD whereby you wake up, get in your car, buckle up, take a nap, and awaken at work; though seeing will definitely be believing.

"Convenience". They assume that in the morning you are going to go to work if you are at home, and in the evening are going to go home if you are not, so automagically start routing you. It will (or should?) do the same thing if you have an entry on your calendar with a location, and you get in your car to go there.

This is supposedly a pre-pre-precursor to FSD whereby you wake up, get in your car, buckle up, take a nap, and awaken at work; though seeing will definitely be believing.

This would make sense without thinking about it much, but who here actually needs help to figure out how to drive between home and their work location? It's the one route you most likely don't need navigation for.

This would make sense without thinking about it much, but who here actually needs help to figure out how to drive between home and their work location? It's the one route you most likely don't need navigation for.

when you drive where I do (suburbs of Boston), you use navigation to get to work because there are multiple ways to get there, and thanks to our horrendous traffic, those routes can range from 45 minutes to an hour and 10 minutes.

it's not always Point A to Point B

Unless it's nav with traffic data.

In which case it potentially saves you a LOT of time when one route has a wreck or other major slowdown you otherwise wouldn't know about.

In which case it potentially saves you a LOT of time when one route has a wreck or other major slowdown you otherwise wouldn't know about.

Unless some Tesla's are different than mine, the traffic data is there whether you are using navigation or not, and the map is pretty much always on and on display. One quick glance, and you know which way you will be driving to work even considering current traffic. I don't see any value in using navigation.

Only a brief part of the area I drive through....road closures....accidents....restricted roads....

Not all of us drive in places laid out in a grid.

upload_2019-11-20_12-4-23.png

Reactions: ZappCatt
Unless some Tesla's are different than mine, the traffic data is there whether you are using navigation or not, and the map is pretty much always on and on display. One quick glance, and you know which way you will be driving to work even considering current traffic. I don't see any value in using navigation.
When I sit down in my car, the MFD's navigation area shows my apartment complex, and the adjoining road. This does not provide much insight into which of the several routes I will take. When I tell my car to navigate me to work (or, now, allow it to do so autonomously), it shows me which route will have the least congested roads.

I've checked the settings and don't see any option to turn this feature on or off,
Go to Controls > Navigation > Automatic Navigation and toggle it off. In the update you received this new features was installed with the default to “On”.

Note: I changed the thread title so that it more clearly explained the topic of this thread.

Supposedly live data is only visualized if you have the full premium interior.

Yeah, here in Los Angeles, I use Waze everyday driving to work even though I work at the same place for 23 years. It's not just for traffic... it is for the Police. Now that Tesla auto start the NAV, I use both but I get to turn off the screen on my phone. If there is accident or police, Waze is set to alert me via audio.

Reactions: ZappCatt